am also recollecting he takes cheese more serious than any non french person has a right to.

It seems that Winsconsin people have a fascination for cheese akin to that of the French. Is it known as the Dairy State or something?

He lives in California (or more specifically, Irvine, California, where the Obsidian office is), don't know if he's from Wisconsin. It's main nickname is the badger state, but it's other nickname is America's dairyland, since it's one of the main dairy producing areas and is particularily famous for it's cheese.

Ironic info dump time.

At my work I am sometimes known as the cheese master, as I know a lot about cheese.  So.  Cheese fo for you people. 

Wisconsin is home to most of America's cheese makers, in fact, there is even a product label for "real wisconsin cheese", because among elite cheese snobs being from Wisconsin tends to be an indicator of quality.  The winner of the 2016 World Championship Cheese contest (yes, this is a real thing) is in fact a cheese created in Wisconsin.  It is called Grand Cru Surchoix.  Fun additional fact, you may remember a weird set of commercials from some years ago featuring the actor Luis Guzman where he eats cheese and makes happy noises about said cheese.  He did these commercials because he loves cheese, and lives near where that particular cheese was made (cabot cheese in Vermont).  Vermont likes to try to compete with Wisconsin on Cheese, they are neighbors, but they are weak in the ways of Cheese, or at least not as strong as lord Vad.... uh Wisconsin.

The things you know.

Now that aside, California is also pretty big on dairy and well known for raising cows and such.  Haven't you seen the insane happy cow commercials?  Additionally California is a very big wine state, many wineries and vineyards.  Many uppity hoity toity people love them some wine... AND CHEESE, that's right drinking wine and sampling cheese with it is serious bizness.  So they make cheese in California too.  In fact I just found out there is even a website called California Cheese Trail (new cheese knowledge for me), you can use it to get a tour of the whole Cheese power structure of California.  Hence it isn't really surprising Sawyer is into cheese, lots of artsy Californians are.

Why is this an ironic info dump?  I hate cheese.  I will only eat it on pizza, or sometimes a pepper cheese on a burger.  That's it.  So it is really sort of odd that I know so much about it.  Like how not all cheddar are equal, the best cheese to eat with a summer sausage, the fact that there is a German style cheese maker called Kase Meister that has a cheese with leeks in it, and despite being german named and styled it is made in.... Wisconsin.

So anyway, who is looking forward to that class update :D?

• Like 3

Doubtful that Josh keeps an eye on this thread, but if anyone wants to watch a properly insane film starring Tomisaburo Wakayama, check out Under the Blossoming Cherry Trees. It's a horror film of sorts based on a superstition that blossoming cherry trees would drive those who walked underneath them mad - the story follows a mountain man (played by Wakayama) who kidnaps a rich noblewoman (played by director Masahiro Shinoda regular Shima Iwashlta*) to make her his wife, and whom following a stint under the blossoming cherry trees begins to develop a strange desire for severed heads. As with many Japanese New Wave filmmakers, though, it is the aesthetic where it's really at. Some amazing sequences and use of slow motion throughout.

*Seriously, someone needs to fix the language filter on this site, can't be that you can't spell Hanc0ck or Iwashlta correctly without getting these names censored.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I hate cheese.  I will only eat it on pizza, or sometimes a pepper cheese on a burger. 

... and I was really starting to like you. Seriously though, the only thing better than a glass of red wine, and a baguette with cheese is a glass of a good single malt scotch whiskey.

• Like 2

what is it with folks trying to out trivia each other recent?  am perfect aware 'o the cheese-wisconsin link.  

6415f07e858220940c5c4b1ce6f40691--green-

am also aware josh is from a small hamlet in wisconsin. know all kinda stoopid details given we has been doing this schtick on interplay/bis/obsidian boards for +17 years. 

having lived in chicago and visited wisconsin more than once, we got considerable experience with the cheese heads and wisconsin cheese.  the thing is, josh is the only guy we know from wisconsin who actual tweets 'bout cheese. sure, am guessing there is many a fromager in wisconsin who think 'bout cheese from sunup to midnight, but the average cow tippin packer fan is only interested in cheese when somebody suggests california cheese or french cheese is superior.

board has been goofy o' late.  is absence o' real news we s'pose.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 5

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

@Gromnir: That's the difference, you've been around the Obsidian boards for many years, I've been around here barely more than six months, so of course I'm not going to know where Josh Sawyer is from, and I was answering Sannon's question.

By this point, Josh probably knows where Gromnir is from, too. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 5

The winner of the 2016 World Championship Cheese contest (yes, this is a real thing) is in fact a cheese created in Wisconsin.  It is called Grand Cru Surchoix.

I looked it up, and that championship is run by © Wisconsin Cheese Makers Association.

Surprisingly, they like their own cheese.

I never suggested the seedy underbelly of the corrupt Cheese world was anything other than rigged.  I am glad you fact checked me though, Cheese knowledge should never be taken for granted.

Meanwhile, random cheese fact of the day.  The cheese from the Wallace and Grommit movie where he turned into a wererabbit is called Stinking Bishop.  It is also real, and smells worse than the name implies.

I hate cheese.  I will only eat it on pizza, or sometimes a pepper cheese on a burger. 

... and I was really starting to like you. Seriously though, the only thing better than a glass of red wine, and a baguette with cheese is a glass of a good single malt scotch whiskey.

Here have a Bierkase recipe as a peace offering.  It is Cheese.  Beer Cheese.

May I suggest at least a 5 years aged sharped cheddar?  Anything less, is uncivilized.

http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Bierk%C3%A4se

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 2

the thing is, josh is the only guy we know from wisconsin who actual tweets 'bout cheese.

I know there is another one at Obsidian. I can't remember whom exactly, but she's often included whenever Josh talks cheese, or he re-tweets her whenever she talks about cheese.

Here have a Bierkase recipe as a peace offering.  It is Cheese.  Beer Cheese.

May I suggest at least a 5 years aged sharped cheddar?  Anything less, is uncivilized.

http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Bierk%C3%A4se

:-D Peace offering accepted. 

Beer Cheese. World is such a wondrous place.

• Like 3

the thing is, josh is the only guy we know from wisconsin who actual tweets 'bout cheese.

I know there is another one at Obsidian. I can't remember whom exactly, but she's often included whenever Josh talks cheese, or he re-tweets her whenever she talks about cheese.

Katrina, our host for the recent video updates, sorely missed during #ObsidianPlays streams.

• Like 2

All Stop. On Screen.

Josh pops in at the Pillars subreddit, talking about savegame import:

In the game's intro, you have the ability to import a endgame (only) save game from Pillars 1. Your choices are imported as-is, but you're allowed to effectively create a new character with regard to sex, race, class, etc.

If you don't import a save game, you can load in an endgame state. We will have a small number of presets, but you will also be allowed to build your own or load in a file that someone else has built. In those cases, you're always building a character from scratch.

• Like 2

So, we can build our own endgame state...... How the heck many factors from endgame state get carried over from PoE1 to PoE2??

I suspect that the building our own endgame state from PoE1 will be a more attractive option compared to importing a save from PoE1.

As far as loading in files from someone else, are we going to have some sort of download repository for that? I had thought maybe Steam workshop, but not everybody is going to use Steam and PoE1 doesn't have a Steam workshop.

The only thing that I'm unclear about is: If I create my own endgame state, will I get to set ALL variables that are set when importing a save from PoE, or just a number of "bigger"/"more important" ones (and the others are set to a "default" state behind the scenes)?

I'd definitely like to be able to set all variables.

• Like 5

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

The only thing that I'm unclear about is: If I create my own endgame state, will I get to set ALL variables that are set when importing a save from PoE, or just a number of "bigger"/"more important" ones (and the others are set to a "default" state behind the scenes)?

I'd definitely like to be able to set all variables.

Yes, they are keeping us in the dark here too much.

What do

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...