not sure if folks is attempting humor or not.  smiley faces n' such makes ambiguous. the expansion companions clear got less development resources and were less integrated into the main plot line(s).  hardly seems fair to place all joinable npcs in the same pool when comparing quality. folks is padding numbers with tacked on expansion companions simple to make a point? or perhaps is sarcasm.

HA! Good Fun!

You're putting way too much attention on an element that is pretty irrelevant. It doesn't matter whether we include or leave out the expansions' companions, or whether Pallegina falls in our top 5 of 8 or not. Personally what I meant with it was that I liked her, and generally liked the companions in Pillars. I guess it's Wormerine's top 5 remark that prompted me to respond with my own. There's not much more to it.

then why play games with the numbers? we pointed out how there were only 8 companions. you are the person who observed you were including the expansion companions in your tally.  if numbers were irrelevant from the start, why make a point o' including expansion joinables? 

is genuine baffling responding to some folks.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

not sure if folks is attempting humor or not.  smiley faces n' such makes ambiguous. the expansion companions clear got less development resources and were less integrated into the main plot line(s).  hardly seems fair to place all joinable npcs in the same pool when comparing quality. folks is padding numbers with tacked on expansion companions simple to make a point? or perhaps is sarcasm.

HA! Good Fun!

You're putting way too much attention on an element that is pretty irrelevant. It doesn't matter whether we include or leave out the expansions' companions, or whether Pallegina falls in our top 5 of 8 or not. Personally what I meant with it was that I liked her, and generally liked the companions in Pillars. I guess it's Wormerine's top 5 remark that prompted me to respond with my own. There's not much more to it.

then why play games with the numbers? we pointed out how there were only 8 companions. you are the person who observed you were including the expansion companions in your tally.  if numbers were irrelevant from the start, why make a point o' including expansion joinables? 

HA! Good Fun!

Jeez, does it even matter? It's genuinely baffling to see what will trigger some folks too.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

HA! Good Fun!

HA! Good Fun!

It's genuinely baffling to see what will trigger some folks too.

dear lord.  in 2017, somebody using trigger/microaggression vernacular is pretty much akin to godwin's law violations, yes? predictable  exceeding point o' exhaustion... once again.

HA!  Good Fun!

ps the sensitivity o' some folks is what baffles us.  is disappointing how low a tolerance level for any kinda disagreement posters have these days.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

HA! Good Fun!

HA! Good Fun!

It's genuinely baffling to see what will trigger some folks too.

dear lord.  in 2017, somebody using trigger/microaggression vernacular is pretty much akin to godwin's law violations, yes? predictable  exceeding point o' exhaustion... once again.

HA!  Good Fun!

I have no other way to describe how badly you're getting your knickers in a twist about what was an innocuous expression. If it bothers you so much, then I'll take it back. Sorry, I didn't think about how I phrased my liking of a certain character. I'm dropping this now, bye.

• Like 1

The heck are you microtriggering about gromnir? Or at least that's what algoroth is saying. To be honest, I'm not sure what you two are arguing about atm anyway, Palleginas rating? And some wierd random derail over a smiliey? *is a little confused*

Edited by smjjames
  • Like 2

The heck are you microtriggering about gromnir? Or at least that's what algoroth is saying. To be honest, I'm not sure what you two are arguing about atm anyway, Palleginas rating? And some wierd random derail over a smiliey? *is a little confused*

Dunno. It's really no big deal - we can go back to discussing Josh's tweets and teasers.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

That's interesting. Pork is a food item

Alternately-- and I really hope this isn't the case-- it could mean that [shudder] prostitute bonuses haven't been left to rot in the dustbin besides the gold-named NPCs, and someone on the team is getting "clever" with placeholder names. 

EDIT:  OK, it's food.  Bullet dodged... for now.

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

You know what ?

[speculation On] : After Pre-Alpha took an end in August, leading to Alpha (AKA - Polishing Stage of Production)...

After all the Teasing Tweets about the Next Update. All the OBS Crew comments (Mikey & Aarik mainly)...

About how it's gonna be Glorious (Multi/Sub Classes Topic Update, surely will be great in itself)...

The Extra Weeks, taken to make it even more Great, was : "Worth It. Trust Us."

Don't you get somekinda feeling that : Like "Winter Is Coming"... The Backer Beta is Coming ?

I'm conciously being very optimistic here, but I can't help getting the feel that, the "Extra Spicy Stuff" promised that we'll get...

Might end up being related, in some form or another, to the Backer Beta... Or not Ahah !  :grin:

(Target Date they're aiming at ? Exact Release Date ?...)

We'll have to wait, but... Man, I can't wait to put my hands on this Game !  :banghead:

• Like 1

go and review the numerous favorite companion threads for poe

I don't give a ****, what others like. They liked Sagani. People even liked the new batman trilogy. For it's "character development and depth". So people are full of ****.

I didn't even really like Pallegina as a character or "person" if you want. But she is not badly written or something and in principle I like her story. I think it's good to have those characters written by very different people, so they all feel like different personalities. Pallegina adds a certain facette to the game, so does Durance. I'll miss the Avalone aspect and I would shurely miss the Sawyer aspect too. I like Fenstermakers and Patels work, but I wouldn't want a party of Eders or Aloths and certainly not Saganis. And that is exactly what I fear will happen in Deadfire. Just look at this party of happy folks they presented us.

---

We're all doomed

I like Fenstermakers and Patels work, but I wouldn't want a party of Eders or Aloths and certainly not Saganis. And that is exactly what I fear will happen in Deadfire. Just look at this party of happy folks they presented us.

You're talking about a WIP picture that fills a role of a teaser for the players. Don't be so hasty, mate.

• Like 2

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I'll miss the Avalone aspect and I would shurely miss the Sawyer aspect too.

Josh is still writing Pallegina in Deadfire, though.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

You're talking about a WIP picture that fills a role of a teaser for the players. Don't be so hasty, mate.

Yeah. Why not trust humans? What could possibly go wrong?

Josh is still writing Pallegina in Deadfire, though.

I know. I said I would. Gromnir would like to have him stop writing companions.

---

We're all doomed

Alternately-- and I really hope this isn't the case-- it could mean that [shudder] prostitute bonuses haven't been left to rot in the dustbin besides the gold-named NPCs, and someone on the team is getting "clever" with placeholder names.

Hah, that was quite... an unexpected assumption)

EDIT:  OK, it's food.  Bullet dodged... for now.

Yeap, it's food, and very potent at what it does.

Even Dragon Meat Dish was adding only +3 MIG - an equivalent of +0.09 dmg coefficient. And this one adds +0.15.

P.S. Now someone is asking real questions. In the end there is corpse-eater in the game.

/speculation on:

Release around march-april 2018 (iirc and as smjjames wrote, Josh indeed mentioned that they aim for Q1 2018)

Early-access / public-beta: february 2018

Backer's beta: november 2017 - january 2018

/ speculation off

/speculation on:

Release around march-april 2018 (iirc and as smjjames wrote, Josh indeed mentioned that they aim for Q1 2018)

Early-access / public-beta: february 2018

Backer's beta: november 2017 - january 2018

/ speculation off

[speculation On] : I guess they're going to announce that "November Date" then.

[speculation Off]

EDIT : Or not...  :p

Edited by DexGames

Considering the time you will put into this i suggest to spend at least 1000-1500€ to have some speedy cpu and at least a 17" monitor... I'm more or less in the same condition, in my desktop pc the game lags if i use more than 2 chars ( that was the main reason because i started solo runs)

go and review the numerous favorite companion threads for poe

I don't give a ****, what others like. They liked Sagani. People even liked the new batman trilogy. For it's "character development and depth". So people are full of ****.

I didn't even really like Pallegina as a character or "person" if you want. But she is not badly written or something and in principle I like her story. I think it's good to have those characters written by very different people, so they all feel like different personalities. Pallegina adds a certain facette to the game, so does Durance. I'll miss the Avalone aspect and I would shurely miss the Sawyer aspect too. I like Fenstermakers and Patels work, but I wouldn't want a party of Eders or Aloths and certainly not Saganis. And that is exactly what I fear will happen in Deadfire. Just look at this party of happy folks they presented us.

didn't appreciate pallegina but still wanna argue?  not surprised.  seems to be a trend.

'course "like" character seems to have fluid meaning. a well-developed character ain't necessarily one a player would wanna invite to a ball game or a movie, eh?  well developed characters can be loathsome, but needs must be intriguing.  dry? flat? is not best adjectives for a companion. 

oh, and for a game developer, popularity is gonna be an extreme important measure. is arguable the most vital measure.  is not as if josh is channeling his inner james joyce.  spend a decade getting a publisher who will release dubliners exact the way he wrote it rather than make compromise.  joyce didn't care 'bout sales.  sure, he cared 'bout audience, but the audience for joyce were idealized rather than the actual public.  he were writing for the select few now, and hopeful the future multitude, who might be able to appreciate his work.  am not thinking josh has such pretensions 'bout his writing, and lord knows such a perspective on publishing ain't viable for a game developer. 

all poe companions added to the core theme(s) o' the game in some way.  the companions were integral, if not necessary, for poe story.  if most players didn't care 'bout a companion, then such were a fail on the part o' the developers, a failure which would handicap full appreciation o' the game. most important quality o' the companions, for a developer o' Popular Entertainment Media must needs be enjoyment.  is axiomatic.  is not genuine up for argument.  elitist notions o' quality is swell and all, but is not particular relevant save for the individual espousing such notions.  quality in a product such as poe is largely meaningless, and utter wasted, if is not also enjoyable by the intended audience. 

as an aside, am thinking enoch slipped a gear while in california.  sophomoric humor? is not a criticism actually, but off-color is... uncharacteristic? perhaps enoch is one o' the few with a hacked boogie bass hanging on his home office wall?

kinda wish we had a hacked boogie bass. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Considering the time you will put into this i suggest to spend at least 1000-1500€ to have some speedy cpu and at least a 17" monitor... I'm more or less in the same condition, in my desktop pc the game lags if i use more than 2 chars ( that was the main reason because i started solo runs)

I have a big fat second monitor connected to my laptop. :)

Yeah, I'm aiming for something fast again. In 2012 my laptop was over 2000$ and was one of the fastest consumer-laptops. It also has an 18" screen and is a heavy monster. Used to be really fast. 5 years later and it's barely crawling. ;)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

as an aside, am thinking enoch slipped a gear while in california.  sophomoric humor? is not a criticism actually, but off-color is... uncharacteristic? perhaps enoch is one o' the few with a hacked boogie bass hanging on his home office wall?

If only!

I was just seizing on the (admittedly tenuous) opportunity to gripe about the unseemliness of the, erm, porcine bonuses in Pillars.  Sophomoric?  I guess, but it's for a good cause.  :shrugz:

In that vein, casually referencing an oddball article that appeared in the NYT 16 years ago is remarkably consistent with the persona you've been exhibiting around here and elsewhere for at least as long as I can recall.  Bravo!  (Actually not joking here.)

And, just to bring this within the stated topic, here's a recent tweet.

Edited by Enoch

yeah, am s'posing there is something a bit peculiar 'bout our tendency to go remote and obscure. one such incident could be aberrational, but consistency makes it... pathological?

as to recent josh tweets, which we typical do not follow 'les they is linked in this thread, it would appear he is current enjoying japanese cinema.  is nice to see he is stretching a bit beyond his staples o' medieval european history/art, bicycles, and cats.  am also recollecting he takes cheese more serious than any non french person has a right to.  

to stay kinda on-topic, we will note our anticipation regarding josh tweets, and deadfire info in general, will great increase once the beta starts... which am suspecting will be december/january. hopeful we get more developer interaction post beta start, 'cause waiting for tweets or something awful posts would be less than optimal from our pov.

HA! Good Fun!