I thought Pillars 1 was transparent, just not with the underlying mathematics.

Which imo a game doesn't need to be. It just needs to be consistent. Those that want to do the math should be able to reverse engineer the formula with a little trial and error.
I disagree. It shouldn't take a degree in engineering to calculate my DPS, which it does in PoE (see MaxQuest's thread.)

That said, Josh did say Deadfire would be more transparent with how these things work, and DPS should be easier to calculate.

In a general sense I would think that those who actually care about the math behind the scenes can actually do the math. I realize there are some who want to know but struggle with determining the math on their own. But I think they would be a small minority.

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Calculating DPS isn't a fun activity and I'm sure most people who care still don't enjoy doing it. Besides, MaxQuest looked at the actual code to uncover the math for PoE; I, for instance, wouldn't know how to even have the code display on my screen, let alone how to read it. The only way for me to calc my DPS was FRAPSing and counting, which is terribly tedious.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

It's impossible to understand the mechanics completely if you can't look into PoE's source code.

They are just too complex and there are many inconsistencies and also bugs.

MaxQuest did a truly great job looking into the code every time somebody asks questions. Also check out his Attack Speed Calculator (link in his signature). It's superawesome. Honestly OBS should hire him as a consultant for their mechanics - and also as bug crusher. :)

• Like 6

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

First look (for us) at Tekehu's 'paper doll', also we can now zoom in on the model in that screen: https://www.instagram.com/p/BXWLUhiFjAR/?hl=en&taken-by=jesawyer1975

Additionally, Tekehu CAN wear gauntlets/gloves despite the fins on his arms. Also, doesn't seem like his 'hair' would get in the way of wearing helmets, but the rules for godlikes says that they can't wear helmets regardless.

EXTREME closeup of Eder: https://www.instagram.com/p/BXWMDL4lwwv/?hl=en&taken-by=jesawyer1975 I initially thought it was some strange bug, but context is the previous instagram. Also gives an appreciation for how deeply detailed they made the models. Right down to the eyelashes, seriously.

They could always use the necklace slot for custom fit god-like head gear. Although that would be going against the developer's preference for non-racial specific gear. Maybe just assume that head coverings would interfere with their god-like special abilities?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

EXTREME closeup of Eder: https://www.instagram.com/p/BXWMDL4lwwv/?hl=en&taken-by=jesawyer1975 I initially thought it was some strange bug, but context is the previous instagram. Also gives an appreciation for how deeply detailed they made the models. Right down to the eyelashes, seriously.

Spoiler: For the final battle Zahua comes flying in with a special mushroom concoction that makes Edér grow to Eothas-size, and what proceeds to happen is a full-on Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots punch-out between him and Eothas. His everyman charm multiplies along with his size.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 5

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I'm all for as many animations improvements as they can irk out. Especially for the main cast. But some details won't really be all that noticeable in the end.

Agreed. If Obsidian have the time then they should go for it, but outside of the character screen the staticity (is that a word?) of his hair will be almost imperceptible so it won't be a great loss if they don't.

Actually this was revealed quite soon after the fig campaign started. Together with dual wielding pistols. The first artwork of the party on a ship made a lot of people ask about that blueish orlan with two pistols.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Super cool animation, I just think that he looks very stiff. Maybe they could loosen him up (especially around the neck area).

For my part I just interpreted that as being part of his persona: a haughty, stiff-arsed EIven Wizard.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

• Like 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• Like 1