How old is Eder meant to be?  He looks alot older than he did in PoE where he looked to be late twenties, but then I always did question his age as he fought in the Saint's War which was supposed to have happened about 20 years previously.  Assuming he was 18 during the war, I guess he was supposed to be about 38 in the first game, 43 in Deadfire, which makes him quite old for a bachelor type.

He was 32 during first game according to Strategy Guide. So he is 38 years old in Deadfire.

• Like 2

How old is Eder meant to be?  He looks alot older than he did in PoE where he looked to be late twenties, but then I always did question his age as he fought in the Saint's War which was supposed to have happened about 20 years previously.  Assuming he was 18 during the war, I guess he was supposed to be about 38 in the first game, 43 in Deadfire, which makes him quite old for a bachelor type.

He was 32 during first game according to Strategy Guide. So he is 38 years old in Deadfire.

Hmm interesting.  Just checked the wiki, according to that the current date of the game was 2823 while the Saint's War ended in 2808, which would have made Eder 17 then (not inconceivable since you can enlist in the military in modern countries at 16, which would have given him a year's worth of fighting and a reason why he didn't enlist at the same time as his brother).  So that all makes sense now, thought it might have been a case of Eder's age not matching up with the timeline, but the Saint's War occured more recently than I thought.

However, now I find other things not quite matching up now.  The first Hollowborn was recorded in 2809 yet the first wicht is reported at 2814 with the first child entering puberty.  That's 5 years between Hollowborn being born and hitting puberty, even if we assume they just didn't realise they were Hollowborn until later you'd expect no later than 3 or 4, and it was assumed to have started after Eothas was blown up to cause the link between the two events.  But this is going off on a tangent that might be better discussed elsewhere.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

The first Hollowborn was recorded in 2809 yet the first wicht is reported at 2814 with the first child entering puberty.  That's 5 years between Hollowborn being born and hitting puberty, even if we assume they just didn't realise they were Hollowborn until later you'd expect no later than 3 or 4, and it was assumed to have started after Eothas was blown up to cause the link between the two events.

Keep in mind that it's not like they had already devised the technique of transplanting animal souls into the bodies of children/babies; this was something they came up with based on the need created by Waidwen's legacy. Before they could actually put it into practice, they had to first determine if it was possible and then develop a way to effect the transfer without immediately crippling/killing the host or something. The fact that the process itself was completed as hastily as it was most likely speaks toward the animancers' desperation to solve the problem, which may also account for their failure to predict the problems their "solution" would cause down the line.

The first Hollowborn was recorded in 2809 yet the first wicht is reported at 2814 with the first child entering puberty.  That's 5 years between Hollowborn being born and hitting puberty, even if we assume they just didn't realise they were Hollowborn until later you'd expect no later than 3 or 4, and it was assumed to have started after Eothas was blown up to cause the link between the two events.

Keep in mind that it's not like they had already devised the technique of transplanting animal souls into the bodies of children/babies; this was something they came up with based on the need created by Waidwen's legacy. Before they could actually put it into practice, they had to first determine if it was possible and then develop a way to effect the transfer without immediately crippling/killing the host or something. The fact that the process itself was completed as hastily as it was most likely speaks toward the animancers' desperation to solve the problem, which may also account for their failure to predict the problems their "solution" would cause down the line.

Sorry, I don't think I explained myself well.  What I mean is that there doesn't seem enough time from when Hollowborn show up to when the first wicht appears for them to actually hit puberty.  Eldest would be at most 8 years old assuming they were actually 3 when first discovered and that would put them being born before the Saint's War and therefore proof that it wasn't Eothas' death that caused it.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Ah, my mistake. That does throw a bit of wrench into things, but it also depends on who the first test subjects were. For example, some orlans have natural lifespans as short as 50 years; between that and other physiological differences, they might hit puberty significantly earlier than humans. It also makes sense that the orlan babies might have been used as the first test subjects for the process given their frequent status as second-class citizens at best throughout much of the Dyrwood. If memory serves, Durance actually does talk about how the initial crop of wichts might have been written off as manifestations of "female weakness" and orlan inferiority if it hadn't been later confirmed that others transformed into wichts as well.

Edit: It is worth noting that Orlan lifespans can range between 50 and 80 years according to the guidebook, so what I mentioned earlier would be at the lowest end of the continuum. By contrast, humans in Eora tend to have lifespans ranging from 60 to 100 years.

Edited by blotter
  • Like 1

Yeah, Orlans hitting puberty earlier could be it, especially since I do recall Durance refering to the first one as an Orlan girl too, it just seems rather short even for an Orlan (heh, short...).  There isn't anything I have read that has given the coming of age of each race, but since I can't see any reason on the timeline why they couldn't just put the first wicht at a later date then I guess they decided that must be the age of puberty for Orlans.  What, that means Orlan Baby can be hitting puberty at the start of Deadfire!

• Like 2

Yeah, I never understood people saying Eder looked in his 20's in the first game.  The portrait is of a guy in his early to min 30's and his new one is a guy probably in his later 30's.  He never looked, or acted, like someone in their 20's.

Meanwhile it would be hilarious if the Orlan Baby because a sidekick or something.

• Like 1

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/894990352347578368

• 43% recovery on a scale armor? :o
  • Infinite "anvil" points?

EDIT: re Pallegina's inability to wear the armor.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/894993929094836224

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/894990352347578368

• 43% recovery on a scale armor? :o
  • Infinite "anvil" points?

EDIT: re Pallegina's inability to wear the armor.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/894993929094836224

I wonder if we'll have faction restricted stuff? Or maybe that's just a Pallegina thing.

+43% recovery seems high, then again, they're doing something different with recovery I believe, and this is rebalancing/

Infinite anvil points, I guess until they find a good balance point?

I checked the PoE armor page but couldn't figure it out. What's "recovery time" mean?

Can't tell if you're being serious with the question or not. If it's a critique of the wiki, then yeah, the wiki should have it. 'recovery time' seems pretty self explainatory I guess, -##% means your recovery time after an action is slowed down by that much.

I know they're doing the math in PoE2 differently, forget the specifics though.

Can't tell if you're being serious with the question or not. If it's a critique of the wiki, then yeah, the wiki should have it. 'recovery time' seems pretty self explainatory I guess, -##% means your recovery time after an action is slowed down by that much.

I know they're doing the math in PoE2 differently, forget the specifics though.

I am being serious, and don't call me Shirley. :p Don't let the PoE icon under my name fool you, I never played the game.

I figured it was some kind of time delay, but off what baseline time?

It's the amount of "dead time" between a character's actions.

Based on.....? Class? Race? Everyone moved and acts at the same starting speed maybe? I honestly don't know.

It's based on the weapon. MaxQuest has an excellent thread with all the math in the PoE forums.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 2

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Wow, MaxQuest is good!

So if we take the worst possible Recovery Time (2.5s) and put that character in Scale armor (43% penalty) does that now come to 3.925s Recovery? (I cant math so good)

That'd be more like 99% penalty, 43% penalty would be 3.575 seconds. Did quick math on calculator.

Edited by smjjames
  • Like 1

I thought Pillars 1 was transparent, just not with the underlying mathematics.

Which imo a game doesn't need to be. It just needs to be consistent. Those that want to do the math should be able to reverse engineer the formula with a little trial and error.

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Man that MM looks sweet! But I still can't get the VFX ~dream~ out of my head.

Wizard holding hand out, palm open, and missiles fire rapidly in succession (in various arcs, from palm to target), not in unison.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jesawyer/status/895101827212955648/video/1

Edit: Could be a way to balance empowered MMs too ;) reactive countering~ stun/prone/sleep etc. etc. mid-casting.

Could also fit with ~longer casting times~, except more of a ~Channeling Spell~.

Edited by Osvir

Man that MM looks sweet! But I still can't get the VFX ~dream~ out of my head.

Wizard holding hand out, palm open, and missiles fire rapidly in succession (in various arcs, from palm to target), not in unison.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jesawyer/status/895101827212955648/video/1

Edit: Could be a way to balance empowered MMs too ;) reactive countering~ stun/prone/sleep etc. etc. mid-casting.

Could also fit with ~longer casting times~, except more of a ~Channeling Spell~.

Don't know if you can see the tweet text, but he says "tfw empower is bugged #deadfire" Looks awesome, but not supposed to be THAT many missiles I guess.

Also, he's certainly working late, or perhaps just enjoying himself. What is he saying in the video clip though? Can't make it out.

Edited by smjjames

I thought Pillars 1 was transparent, just not with the underlying mathematics.

Which imo a game doesn't need to be. It just needs to be consistent. Those that want to do the math should be able to reverse engineer the formula with a little trial and error.

I disagree. It shouldn't take a degree in engineering to calculate my DPS, which it does in PoE (see MaxQuest's thread.)

That said, Josh did say Deadfire would be more transparent with how these things work, and DPS should be easier to calculate.