Not to mention that we don't know if it's wise to fight the god of rebirth in the first place.

Also there was an answer related to weapon proficiencies: link.

It made me think that the optimal_weapon <-> class_build relation gonna change quite a bit.

In PoE1 for instance, we would likely take a slower and 'heavier' implement (like Rod) for Dangerous Implement to minimize the health loss. While Blast is better with faster implements (like Wand or Sceptre, with a single exception of Golden Gaze Rod which fired 2 projectiles) because Blast damage was not dependent from the weapon used and you simply wanted to fire faster.

Also it looks like we'll get two new modals: Power Shot and Rapid Shot; unless these are just renamed Penetrating Shot and Swift Aim (which becomes accessible to anyone).

Edited by MaxQuest

God of Rebirth?  Oh god I just had a horrific image enter my head: the party facing off against the statue, except that its lying on its back, its legs spread apart as it has a giant Eothas-baby sticking half out of its vag that is fighting the party. 

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

God of Rebirth?  Oh god I just had a horrific image enter my head: the party facing off against the statue, except that its lying on its back, its legs spread apart as it has a giant Eothas-baby sticking half out of its vag that is fighting the party.

I would buy that for a dollar!

Except it's God of Rebirth, not Birth. So you'd have to be inside Eothas, fighting a baby re-entering.

Though, would be pretty cool to face/fight the titan about mid-point of the game and defeat/destroy it, but the game goes on. Sort of a tricky Epilogue plays, except it is not. Then you get to control your party again, and Eothas has reborn as something more human/kith sized.

One of my absolute favorite moments of Tales of Destiny. You feel somewhat like you've finished it at about two thirds into the game, everybody goes their separate ways, and then, "There's more!? There's... way more!?!?".

Could fit really well with a God of Rebirth to be this really annoying boss you fight several times throughout the game who just keeps on coming back.

I'm guessing the titan "battle" will be a set of scripted interactions + maybe some combat interactions (maybe some running away on land?). The real battle will probably be a smaller variant.

Or? Maybe there's an Engwithan Titan in Deadfire too? And we get some Titan on Titan action?

Edited by Osvir

rofl you guys on the mental imagery! XD

Or? Maybe there's an Engwithan Titan in Deadfire too? And we get some Titan on Titan action?

Going to have to call it something else besides an Engwithan Titan because there's already one ingame, namely the one we saw in the E3 vid (though that was a WIP at the time) and mentioned in a fig update.

If I were to make a guess it would be that you will be facing Godly enemies in Beyond. Whatever Eothas' deal is he can clearly reincarnate. Possibly one of the new Watcher skill will be entering Beyond. If there will be a confrontation with Statue I would expect it to be either a scripted interaction or a big setpiece battle on Eothas, or with him in the background, which aim will be to get into Beyond through adra statue (as we saw in the demo).

I don't know about entering the Beyond via the statue. Obviously the statue itself will have a very major role to play, we just don't know what.

Although, entering the Beyond via the statue would be interesting given the story behind Caed Nua himself and the statue he made. Like it was an attempt to enter the Beyond, but he got interrupted by a revolt before he was able to actually do it.

rofl you guys on the mental imagery! XD

Going to have to call it something else besides an Engwithan Titan because there's already one ingame, namely the one we saw in the E3 vid (though that was a WIP at the time) and mentioned in a fig update.

Engwithan Colossus?

I wonder if there will be any combat in the Beyond as you're not physically there, I can see 'dying' in the Beyond being justified but should combat physics even work the same way?

It's not like they're having a vision like in the constellation chamber at Twin Elms, they went through a dimensional portal.

It would probably be too expensive to change up all the game mechanics to suit the Beyond. Perhaps simulated combat will just be a mental manifestation, so it looks the same but without inflicting the same physical wounds. Instead you'll suffer from a "confused mind" or "overpowering emotions", which can be just as crippling. Instead of dying, you go catatonic.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I wonder if there will be any combat in the Beyond as you're not physically there, I can see 'dying' in the Beyond being justified but should combat physics even work the same way?

You are physically there it seems, and a fight almost broke out it seems. Being physically there and fighting are the two biggest things we know of it so far.

You are physically there it seems, and a fight almost broke out it seems. Being physically there and fighting are the two biggest things we know of it so far.

Actually, no, look at the vid at 9:44 and 9:45 (you have to unpause and pause quickly), your physical, material, body is still in the dungeon (still standing seemingly?). In a sense, it's as physical as being in a VR suite while wearing a kinetotactile suit, your awareness is there, but you are as physically there as an avatar in a video game (such meta, wow). Your soul, or perhaps the projection of it, is there, but your physical body is not.

Though what isn't clear is whether it's more of a projection (the VR suite analogy) or whether your soul is actually present there.

As for the fighting, yeah, there's a bunch of guys crawling out of portals who don't look too friendly, but we don't know if a fight actually IS about to start, and Obsidian being Obsidian, depending on stats and whatever, we might not have to fight those.

Lore aside, the game is certainly going to treat you as being physically there. How death and injuries are treated might be the same, but we'll see eventually.

Edited by smjjames

I wonder if we'll enter the Beyond at some point, from some point, then when we return to the body, we'll appear elsewhere, kidnapped, boiling in a cooking pot (what with Deadfire setting, bound to be a cannibal island somewhere).

Actually, no, look at the vid at 9:44 and 9:45 (you have to unpause and pause quickly), your physical, material, body is still in the dungeon (still standing seemingly?).

The IGN E3 Walkthrough? I keep stepping through that scene and I don't see any evidence of this.

Even if you are ethereal in the beyond, I can't imagine them not having combat. They'll just play the whole, if your soul dies, then your body is a soulless husk and you lose the game route.

edit: Oh, it's the text box. I thought you meant you could see yourself back through the portal.

Edited by injurai

Here's a screenshot of multiclass title drafts from Sawyer's tumbler: https://www.instagram.com/p/BWyXIbQFAXU/?taken-by=jesawyer1975

As someone who is thinking of adding Ranger to his Cipher when he plays Deadfire, I would like to approve of this.

EDIT: But I do not approve of being typecast as a bowman!  Clearly my Cipher should called swordbrainer instead!

Edited by FlintlockJazz

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Here's a screenshot of multiclass title drafts from Sawyer's tumbler: https://www.instagram.com/p/BWyXIbQFAXU/?taken-by=jesawyer1975

Chuckled at Holy and Holier Befuddlers.

On a serious note: Transcendent seems ok, but for other options... I would take community' multiclass titles any day.

• Like 1

I can't tell if this is serious or not, but I approve irrespectively.

Far more clever than I could have hoped for.

I don't think it's entirely serious, but it's still funny.

As Max said, the devs can always use that community multiclass names thread for ideas, I'm sure the other communities have their own ideas as well, plenty to go around.

I can't tell if this is serious or not, but I approve irrespectively.

Far more clever than I could have hoped for.

I don't think it's entirely serious, but it's still funny.

As Max said, the devs can always use that community multiclass names thread for ideas, I'm sure the other communities have their own ideas as well, plenty to go around.

The titles are clearly attributed in the accompanying tweet to team artist Mitch Loidolt.  Presumably, they're placeholder titles in his UI work, most likely chosen for entertainment value. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1