Personally, I really liked the Health mechanic. 

Ye josh could have just stopped there. Making up solutions to problems that were never there. Oh well we will see.

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

Also, I'd say Obsidian is moving more towards "Unlimited Resting", seeing as you can Rest an infinite amount of times now even if you get penalized for doing so.

How so? Is it like you only get benefits if you have camp supplies, otherwise you incur a penalty or something?

As far as I understand understood it, yes (EDIT: I was wrong). I think Camping Supplies are gone, and replaced by Food Supplies instead.

This one (Tumblr).

And translation at the bottom here (RPGCodex).

I stand corrected. It is appareantly unsure if you can Rest an infinite amount of time ("Often" is not "Infinite" after all), and it is also not Penalties, but rather just "Lower bonuses". Still bonuses but lowered ones.

Edit: I suppose I read into it as if it was implying "infinite" and "penalty".

Edited by Osvir

Welp, I faintly hoped they'd dump traps in the garbage, where they belong. Having them inflict injuries actually makes them worse, since you can't just face-tank the damage if you don't have as high a Mechanics score as the game expects you to have.

I imagine that there would still be a check/roll against defenses in there somewhere.  A high-deflection character should have a decent chance of walking through a basic dart trap unscathed. 

I don't find Traps to be a particularly fun mechanic to deal with (I hated Durlag's Tower), but they're probably too tied to the audience's expectations for the genre to toss now. I'll be happy if Deadfire makes incremental progress by removing the XP for disarming them. 

I vaguely remember Josh talking about that food mechanic earlier, so hopefully we aren't having him repeat himself. I think I'm warming to this new rest/injury mechanic. There is a soft limit on resting now. Instead of camp supplies it seems food based.

Was it mentioned how many injuries can be sustained until death? Last I heard it was just 2. Which seems a bit low. I'd like a little more granularity.

Sparks the question:

Are traps handled differently in Deadfire? Either by a different skill, or...?

Then again, I absolutely loved scouting ahead in Icewind Dale, looking specifically for traps (and enemies) with my dedicated trap finder (Thief).

Dunno, but in Pillars 1 I never felt the need for it. Perhaps it's age and experience of these types of games *shrug*

@Injurai: I think it's 4 (25% Endurance/Stamina penalty per Injury). Well, practically 3, because the 4th one kills you.

Edited by Osvir

@Injurai: I think it's 4 (25% Endurance/Stamina penalty per Injury). Well, practically 3, because the 4th one kills you.

Seems doable. I guess you really shouldn't be letting yourself rack up injuries in the first place.

Welp, I faintly hoped they'd dump traps in the garbage, where they belong. Having them inflict injuries actually makes them worse, since you can't just face-tank the damage if you don't have as high a Mechanics score as the game expects you to have.

I imagine that there would still be a check/roll against defenses in there somewhere.  A high-deflection character should have a decent chance of walking through a basic dart trap unscathed. 

I don't find Traps to be a particularly fun mechanic to deal with (I hated Durlag's Tower), but they're probably too tied to the audience's expectations for the genre to toss now. I'll be happy if Deadfire makes incremental progress by removing the XP for disarming them. 

Traps are definitely something that has to be there because it always has. Unfortunate, really. They're nothing but a skill tax.

Traps are definitely something that has to be there because it always has. Unfortunate, really. They're nothing but a skill tax.

Traps have to be there, because they are cool.

In what possible way are they cool? There are only two outcomes a trap can have. Either you have a high enough skill to disarm them, or one of your characters takes an injury. Or you very carefully edge your way around it, which does absolutely nothing except slow down the game.

Traps have to be there, because they are cool.

In what possible way are they cool? There are only two outcomes a trap can have. Either you have a high enough skill to disarm them, or one of your characters takes an injury. Or you very carefully edge your way around it, which does absolutely nothing except slow down the game.

Why are they so terrible?  Is it a bad thing that it slows the game down?  I mean we shouldn't be able to sprint through dungeons without a care.  If anything I would go the opposite way with them making them have a bigger role maybe even a subclass that can get trap bonuses and unique talents that boost their capabilities or augment them. 

Why are they so terrible?  Is it a bad thing that it slows the game down?  I mean we shouldn't be able to sprint through dungeons without a care.  If anything I would go the opposite way with them making them have a bigger role maybe even a subclass that can get trap bonuses and unique talents that boost their capabilities or augment them.

I don't think he has a problem with traps.  I think he has a problem with the fact that they are only included because people expect them to be there.  Also the fact that their implementation is crap, it always has been in these games.

Traps should not be like this

Step 1: Sneak around until I find trap

Step 2: Try to disarm trap

Step 3: Was trap disarmed?

If so, continue on, process complete

If not, send tank to trigger trap, go to next step

Step 4: Rest or use healing items/spells to recover from trap

Process Complete

If you are going to use traps it needs to be better than that ^^^^^.  Make the traps be like from that first area in Eternity, the cave/ruins of Cilant Lis.  That was how you should do a trap.  If you can't do it that way every time, just don't bother including them as they aren't fun or interesting for the player.  Maybe you can have the generic boring ones, but if you do, keep them only to limited moments when it makes absolute sense for their to be a trap.  Not just this is a dungeon so it needs some random ass traps.

Seriously, who would trap up a hallway that leads to say the only way to go upstairs?  Or trap up every path leading to a room they are living in?  No one in the real world, crap tons of people in Baldur's Gate like RPG land.

• Like 2