https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/162044770781/das-derzeit-schwarmfinanzierte-pathfinder

The question is basically if deadfire will use random ambushes as a rest mechanic like in baldurs gate. Josh answered that he doesn't like random mechanics like these where you can easily reload if you don't like the outcome (Except of course in Trial of Iron). Now the last paragraph is really interesting and I try to translate it as accurate as possible:

"Our rest-mechanic uses food to cure injuries and to give bonuses (he is unsure if it is the right word for gaming). You can often rest, but the best food is expansive or rare. If you rest too often, sooner or later you will fight with bad bonuses."

The word "Essen" might be a rough translation for supplies instead of food, but they are clearly changing something.

• Like 3

You mean like "I'll hold them off, RUN!"? Has pretty much zero chance of living, but buys time. Or maybe the Ionni moon (I actually tried to use it to kill Devil of Caroc). About the only places that I'd see it happening are scripted circumstances.

But your tank won't say "I'll hold them off, RUN!", in a hodor mechanic your tank only says "hodor", repeatedly. Hodor.

• Like 1

You mean like "I'll hold them off, RUN!"? Has pretty much zero chance of living, but buys time. Or maybe the Ionni moon (I actually tried to use it to kill Devil of Caroc). About the only places that I'd see it happening are scripted circumstances.

But your tank won't say "I'll hold them off, RUN!", in a hodor mechanic your tank only says "hodor", repeatedly. Hodor.

Oh, I completely didn't get it.

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/162044770781/das-derzeit-schwarmfinanzierte-pathfinder

The question is basically if deadfire will use random ambushes as a rest mechanic like in baldurs gate. Josh answered that he doesn't like random mechanics like these where you can easily reload if you don't like the outcome (Except of course in Trial of Iron). Now the last paragraph is really interesting and I try to translate it as accurate as possible:

"Our rest-mechanic uses food to cure injuries and to give bonuses (he is unsure if it is the right word for gaming). You can often rest, but the best food is expansive or rare. If you rest too often, sooner or later you will fight with bad bonuses."

The word "Essen" might be a rough translation for supplies instead of food, but they are clearly changing something.

We did see in the E3 vid that at least one type of enemy definetly will ambush you. Sandworms in that case, I forget the actual ingame name that they're given though.

Edited by smjjames

Hmn. Does this mean food replaces camping supplies and he's worried people will rest-spam?

Well, they'd start with "HOLD THE DOOR!", of course. "HODOR!" comes later.

Hmn. Does this mean food replaces camping supplies and he's worried people will rest-spam?

Rest spam is more of a problem when you're low level and don't have that many spells or spell uses, so, you have to reset them a lot.

I don't understand what you mean by random ambushes as a rest mechanic, you mean x chance of getting ambushed when someones listen/observe/whatever check fails? I'd find that rather annoying IMO.

Rest spam is more of a problem when you're low level and don't have that many spells or spell uses, so, you have to reset them a lot.

I don't understand what you mean by random ambushes as a rest mechanic, you mean x chance of getting ambushed when someones listen/observe/whatever check fails? I'd find that rather annoying IMO.

It means "x chance of random encounter when resting in a wilderness area", I think. Like BG and BG2 had.

"HODOR!" comes later.

Ooor earlier!?

Well, they'd start with "HOLD THE DOOR!", of course. "HODOR!" comes later.

Depends on your party, if they are eager to sacrifice their tank to save their skin, they'd say that. But the tank is already valiant, only says and does hodor.

ed: changing its name from hodor mechanic to hodor protocol.

ACTIVATE HODOR PROTOCOL! rip eder.

Edited by Quillon

Did not answer the question, though. Very non-answer. I *REALLY* hated Seige of Craigholdt directly because engagement was entirely unreliable and the combat throughout the entire thing was ****ed--the whole map there was literally no such thing as "engagement", there was "hope like hell I killed them before the magic point where the ****ers ignored everything and went straight for my casters". It was crazy messy and *not* fun. I hope that engagement is more functional and tanking actually *tanks*.

That was a really jarring segment of the game. Maybe the most jarring. It opens up to you way too early as well. I think TWM1 did it's siege much better.

I don't know... Ed Nua level 9 I was resting every other encounter because of those damn Fampyr. I think I even started resting on level 8 because I found I wasn't built for certain types of elementals with all those blights. I thought I was pretty over leveled for Od Nua while doing it's content until I got to those floors. The need for "rest spamming" seems to come in bursts when certain conditions are met. It gets annoying when your only option becomes "back track through dozens of load screens because you can't make it to the Caed Nua short cut 2 rooms away."

Food resource to prevent rest spam is a great solution imo, well, it works extremely well in Battle Brothers (and hey, even in NEO Scavenger too). Of course, those games have other "threats" and resources to consider. In NEO Scavenger, you might freeze to death if all you do is rest, or maybe a bandit or some scavenger comes and disturbs you. In Battle Brothers you might lose all your money by resting, or your food gets spoiled, or an Orc patrol finds you etc. etc.

It'll be interesting to see how it'll work in Deadfire.

• Like 1

Maybe, I should just be eating more food going into battles. But the way I play is more to recover after battles then over preparing when going in. I like just scrapping by and over-preparing can either waste resources or makes encounters too trivial. So I would be welcome to a change to food's role in Deadfire.

Resting too frequently should lead to random back-tracking encounters and improved enemy preparation. There should be a trade-off.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Wasnt the trade off the "camping supply" mechanic? That wasnt punisihing enough so time to roll out "you will fight with bad bonuses"? Wowee wowow. Hopefully they tie that to the higher difficulty tiers.

It is nothing new, though. It is just like having to rest again after spending the previous night at the best inn. It is a pretty light trade off for being able to rest and magically heal all your injuries as often as you like.

It is nothing new, though. It is just like having to rest again after spending the previous night at the best inn. It is a pretty light trade off for being able to rest and magically heal all your injuries as often as you like.

Maybe this is a difference perspectives. I read that dev statement as "resting to much will give characters maluses". That's a completely different animal from simply not receiving some resting buff. Have I misread the dev statement?

Maybe this is a difference perspectives. I read that dev statement as "resting to much will give characters maluses". That's a completely different animal from simply not receiving some resting buff. Have I misread the dev statement?

IIRC wasn't it about "Food" and that "Food" is used as a resource during "Resting", meaning, if you Rest too much you'll use up all your Food, and having no Food would give Penalties when Resting (and can even result in cannibalism among your crew).

Basically, "Camping Supplies" has been replaced with "Food Supplies". At least, that's how I understood/understand it.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 2

I just wish to say that I like it. It's "Camping Supplies" with added effects. Imagine if you could continue to Rest in Pillars 1 even if your Camping Supplies were gone, but you'd get penalties for doing so.

Purely speculative follows now...

I imagine that the Ship Management will have a Food Resource Pool, and Crew will deplete it over time, but also (Like Adventures and Grand Adventures "Send Crews to do this and that") be able to go out and fetch new Food whilst you are out exploring (Which will take X amount of time). I also imagine that you'll pull X/X (capped, like Camping Supplies) amount of Food supplies from the total supply when you go about your own adventuring to utilize the usual Resting mechanic.

We know you'll be able to buy food, and some food that gives the best resting bonuses will be most expensive.

I'm most curious if:
A) Ship Crew also gains benefits (Bonus), during Naval Events and such~ Morale.
B) If Food is only a Resting Mechanic now, a general Resource and no inventory management (Like Battle Brothers)
C) If Food can spoil over time.

EDIT: Looking at the UI:

No "Cap" on the Resting button. Might be tied to difficulty on that E3 playthrough though. Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

What's the point of limiting rest when everything is moving to a per encounter.  I just hope they'll do a separate gameplay mode that leaves some of the supplies in.  They added one in Fallout: New Vegas.

Maybe you can get injured during combat and not only when you get KO'd? (Analyze/Speculation: Josh does think Battle Brothers is one of the best game this year, and in BB you can get injured by an unlucky critical strike). I also recall Josh saying something along the lines of "After X amount of injuries a character dies".

From a Q&A with Josh (It's 4 months old so maybe it's not an experiment anymore, or they've found another solution):

Is a characters vitality still split into Health and Stamina, are multiple stages fatigue, injuries, afflictions and different "death" states still a thing in Pillars of Eternity 2, and are those negative statuses still only removable/curable by resting?

JS: Right now, what we are experimenting with is a system that uses injuries as the main way of gating players needing to rest. At least in terms of damage taken. We're not using the Health system, we're using just the—well, we now have, whether you want to call it hit points or health, we have essentially what was Stamina in the first game. If you get knocked out you'll get injuries, and injuries are a thing you want to rest to get rid of. We're keeping all the injuries. Fatigue can be one of those injuries, we abandoned the sort of time-based fatigue a long time ago. The idea is that when you rest that's how you get rid of those things. You can also get injuries from things like scripted interactions, if you miss a check when you do a jump or something like that; you can hurt your knee or your elbow or your shoulder. Things like that. All that stuff is still in place. We're experimenting with a healthless system using injuries primarily as the gating mechanism for it.

Personally, I really liked the Health mechanic. A lot of people found it confusing. We tried various ways of communicating it...I think that injuries do a pretty good job, and so I'd like to experiment at least with using injuries as the primary means for driving resting.

We'll see. Like I said, I was the person who proposed and pushed for that mechanic, but I also don't want a bunch of people to not really understand what the hell is going on.

Also, I'd say Obsidian is moving more towards "Unlimited Resting", seeing as you can Rest an infinite amount of times now even if you get penalized for doing so.

Edited by Osvir

Also, I'd say Obsidian is moving more towards "Unlimited Resting", seeing as you can Rest an infinite amount of times now even if you get penalized for doing so.

How so? Is it like you only get benefits if you have camp supplies, otherwise you incur a penalty or something?