Didn't they have to write custom custom cloth simulation for reasons? I'm forgetting those reasons. But it was a work around that Adam was proud of.

Something about how the graphics engine they used doesn't display textures in the inventory screen right or something.

YES! I've been wanting this feature. I rarely used item switching for anything other than melee vs range because this wasn't available.

Agreed. But because I too use my weapon set slots for switching between ranged and melee, this would be useful only if we got three slots standard for all characters.

YES! I've been wanting this feature. I rarely used item switching for anything other than melee vs range because this wasn't available.

Agreed. But because I too use my weapon set slots for switching between ranged and melee, this would be useful only if we got three slots standard for all characters.

Well, not everybody is going to have their character switch between ranged and melee and not all characters are going to be built that way.

There is an utility talent which adds another slot, or you could play island aumaua. No idea if they'll try to balance things to take that into account. Although, we have extra trinket slots don't we? I could see a bandolier item or something that allows an extra weapon set slot.

Point is that everybody plays their characters in different ways. Also, I hope that new function would also apply to weapons, that way you could keep one weapon in one hand for both sets and change the weapon for the other hand.

It's a bit of a niche thing, that's for sure, but can't argue against quality of life improvements, right?

• Like 1

I was disappointed that this didn't work in PoE. I think this is must-have feature.

Not that I use it with every character or whatever, but it's just weird that you can't just switch one weapon but have to switch your whole set.

Like when I weild Bittercut + Resolution and meet an enemy who is immune to slash damage. I would have liked to switch Resolution for a stiletto or a club and keep Bittercut in my hand, but instead I had to switch both.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 5

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I am also curious that since they are redoing the health/endurance system will healing become more important than POE1. So this may be a situation where the priest role has diminished when it comes to counters but increased when it comes to healing. I know there are other healing classes so maybe it balances out.

His take on the importance/need for Priests in PoE1 is interesting. I'm not in a great position to agree/disagree with him. But I found I almost solely used Priests for healing.

Maybe I'm just stuck to the old ways. But I tend to ignore most Priests spells for general encounters. I just try to be as aggressive as possible on raw damage and aoes as possible. Only very occasionally will I pull out all the stops with a Priest. But I still used Durance for pretty much the whole game because I found I just needed that safety net if I was going all glass cannon.

Maybe I just need to play a harder difficulty...

• Like 1

Definitely.

I almost never use my priests for healing. Sometimes Consecrated Ground is handy, but I don't use it too often.

Their buffs and prayers however make the game so much easier that even PotD gets easy (if you know what you're doing).

If you have a priest you don't have to bother with defensive talents or abilites. Why putting points into Aegis of Loyality, Bull's Will or Body Control or whatever if the whole party can be immune with the casting of a prayer?

What makes priests so strong in PoE (besides their really powerful damaging spells in higher levels) is buffs and prayers, not healing. In fact, I consider the druid or a Kind Wayfarer to be the better party healer (Moonwell and Garden of Life are really strong) and the paladin to be the better healer for individuals (Lay on Hands). Besides that, there's Ancient Memory + Ancient Spirits, Constant or Veteran's Recovery, which is really good - especially if you combine those with the relatively new healing bonuses you can get from survival (+20% for 2 points and then +20% every 6 points) and items (St. Borragia's Tears: +15% healing done, Belt of Bountiful Healing, Fulvano's Amulet, Maneha's Armor: +25% healing received). This stacks pretty nicely with other self heals like Savage Defiance and also Second Wind so that I rarely need healing spells at all.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 5

I hope they will figure out how to make spells like mindcontrol or paralyzis interesting. In PoE they are either a complete killer or you cast immunity spell and they simply don't work. A very hard encounter becomes trivial. I would like to see some middle ground. I do like an idea of those powerful spells but they are either too powerful, or completely useless. 

• Like 1

Yes, it would be better if afflictions had different stages which relate to graze/hit/crit. That way a paralyzing atttack wouldn't be that devastating if you get grazed. A prayer could simply ensure a downgrade to a lower state.

But I guess they are doing something like this at the moment when I'm reading those things about Frenzy countering Weakened and so on.

Yes, it would be better if afflictions had different stages which relate to graze/hit/crit. That way a paralyzing atttack wouldn't be that devastating if you get grazed. A prayer could simply ensure a downgrade to a lower state.

But I guess they are doing something like this at the moment when I'm reading those things about Frenzy countering Weakened and so on.

i thought the way they were addressing this was to do away with grazes in most cases

Edited by draego

In PoE1 only the duration of an affliction is influenced by graze(-50%), hit (+/-0) and crit (+50% duration). The affliction itself is always the same. That means even grazes which paralyze you will completely disable you for some time. I would have prefered the same duration but a weaker affliction instead.

Without sneak attacks on aloth I have very little reason for his displaced image or Pallegina's reviving exhortation.

I need these challenges in battle, otherwise things get really dull. If you never make me think about weak holes in my party then I'll never develop good builds to handle those events in more involved encounters. So yeah, I agree with Josh here.

Someone asked a question about tanking and the taunt mechanic: https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/162046603176/im-curious-about-the-role-of-a-tank-in-the-party It's nowhere even close to revelatory or anything, but it is insight into how he feels about taunt mechanics.

I'd love it if an overwhelming force (say, 10 Xaurips) attacks you in a doorway, and you have a strong durable tank holding up in the bottleneck (such as Eder), that the force actually "pushes" the party backwards every so slightly. As it stands in Pillars of Eternity, you'd at most fight 1 Xaurip at a time, and the rest would wait for their turn for the slaughter (Xaurip is just an example, you can do this with all enemies in Pillars of Eternity, Ogres, Spiders, etc. just find a nice bottleneck or even a just a corner and duke it out, engaging 1-2 enemies at a time).

It'd be pretty cool with a different sort of mechanic where you believe yourself to have find a good bottleneck to tank everything, but suddenly find yourself overwhelmed. Perhaps even in such a manner that you'd have to counter it yourself by positioning your characters behind the tank (Eder) to create a counter-momentum (pushing back against the push).

Belongs in the "wishes you'd never get" but would probably require some new animation states and give some sort of pause to the regular gameplay of combat. An additional mechanic to consider. Or in some situations, perhaps even pushing groups of enemies over the edge (300 style).

Edited by Osvir

Too complicated.

I'd love it if an overwhelming force (say, 10 Xaurips) attacks you in a doorway, and you have a strong durable tank holding up in the bottleneck

Maybe a hodor mechanic? But your tanks dies permanently.

Did not answer the question, though. Very non-answer. I *REALLY* hated Seige of Craigholdt directly because engagement was entirely unreliable and the combat throughout the entire thing was ****ed--the whole map there was literally no such thing as "engagement", there was "hope like hell I killed them before the magic point where the ****ers ignored everything and went straight for my casters". It was crazy messy and *not* fun. I hope that engagement is more functional and tanking actually *tanks*.

• Like 1

Too complicated.

I'd love it if an overwhelming force (say, 10 Xaurips) attacks you in a doorway, and you have a strong durable tank holding up in the bottleneck

Maybe a hodor mechanic? But your tanks dies permanently.

You mean like "I'll hold them off, RUN!"? Has pretty much zero chance of living, but buys time. Or maybe the Ionni moon (I actually tried to use it to kill Devil of Caroc). About the only places that I'd see it happening are scripted circumstances.