Pretty sure those are just actual pixels.

You can make their borders visible or not visible. The point I was making is that it's not a 3D model as it might appear at a glance.

Not that it changes the speculation, merely an observation of it.

Edited by smjjames

Over-analyzing the video for extra information beyond what we already knew and/or Kat explicitly mentioned:

0:57

Reskinned UI (which imo looks better than the one in PoE, whilst being very similar)

Some of the elements are probably still WIP (e.g. the dialog button is squared and doesn't fit well in its new rectangular spot; same with the green selection square that can be seen at 1:10—fits the spell icon, but not the spell-level rectangular icon underneath.)

Exploration XP

Unfortunately still a thing.

Map name

The dock area is in Queen's Berth.

Portraits

A change of style compared to Pillars of Eternity. They look good. We get to see the new ones for Aloth and Pallegina (Edér shows up at 1:56)

It seems to me like the new portraits for recurring characters serve the in-story purpose of showing their development since the events of the first game. Aloth, for example, has either become the leader of the Leaden Key or their destructor, either with Iselmyr as an ally or having shown her her place. His new portrait shows his newly found self-confidence and conveys it in the same way his old portrait was a perfect fit for his poised, sheepish demeanor.

1:16

Map name

Sanza's Map Emporium and Sanza's Maps are two new areas; what we see in the video is Sanza's Maps.

Spells' noise level

Nice touch, since now characters also have a hearing range. It will be interesting to see what spells can be pulled off from stealth depending on their noise level.

Spells' level scaling

Interestingly, spells scale with the Wizard's power level but not all of them do in the same way. For example, Jolting Touch's armor penetration scales, but the Fireball's does not. The number of extra targets in Jolting Touch also scales. Looks like the inherent Accuracy bonus to spells was removed.

1:44

Maia's animal companion

Her temporary name is "Mrs. Feathers", which is amusing; she's immune to engagement.

1:48

Barbarian abilities

I've never played a Barbarian so I don't really recognize them except rage, the sprint icon, and the (now violet?) dragon leap. Are the other icons new or returning abilities?

1:56

Rotghast

The fat undead enemy model used in most of Josh's previews is called a Rotghast.

1:59

Pallegina's abilities

When Reaping Knives is cast, Pallegina's weapon slot is "greyed out" with what is obviously a temporary piece of ... uhm ... art.

Some of the ability icons seem to have been revamped. FoD has a tiny lightning bolt underneath, which may mean she has a talent that adds shock damage to it? Sworn Enemy has the extra fire projectiles on top, suggesting she's got Wrath of the Five Suns. LoH and Liberating Exhortation are the same.

2:08

Wet textures

Looks like the floating dude's texture reflect the fact that he's soaked in water. Nice touch that was missing from the first game.

• Like 12

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Portraits

A change of style compared to Pillars of Eternity. They look good. We get to see the new ones for Aloth and Pallegina (Edér shows up at 1:56)

It seems to me like the new portraits for recurring characters serve the in-story purpose of showing their development since the events of the first game. Aloth, for example, has either become the leader of the Leaden Key or their destructor, either with Iselmyr as an ally or having shown her her place. His new portrait shows his newly found self-confidence and conveys it in the same way his old portrait was a perfect fit for his poised, sheepish demeanor.

It's not surprising, but I am glad that they didn't pull a Baldur's Gate II and completely change the look for returning companions. It's almost certainly too much to hope for, but it would be great if their new portrait actually reflected the outcomes of Pillars, so for example Pallegina's breastplate would be visible, and either have the symbol of the Five Suns or not depending on whether she is still a member.

Pallegina's abilities

When Reaping Knives is cast, Pallegina's weapon slot is "greyed out" with what is obviously a temporary piece of ... uhm ... art.

Some of the ability icons seem to have been revamped. FoD has a tiny lightning bolt underneath, which may mean she has a talent that adds shock damage to it? Sworn Enemy has the extra fire projectiles on top, suggesting she's got Wrath of the Five Suns. LoH and Liberating Exhortation are the same.

The lightning bolt probably represents Vielo Vidòrio, since lighting is often associated with speed.

• Like 2

A shark spiritfiorm would still be awesome, regardless if it's literally a fish out of water.

Maybe that's Tekëhu's spiritshift form, since he will be a druid. It also fits with his supposed godlike connection with Ondra.

If that's the case, he won't be my least favourite new companion anymore.

• Like 1

A shark spiritfiorm would still be awesome, regardless if it's literally a fish out of water.

Maybe that's Tekëhu's spiritshift form, since he will be a druid. It also fits with his supposed godlike connection with Ondra.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 5

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

This hit me like a speeding truck and made me go "ooooh!!!"

And then I saw @Algroth's Street Sharks pic and just went "hhhhh-" xD

• Like 1

Barbarian abilities

I've never played a Barbarian so I don't really recognize them except rage, the sprint icon, and the (now violet?) dragon leap. Are the other icons new or returning abilities?

Wait... what? No, seriously: WHAT???

What's your Facebook name? I want to befriend and then unfriend you! 

;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Barbarian abilities

Wait... what? No, seriously: WHAT???

What's your Facebook name? I want to befriend and then unfriend you!

;)

This actually explain his bottomless love for fighters

hqdefault.jpg

giphy.gif

• Like 10

Badass skull-shaped flail:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BU-bJ0KFx9u/

• Like 5

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I think it's because Darren likes Heavy Metal.

Who doesn't?

• Like 1

I think it's because Darren likes Heavy Metal.

Who doesn't?

I don't*.

*A few exceptions to the rule that include: Black Sabbath, Motörhead, Slayer, Esoteric, Reverend Bizarre, Los Natas, maudlin of the Well, Sunn O))), Boris.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I like heavy metal but I really don't listen to it. But I love when things are themed after it. Like Mad Max Fury Road or Doom.

I doubt we'll see any heavy metal in Eora. Maybe we'll get some 1st wave ska steel drum dubbed out vibes in Deadfire...