I'm thinking its got to be the Nekataka Guard filter. If you look at the initial log, Xoti's Holy Radiance, Triumph of the Crusaders and the Player's Leap don't show on the last filter; those three don't seem to specifically target the Nekataka Guard. There's also an earlier area hit on a Sailor and a Vendor from Aloth (I think its an area attack). But everything in the last toggle is shown to relate to the Nekataka Guard. 

So to me it looks like the portraits are Nekataka Guard, Player, Pallegina, Maia, Aloth, Xoti.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

one of the 'misses' is in yellow for some odd reason, a bug maybe.

It probably means that it happened due to graze-to-miss conversion.

-------

That's a nice QoL improvement indeed.

Would be nice to have "show rolls", "show timestamps" and "show DoT ticks" options as well) 

• Like 3

I'm thinking its got to be the Nekataka Guard filter. If you look at the initial log, Xoti's Holy Radiance, Triumph of the Crusaders and the Player's Leap don't show on the last filter; those three don't seem to specifically target the Nekataka Guard. There's also an earlier area hit on a Sailor and a Vendor from Aloth (I think its an area attack). But everything in the last toggle is shown to relate to the Nekataka Guard. 

So to me it looks like the portraits are Nekataka Guard, Player, Pallegina, Maia, Aloth, Xoti.

Yeah, that's the collateral damage I mentioned (there's also a wealthy gentleman that gets hit), probably to make the guards attack.

A quick clip of map movement looks like. Just sort of showing off the dagger that appears when you click on the location I guess.

The Fig updates mentioned about there being uncharted islands that you can find, I wonder if those will be procedural or some sort of prescripted thing. Or maybe it'll involve the CYOAs.

Edited by smjjames
  • Like 3

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

A quick clip of map movement looks like. Just sort of showing off the dagger that appears when you click on the location I guess.

Hehe, the dagger reminds me of DA:I War Table, while the map of Age of Corsairs' global view. Love it. Spent a lot of time playing both games)

Looks like enemy A.I. is also getting a facelift:

Some of enemies were already aggressive in PoE1, specifically: enemy barbarians, monks, to some extent shades, ogre druids (Talons' Reach) and oozes (Ooze Spit). 

That's a good improvement. One step closer to smarter AI :)

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

The Fig updates mentioned about there being uncharted islands that you can find, I wonder if those will be procedural or some sort of prescripted thing. Or maybe it'll involve the CYOAs.

My guess would be that they will still be handcrafted areas, but you will have to find the by yourself by exploring. Certainly the levels themselves won't be generated as prerendered backgrounds just don't allow for that. And I don't think procedural generation meshes too well with Obsidian's RPGs.

Will squishy Wizards gain a short-ranged teleportation spell, I wonder? Seems like they'll need it just to survive combat.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Like Dimensional Shift? ;)

One that isn't dependent on switching places with an ally would probably be better.

Also, given that Seraphen is dual wielding pistols right in the banner, I hope we can actually dual weild pistols.

• Like 1

Huh. More aggressive AI is good, but I do hope squishies will get more methods of not getting turned to mince-meat. Also, that our tanky characters will get to step up their game and protect them.

Being able to ACTUALLY TANK would be really appreciated. Like...not having the front line be entirely ignored and having characters just straight merc the squishies instantly and without hesitation? Yeah, not doing that. That would be *great*.

Huh. More aggressive AI is good, but I do hope squishies will get more methods of not getting turned to mince-meat. Also, that our tanky characters will get to step up their game and protect them.

Being able to ACTUALLY TANK would be really appreciated. Like...not having the front line be entirely ignored and having characters just straight merc the squishies instantly and without hesitation? Yeah, not doing that. That would be *great*.

As much as everyone complains about it I never felt like my tanks were ignored. Barbarian and monks had a thing for jimping behon my lines or distrupting front line but thats about it. Josh did mention though that the engagement mechanic will be more rare (not every class will have engagement) but it will be much more powerful.

• Like 3

Frankly, I find tanking atrociously boring. If a character can effectively make your enemies completely ignore the back line, you're basically hitting an I WIN button. That's one of the reasons why I.E. combat was generally more fun than Pillars combat (as much as I enjoyed both; but the engagement mechanic I was never a big fan of.)

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 4

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Frankly, I find tanking atrociously boring. If a character can effectively make your enemies completely ignore the back line, you're basically hitting an I WIN button. That's one of the reasons why I.E. combat was generally more fun than Pillars combat (as much as I enjoyed both; but the engagement mechanic I was never a big fan of.)

I do like the idea of the engagement as long as it is not too weak/powerful. The problem with infinity engine games was than a melee fighter was weaker than a range/spellcaster as they had to chase their enemies. What's more as it is real time I feel like engagement gives the combat a bit of "structure" with the engagement zone. The mechanice of blocking specific targets is interesting. I do "enjoy" having my spellcasters locked and having to either tank extra hit, or quickly find a way to disengage quickly.

• Like 1

I do like the idea of the engagement as long as it is not too weak/powerful. The problem with infinity engine games was than a melee fighter was weaker than a range/spellcaster as they had to chase their enemies. What's more as it is real time I feel like engagement gives the combat a bit of "structure" with the engagement zone. The mechanice of blocking specific targets is interesting. I do "enjoy" having my spellcasters locked and having to either tank extra hit, or quickly find a way to disengage quickly.

I feel much the same, only probably more so. The fact is, melee was such a problem in BG1 that I found in much of the game it was almost *always* the ranged weapons and spellcasters dealing all the damage, often killing enemies before melee even got to them. The biggest problem I had was that, with the lack of any real mechanic to stop it, enemies would make a bee line for spell casters and I never really figured out how to stop them. I just kind of...minimized the effect as much as I could. I even managed to play through the whole series as a mage despite this problem and also sucking at combat, through sheer perseverance.

It's always irked me, and I *really* liked the engagement mechanic when PoE came out. I was...less than pleased by the changes.

Edited by Katarack21

Looks like the Chanter + Barbarian multiclass combo will be called Howler: https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/867574277083721729

• Like 2

Looks like the Chanter + Barbarian multiclass combo will be called Howler: https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/867574277083721729

I made a joke about a howler class some time ago.

I'm not sure if I'm more happy or worried if this is official :facepalm:

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Howlol! ;)

Actually I can see that this is a great combination if the barb's shouts/howls improved a bit or if there are more of them now + the chanter's phrases and invocations which also came out like shouts most of the time.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Howlol! ;)

Actually I can see that this is a great combination if the barb's shouts/howls improved a bit or if there are more of them now + the chanter's phrases and invocations which also came out like shouts most of the time.

I'm now imagining a barbarian belting out deep voiced and loud bardic epics or something while fighting, lol.... (I actually had it on 'opera', but decided bardic epics sounded more, barbaricy.)

Or Klingon opera even.

What would the fighter+chanter combo be called? Maybe Skald or something.

Edited by smjjames

Sawyer also mentions that one of the barbarian subclasses is named corpse-eater... also something about needing sufficient supplies on your ship or your cannibal  crewmembers will go wild... (https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/867465172339703808)

Edit : Just realised this was already mentioned in another thread. Please ignore my less than useful post

Edited by dukeisaac

Sawyer also mentions that one of the barbarian subclasses is named corpse-eater... also something about needing sufficient supplies on your ship or your cannibal  crewmembers will go wild... (https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/867465172339703808)

Fampyrs! ;) At least that's what I'm thinking. Would be a fun thing to play an entire party of undead.