Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Party for upscaled PotD

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Lampros

Lampros

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 670 posts

Sounds good. Don't make your damage dealers too squishy and your frontliner too defensive (menaing they can't deal any damage).

This advice is so golden: I am having a stupendously successful PotD run where my entire front-line is a "hybrid" that could do both damage and tank (honestly, all 4 melees - even the Priest - could easily tank any of the Dragons). Likewise, none of my back-line DPS is squishy either - one being a Borresaine Fighter and the other being a Moon God-like Wizard with Arcane Veil. Just powering through the content with minimal micro-management - and handled both Concelhaut and Llengrath with ridiculous ease, even though this is the first time I faced either (I skipped both in my Normal run).

Full report on my experience when I am done. I finally found a group I liked and stuck with, and it was a power-house. In both the Concelhaut and the Llengrath fights, nobody even went below 75 percent Endurance. My only knockout was when I lost both the Borresaine Fighter and the Chanter when I dropped down the spider passageway to grab Cladhaliath, and the spiders swarmed and a trap went off at the same time - and I had no time to do anything (This was the first time I went there, so I had no idea what to expect.) Otherwise, this could have easily been a no knockout run.

Edited by Lampros, 11 October 2017 - 03:22 PM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7074 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

To be fair: a supertank (who does not much damage) can be quite nice against dragons and certain bounties. But for most fights they just lack usefulness.

• Lampros likes this

Moneo

Moneo

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts

Well, a mere paladin can be a such "supertank". It inflicts few damage until level 13, after that it starts to deliver a considerable amount with Sacred Immolation (even with low Per, I was surprised). Also, such a tank helps the party with his auras, heals and buffs. It's very useful during the whole gameplay.

Also, in some fights like dealing with Maerwald, that mess on the bridge in Defiance Bay and some other - your PC moves forward during the scripted scene. So, it's handy to have a PC tank for those occasions, albeit they are quite rare.

• Lampros likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7074 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yes, maybe useful when it comes to support, no doubt, but not very useful at tanking (at least at PoTD), which in my book not only means to survive everything the enemy has to offer, but also to bind enemies (at least melee ones) so that your backline doesn't get attacked. This doesn't work very well with a passive "supertank" who has no means of dealing damage or disables (like Overbearing Guard) because mobs will just ignore you once one or two engaged and rush your backline. It's better if you can for example knockdown two or three and kill others rather quickly while being sturdy enough to survive the heat of the front line. I mean the usual encounter on PoTD with a lot of enemeis, not boss fights. 

• Torm51 and Lampros like this

Lampros

Lampros

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 670 posts

To be fair: a supertank (who does not much damage) can be quite nice against dragons and certain bounties. But for most fights they just lack usefulness.

But hybrid DPS/tanks can do fine in these situations, too. It appears to me that even a middle-of-the-road builds that only take minimal "tanking" Abilities/Talents/gear can achieve 200 or more Deflection and Defenses with various Scrolls and party buffs. And there is no fight where those numbers are not sufficient. Heck, I suspect even going over 175 is enough for even Llengrath. (Speaking of which, is there an actual benefit to fighting her? I realized fighting her just nets you 2 more hides, and I would frankly rather take the permanent buff to three stats.)

Well, a mere paladin can be a such "supertank". It inflicts few damage until level 13, after that it starts to deliver a considerable amount with Sacred Immolation (even with low Per, I was surprised). Also, such a tank helps the party with his auras, heals and buffs. It's very useful during the whole gameplay.

Also, in some fights like dealing with Maerwald, that mess on the bridge in Defiance Bay and some other - your PC moves forward during the scripted scene. So, it's handy to have a PC tank for those occasions, albeit they are quite rare.

But my point is that a Paladin can be a superb tank even without investing heavily into tanking Abilities/Talents/gear. I dual wielded the last half of the game on both him and my front-line Fighter, and the Paladin whipped out Outworn Buckler only for the Alpine Dragon and Llengrath fights (I forgot to do so on the Adra fight). So I really see no point in going the full tank route. There has to a better value to being a full tank for it to be an attractive option - something like superior crowd control/aggro maintenance (Overbearing Guard is okay in this respect, but it is not nearly enough - and, besides, it's just one level-up point, so a hybrid can just take it without going the full tanking route anyway).

Moneo

Moneo

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts

But my point is that a Paladin can be a superb tank even without investing heavily into tanking Abilities/Talents/gear. I dual wielded the last half of the game on both him and my front-line Fighter, and the Paladin whipped out Outworn Buckler only for the Alpine Dragon and Llengrath fights (I forgot to do so on the Adra fight). So I really see no point in going the full tank route. There has to a better value to being a full tank for it to be an attractive option - something like superior crowd control/aggro maintenance (Overbearing Guard is okay in this respect, but it is not nearly enough - and, besides, it's just one level-up point, so a hybrid can just take it without going the full tanking route anyway).

Yes, pally's innate abilities make him tanky. Also, he can be an okay DD-er. But a tanky pally just suits my playstyle so well. I like to run a high Res / high Int paladin as a PC, this provides me with good conversational options. Then, I like to abuse Sacred Immolation in every battle, it's an awesome thing. But the damage goes at expense of the health, so the less harm to health this char receives from the mobs, the more battles I can pass through without resting. Personally, I hate the resting system in PoE, 'cause frequent resting leads to just wasting your real time while returning for those stupid supplies and staring at those dull loading screens. Last but not least, there is Defensive Mindweb. Boosting your pally's defenses leads to making the whole your party almost invulnerable in the late game.

Speaking of a good damaging tank option, I think, a monk suits this role the best.

• Lampros likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users