From what was told, you will be able either to import your save file from PoE1, and it will transfer relevant choices from there, or you will be able to "create" one yourself before starting the game. I imagine the choices which will matter in PoE2 are major ones (what happened with companions, relationship with gods, state of keep and dyrwood.) It would be odd, if when creating system they would forbid you from making all relevant choices. We sill see.

• Like 1

It's probably not going to be every single one. I doubt you'll get to choose yes/no on blowing out that candle without a save, for example--but who knows if it'll have any effect?

• Like 1

It could be interesting if they settled the questions via the mechanic of a historian who is investigating the events leading up to the destruction of Caed Nua. She could interview (non-transferable) former party members, with each could give their own perspective on the outcome. In that sense, it'd be somewhat like Cassandra interrogating Varric in DA2.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It could be interesting if they settled the questions via the mechanic of a historian who is investigating the events leading up to the destruction of Caed Nua. She could interview (non-transferable) former party members, with each could give their own perspective on the outcome. In that sense, it'd be somewhat like Cassandra interrogating Varric in DA2.

I would prefer, if you simply had to choose fate of your companions and relevant choices before starting a game in a neat, clean menu.

You know, since Maia is Kana's sister, I wonder if Kana's ending would have any affect on her opinion of you.....

I wonder how we manage to meet up with her though, he sends a letter of reference?

It seems most likely that Kana's ending will have at least some bearing on the Watcher's interactions with her, but if memory serves, the rest of Kana's family assume more conventional Rauatai attitudes of militaristic expansion and resistance to outside influence, so him having a favorable opinion of the Watcher may actually cause Kana's family to resent the Watcher as someone who has been further enabling his delusions.

As for meeting Maia, we know that she's a Rauatai ship captain involved in the effort to claim the Huana as subjects of the Rauatai nation. We also know that she's working with a courtier named Atsura and struggling to find her footing amidst all the political maneuvering that's going (as mentioned here - https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=263#updates). From what's been revealed so far, the mention of politics and the accompaniment of one of the Ranga Nui's courtiers may suggest interactions with Queen Onekaza II within the city of Neketaka, which seems to be the likeliest place for such intrigues to occur given the Queen's efforts to play the Vailians and Rauatians against each other (as per - https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=256#updates). Based on this, I'd expect to first encounter Maia in Neketaka and I'd further expect that encounter to be related to her duties as opposed to some sort of meeting that Kana arranged, especially since the Watcher may have killed, ignored, or fed him to the blood pool during the previous game.

Edited by blotter

You know, since Maia is Kana's sister, I wonder if Kana's ending would have any affect on her opinion of you.....

I wonder how we manage to meet up with her though, he sends a letter of reference?

It seems most likely that Kana's ending will have at least some bearing on the Watcher's interactions with her, but if memory serves, the rest of Kana's family assume more conventional Rauatai attitudes of militaristic expansion and resistance to outside influence, so him having a favorable opinion of the Watcher may actually cause Kana's family to resent the Watcher as someone who has been further enabling his delusions.

As for meeting Maia, we know that she's a Rauatai ship captain involved in the effort to claim the Huana as subjects of the Rauatai nation. We also know that she's working with a courtier named Atsura and struggling to find her footing amidst all the political maneuvering that's going (as mentioned here - https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=263#updates). From what's been revealed so far, the mention of politics and the accompaniment of one of the Ranga Nui's courtiers may suggest interactions with Queen Onekaza II within the city of Neketaka, which seems to be the likeliest place for such intrigues to occur given the Queen's efforts to play the Vailians and Rauatians against each other (as per - https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=256#updates). Based on this, I'd expect to first encounter Maia in Neketaka and I'd further expect that encounter to be related to her duties as opposed to some sort of meeting that Kana arranged, especially since the Watcher may have killed, ignored, or fed him to the blood pool during the previous game.

Heh, that's going to clash with the goals of the main that I'm doing that I want to bring into PoE2 since he's going to be an ally of the Huana since they're his people.

I suppose there may be a chance for the player to change her views.

That candle tho.

That seems to be the biggest choice of all, Eothas probably ain't too happy that on top of being blown up and his followers killed some adventurer blew out his candle.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I suppose there may be a chance for the player to change her views.

It's hard to say, but she does have Huana ancestry. Maybe one of the reasons that the devs chose to add her as a companion is because she's either conflicted about her duties on some level or she could be persuaded to feel that way, in either case allowing the player to explore characteristics of Rauatai people that may fall outside of the militaristic arrogance currently seems to define their presence in the area.

For my part, I'm more interested in the opportunity to make Xoti an apostate. She seems interesting, but my Watcher's going to be pretty obsessed with causing as much harm to her god as possible after having most of his soul eaten by the bastard.

That candle tho.

That seems to be the biggest choice of all, Eothas probably ain't too happy that on top of being blown up and his followers killed some adventurer blew out his candle.

Maybe what we saw on the Trailer just happen if you blew out his candle.

• Like 1

I'm guessing it depends on how successful Kana is in presenting his views.  If you convince him to take the tablet with him then he becomes an influential voice for progress as his theories are proven correct, so his sister might become more progressive as well.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

That candle tho.

And I don’t even remember what choice I made there :facepalm:

Pillars of Bugothas

If you convince him to take the tablet with him then he becomes an influential voice for progress as his theories are proven correct, so his sister might become more progressive as well.

If memory serves, he's never actually able to produce proof for his theories. The tablets are left fragmented and largely illegible, though I do remember being able to get him to trace bits and pieces of them. AFAIR, if he goes back and persists in his claims, he loses academic credibility but still manages to attract interest and patronage from those who are less concerned about his formal credentials. I'd expect his sister to have mixed feelings about that at best, but who knows.

Then again, I certainly haven't seen all of his endings. If there is one where the tablets are somehow preserved and he is fully vindicated before his people, that's a different story I suppose.

Maybe what we saw on the Trailer just happen if you blew out his candle.

Yup, if you don't blow out the candle Deadfire begins with the Watcher deciding to go on a nice holiday to the eponymous archipelago and, wanting to travel light, they voluntarily give up their soul's power.

• Like 1

Given how Obsidian does things (and it's the same team that worked on PoE1 and White March), I'd be surprised if there wasn't some way to nudge her opinion one way or another. Besides, with the whole political intrigue going on and the interactions between companions, it makes sense to be able to swing things one way or another.

If you convince him to take the tablet with him then he becomes an influential voice for progress as his theories are proven correct, so his sister might become more progressive as well.

If memory serves, he's never actually able to produce proof for his theories. The tablets are left fragmented and largely illegible, though I do remember being able to get him to trace bits and pieces of them. AFAIR, if he goes back and persists in his claims, he loses academic credibility but still manages to attract interest and patronage from those who are less concerned about his formal credentials. I'd expect his sister to have mixed feelings about that at best, but who knows.

Then again, I certainly haven't seen all of his endings. If there is one where the tablets are somehow preserved and he is fully vindicated before his people, that's a different story I suppose.

You have to convince him to take the tablet, which involves specific dialogue, but if he does then it becomes the proof needed and he becomes a strong voice of progress.

750px-Kana_inspires_1.jpg?version=bd7ea8

750px-Kana_inspires_2.jpg?version=4e190a

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Anybody know if stuff done in the White March 1 and 2 expansions will have an effect on things in PoE2? Given that not everybody is going to have those expansions, it's not likely. However, the reason I'm wondering is because one of Concelhauts (White March content apparently) apprentices is an island Aumaua (though she has the coloration of a coastal Aumaua) who wants to tip the balance of power on her island. But she barely has a backstory at all and isn't likely to be remembered in PoE2.

You have to convince him to take the tablet, which involves specific dialogue, but if he does then it becomes the proof needed and he becomes a strong voice of progress.

750px-Kana_inspires_1.jpg?version=bd7ea8

750px-Kana_inspires_2.jpg?version=4e190a

Interesting. The way he talked about the shattered tablet at the end of the quest, I figured it was more or less an illegible mess lacking much in the way of individually defining features, but I suppose a lot of that could come down to the despair he felt at that given moment: after all, if he didn't think there was any point in studying it more closely for useful information and/or pertinent features left on it that he could use to support his claims, then it follows that he wouldn't bother to make much an effort to find them. 

Anybody know if stuff done in the White March 1 and 2 expansions will have an effect on things in PoE2? Given that not everybody is going to have those expansions, it's not likely. However, the reason I'm wondering is because one of Concelhauts (White March content apparently) apprentices is an island Aumaua (though she has the coloration of a coastal Aumaua) who wants to tip the balance of power on her island. But she barely has a backstory at all and isn't likely to be remembered in PoE2.

During the Q&As, Sawyer mentioned that there may be further developments pertaining to the Engwithan phylactery that you're able to seize from Cragholdt.

Which is to say, developments concerning Concelhaut's skull.

The state of Stalwart village/Durgan's battery both seem like things that may be mentioned in Deadfire depending on the choices you made, though I doubt we'll see any durgan steel either way given the direction they're taking with weapon upgrades. 

Lord Gathbin was an Aedyran noble, if memory serves. Given that there are some Aedyrans in the Deadfire area, it's not inconceivable that they might comment on how you dealt with him (though it does seem like a stretch). Captain Emery does seem like the sort who might take to pirating after the abrupt end of her bodyguard work if you talked her out of standing by Gathbin at the battle of Yenwood field, so maybe we'll meet her again. It wouldn't matter much either way, but it could be interesting.

Whether you bargain with Uariki or kill her may prompt some minor reactivity; her limited backstory notwithstanding, it does seem so specifically relevant to the situation with the Huana's colonization woes that I wouldn't be too surprised to see some slight reactivity based on it. It's highly doubtful that she's made meaningful progress in her research either way by the time of Deadfire, but maybe she'll reappear as an npc of minor or moderate importance in Deadfire if you struck a deal with her (assuming she survives in that case; I've never decided not to kill her outright, so I wouldn't know).

That's a lot of "maybes" to string together, I'll grant, but the matter of if/how you dealt with the archmages, as a matter separate from the Engwithan phylactery, does seem highly likely to be noted in Deadfire since they've confirmed that there will be further interactions with archmages in the sequel.

Similarly, your choices concerning the fate of the Eyeless and where that leaves Abydon is another bit from the White March expansions that seems quite likely to be tracked in Deadfire. In regards to the gods themselves, Ondra, Eothas, and Abydon are all linked to the event by personal circumstances and/or the nature of their divine portfolios (in Eothas' case, because you either facilitated or prevented Abydon's rebirth as the god of preservation and hope); Magran might also take note given how closely she's associated with him. Where mortals are concerned, the church of Abydon would obviously react to the change and, if the Eyeless returned to Abydon, the redoubled interest in exploring Engwithan ruins and subsequent conflicts with the Glanfathans would be likely topic of conversation among Dyrwoodans we run across in the game. Also, there are Engwithan Saints in the area, so presumably there are Engwithan ruins as well. This could make Abydon's changes a matter of local significance as well.

Edited by blotter
  • Like 1