Jordan Peterson vs. Feminists, SJW, Biology Deniers, Bioware fanboi/gurl/non-binary/non-he/non-she/xe/xi/ze/zi/it/whatever

ktchong

I don't think that example similar at all. A name is just a name, pronouns denominate belonging to some category. They generalize over that category. So if someone keeps calling you something that you're not, that would be annoying. Imagine someone incessantly calls you a ballerina. In one case it's because your a professional soccer player who keeps feigning injuries, the other is because your the smallest most effeminate guy on the soccer team. Repeated use in the latter case could be considered harassment. Especially if the person knows you don't like it. The former is just mocking your behavior.

Forget about what legally such repeated behavior should be called. It's certainly something we would call not nice. In a high school setting we'd call it bullying, professional we'd might call it harassment.

Pronouns are both used to denominate the category of sex and gender. The former being concrete and very well defined, and the later I personally believe poorly and inconsistently defined. So if someone uses pronouns to denominate sex, then end up confronted by a co-worker or student who expects them use to denominate gender in relation to themselves, you could find yourself at an impasse. Personally I'd rather have people acknowledge pronouns can be used either way and not restrict themselves to denoting just sex or just gender. As long as the person doesn't have to reach for pronouns beyond he/she/they when denoting gender. Doing that, I feel, as a civil courtesy seems like it nets you the trade off that you can still debate what gender or self-identity really is at the neurological level, rather than having the science per-codified into law. You don't protect people by harassment by defining what gender identity is. Instead you extend courtesy. At that point you do no wrong to investigate, debate, or challenge the nature of gender, and those who are upset have no grounds to claim they are personally attacked. Just like flat-Earthers can't claim discrimination because people don't agree with their belief of the world.

I'll throw the bone though, that there are a non-negligible amount of people in the campus setting who will throw around obscure pronouns at faculty an students in order to cultivate oppressive experiences with which to virtue protest by. I'm really not trying to coddle or level with those people. Part of the reason I have my approach to pronouns as I do is that I think it's important to cultivate an attitude that nips their game in the bud, and to disarm them. At the same time taking the higher ground and not devolving to any form of bigotry against identity. I'm really more concerned with keeping the English language robust and keeping open a free debate over the actually nature of things. Because I don't think people really know what their identity truly is, not enough to make a claim on how identity works. But I also think they are free to explore to find how they want to live, whether it's to their detriment or benefit.

I think the problem people are having is that Gender and Sex were considered synonyms by most people until very recently, and outside of psychology or gender studies, are still considered such. Which is why the trans acceptance movement is seeing such resistance. The idea of gender as a pattern of behaviour and style separate from biological sex isn't something that has widely caught on, so people see it as trying to get people to deny reality for the sake of crazy people.

The way I see the pronoun thing is if you look and act like a dude I'll use he, if you look and act like a chick, I'll use she. If you want me to use xie or other made up nonsense, I just won't interact with you because I don't need that kind of crazy in my life.

• Like 3
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I think injurai mentioned it earlier, but I also am in agreement that a gender-neutral "they" is more than enough to use in reference two people not in either end of the gender spectrum, and that *enforcing* a specific pronoun to refer to one will likely make them look more like an asshat than aid in anything.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Pffft, everyone is a woman when bent over.

• Like 3

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

One of the most successful women in history proclaims:"I'm no feminist."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_txnPkSJAPU

Well, I like Judge Judy as much as the next senior citizen, but I'm not sure if I'd rank her at the top of women in history. That being said, she isn't really proclaiming anything, but rather saying she never saw the need to jump on board with a movement.

Still a funny headline though.

She was pretty clear. She ain't no feminist.  'Top women in history'. What abre the qualifications for that? She clearly is one of the most successful people - let alone women - in history. It is simply fact.

Don't be butthurt that accomplished more than a little male like you has.

I don't agree with her on everything but it is clear she doesn't rely on crutches or silly SJW nazi games to succeed.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Judge Judy is the one of the most successful people in history ?

Huh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Huh.

Jeanne d'Arc, Marie Curie, Rosa Luxemburg and.... Judge Judy
  • Like 1

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

She was pretty clear. She ain't no feminist.  'Top women in history'. What abre the qualifications for that? She clearly is one of the most successful people - let alone women - in history. It is simply fact.

I don't agree with her on everything but it is clear she doesn't rely on crutches or silly SJW nazi games to succeed.

volo Judge Judy is not one of the successful women in history, you are only supporting her  because she appears to align with your flawed understanding of gender equality/feminism

Its okay volo, men still have relevance in society. No need to worry  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

volo Judge Judy is not one of the successful women in history, you are only supporting her  because she appears to align with your flawed understanding of gender equality/feminism

Its okay volo, men still have relevance in society. No need to worry  :geek:

Oh cmon, if any equality is flawed its feminist one as it actually have not much to do with meaning of equal

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Judge Judy has a net worth of 290M, makes 47M per year. Yeah, she can but and sell every one of us. :lol:

Wow. That's much higher than I would have expected. Of course, the Kardashians are also raking in the dough, and I'm not sure I'd put them on any historical lists. Now that isn't to take away from Judge Judy, she has a significant background in family court and law. She's definitely on the historical list somewhere. Maybe in the top-300?

Judge Judy has a net worth of 290M, makes 47M per year. Yeah, she can but and sell every one of us. :lol:

Pft, if we were cheap. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Huh.

Jeanne d'Arc, Marie Curie, Rosa Luxemburg and.... Judge Judy

While I wouldn't say JJ is one of the most successful in history, I also certainly wouldn't say at least two of the three you seem to think are either.

Fame /= Success

"Pft, if we were cheap."

We're spamming internetz forumz. We're *ALL* cheap.

Speak for yourself, Canadian trash! :p
  • Like 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-CJ-oHs4SU

Funny. Last man Standing was cancellled/not renewed despite having high ratings for its Friday slot and making money in syndictation and otherwise. the official reasoning? Tim Allen 'makes too much'. I doubt  he makes mroe money than any other star that leads a popular sitcom. The obvious real reason? He is that rare conservative/anti SJW Nazi who also happens to be a celebrity. Can't have that. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.