Seeking critique and advice on pure ranged CC Druid concept

I looked at the build list thread, saw that all of the druids were tanky types, so, I thought 'what about a Crowd Control Druid build?'. Hence the origin of my concept. There doesn't really seem to be an AI mode for CC druid though, but it seems to work with Hiravias, not sure how effective.

I haven't made a new character to test it out just yet, though I have been levelling Hiravias as that idea, but here's a conceptualized build constructed from a hired companion up to level 14. I'm aware of the 'how to post builds' and seen how others do it, but as a concept, it's going to have holes.

Race: Either Aumaua or Dwarf, but I kind of like Mountain Dwarf for this.

Class: Druid

Culture: Either Aedyr or Ixmatl Plains for the +1 resolve. Choice depends on how you want to flavor the character I suppose.

Background: Hunter

Attributes: 16 / 11 / 11 / 11 / 16 / 14

Abilities:

Spiritshift boar (isn't meant to go into melee, but the endurance ability is a nice fallback).

Spell Mastery: Nature's Mark

Spell Mastery: Insect Swarm

Spell Mastery: Infestation of Maggots

Talents:

Weapon focus: Adventurer (or Ruffian if using pistols)

Marksman (gunner if using pistols)

Mental Fortress

Veterans recovery (maybe?)

Bonus 3rd Level spell (because infestation of maggots is a nasty thing)

Body Control

Bonus 4th level spell (level 14 talent because I'm out of ideas)

Equipment (a lot of unknown because I don't have experience yet with a druid character, and I'm not sure what this build would need in terms of equipment):

Weapon: Warbows, either Borresaine or Cloudpiercer. Or maybe pistols?

Boots: unknown

Armor: Padded armor maybe?

Gloves: unknown

Cloak/Amulet: unknown

head: unknown

belt: unknown

Rings: unknown

You can make a decent implement druid. He can use the soulbound scepter - and even if you don't need the additional spiritshift it gives you, it still is a great weapon that early in the game because of the raw lash and also the superhigh accuracy. The Golden Gaze is also a good option but comes later. Your goal would be to use Rot Skulls at some point. This summoned weapon is way stronger than the description suggests. It's the best ranged weapon in the game in my opinion. Sadly, it comes quite late (spell lvl 6), but once you have it it's totally worth skilling your druid around its use. That means Marksman, & Dangerous Implement. Rot Skulls has big base damage and therefore the +25% of Dangerous Implement works wonders. Same with Apprentices Sneak Attack (you have enough spells that cause afflictions). Things like Cloak of the Frozen Hunt or Archer's Gloves work well, too. Everything that gives you damage bonuses.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

TBH I'd take any druid just for spells like Plague of Insects, the build is just a bonus.

I like having Hiravias around and Rot Skulls is my go-to spell for when I want him to nuke stuff at range, yep. Goes well with the Spiritshift: Corrode talent line and Spirit of Decay. I usually prefer my druids in the back row though so they can keep casting spellls without being disturbed.

Don't bother with extra healing talents on a party druid. They already get healing spells and Survival.

Edited by scythesong

Unfortunately, Rot Skulls don't work with Spirit of Decay. The initial hit is crush damage and the corrosive AoE blast is a DoT effect (which stacks) - those don't profit from the elemantal booster talents.

But of course (Greater) Wildstrike Corrode cries for Spirit of Decay.

Rot Skulls used to work with Envenomed Strike, delivering deadly AoE poison via the blast. But since wizard's Blast and Spirit Lance were nerfed in that regard (they did the same) I guess Rot Skulls were, too.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Really? Darn. The corrode Wildstrike/Spirit of Decay talents have always been mainstays for my builds (never tried to solo a druid, so no pressure talent-wise).

Extra mileage out of Spirit of Decay would have been nice, and Rot Skulls is just so hassle-free compared to spamming non-essential nukes. Ah well.

Edited by scythesong

I looked at the build list thread, saw that all of the druids were tanky types, so, I thought 'what about a Crowd Control Druid build?'.

You don't need Might for CC, you can take points from here and put them into Perception which you do need. Maxed Intellect wouldn't hurt.

For Spell masteries:

lvl1: either Nature's Mark or Tanglefoot.

lvl2: Blizzard used to be good but after heavy nerf i won't risk recommending it so you can stay with Insect Swarm.

lvl3: Returning Storm.

lvl4: Overwhelming Wave - it can be used twice per combat if you cast it out of combat and out of enemy vision range (per encounter will refresh before spell hits the enemy). Or Calling the World's Maw if you're not comfortable with Wave's template.

Weapon: Warbows, either Borresaine or Cloudpiercer. Or maybe pistols?

Borresaine does CC, Cloudpiercer AFAIR does not. There's also Sabra Marie warbow but it comes later. Can't go wrong with warbows if you want ranged weapon.

As for elemental talents - for typical caster druid it's fire > lightning > cold (no acid, it's useless due to a bug, except for resist). But for CC druid lightning takes a priority. They don't really help you with CC but if you have a spare talent they are worth it.

Remember druids only have one paralysis spell that works vs only one enemy category. Ditto for mind affecting effects (charm). It doesn't make them bad at CC, i mention it so you don't get surprised.

Vancian =/= per rest.