Ydwin to return in the expansion?

The question now is: do I reinstal PoE, reload my save and do the quest, or do I make another full playthough...

No matter what, you should definitely do it. And you should have Hiravias with you. It's no great thing, but it's old school fun.

Now you intrigued me to reload and take Hiravias with me when to Zahua's quest :p

Damn!

The question now is: do I reinstal PoE, reload my save and do the quest, or do I make another full playthough...

No matter what, you should definitely do it. And you should have Hiravias with you. It's no great thing, but it's old school fun.

Now you intrigued me to reload and take Hiravias with me when to Zahua's quest :p

Damn!

Sorry to disappoint you, but there aren't really any comments by other characters during the quest.

There is however, a funny interaction with Eder and Hiravias (you need both for the full interaction) when you meet the orlan who gives you the Ready the Cannons quest.

• 3 months later...

Ydwin still a sidekick: "Ydwin is currently a base cipher and/or base rogue, but two of the other sidekicks do have subclasses."

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/165191293231/hi-josh-i-was-wodnering-if-all-companions-will

WIld Mind Cipher sounds interesting...

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Ydwin still a sidekick: "Ydwin is currently a base cipher and/or base rogue, but two of the other sidekicks do have subclasses."

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/165191293231/hi-josh-i-was-wodnering-if-all-companions-will

Sounds more like him acknowledging that Ydwin is pretty popular (atm anyway) and that all of the sidekicks have the same first class choice restrictions.

Sounds more like him acknowledging that Ydwin is pretty popular (atm anyway) and that all of the sidekicks have the same first class choice restrictions.

I think that means 2 of the sidekicks(out of 4) have special subclasses, Ydwin has class choice but no special subclass. Its not clear ıf the 2 that have special subclasses also have class choice or locked "first class". 

I think that means 2 of the sidekicks(out of 4) have special subclasses, Ydwin has class choice but no special subclass. Its not clear ıf the 2 that have special subclasses also have class choice or locked "first class". 

Conclusive evidence that Ydwin is the least special.

• Like 1

I wouldn't entirely be surprised if Ydwin and others are expanded and made full companions through the expansions - that alongside other stretch goals not reached.

I would be. I think a question regarding that was asked on one of the stream and the answer was no - it would take a lot of work to rework existing material and sidekick to reach companion level - better to spent resources on a new companion with new content. 

As far as monster and finishing - it looks like a feature that could be added on a later date, for example with an expansion. 

I wouldn't entirely be surprised if Ydwin and others are expanded and made full companions through the expansions - that alongside other stretch goals not reached.

I would be. I think a question regarding that was asked on one of the stream and the answer was no - it would take a lot of work to rework existing material and sidekick to reach companion level - better to spent resources on a new companion with new content. 

As far as monster and finishing - it looks like a feature that could be added on a later date, for example with an expansion. 

I don't recall seeing that question asked, but I'm not sure how much reworking would be needed, so much as expanding on the base that is provided by the vanilla game. I'm not saying that it *will* happen, mind, just that it seems perfectly plausible.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I don't recall seeing that question asked, but I'm not sure how much reworking would be needed, so much as expanding on the base that is provided by the vanilla game. I'm not saying that it *will* happen, mind, just that it seems perfectly plausible.

I spent some time looking for it with no result so I might have been under an influence of Zahua's mushrooms.

Each additional companion they added increased the work needed for ALL companions by 50%.  So for instance, we started off having 5 companions during the campaign, when they added the 6th then the work required for those pre-existing 5 companions increased by 50% as well.  Thats why they had Ydwin so high up I believe, due to the increased workload they wanted to make sure they got tons of money for it. 

Why does it increase the cost of each pre-existing character so much?  Because Obsidian are not doing them as separate discrete blocks, but in an interconnected webway of relationships.  You add Ydwin, you need to work out what traits are being tracked by each of the other companions in order to determine how they feel about her, and vise versa, and the actions that may result from them.  If you don't quite get that then imagine this: each character is a point with a line, or connection, going to every single other point.  When there are just two points, you only have one line.  Add a third, and each point will have two lines coming from it, for a total of 3 lines.  Add a fourth, and each point will have 3 lines coming from each of them for a total of SIX!  See how the number of lines escalate?  Now imagine that each line is made up of mini-lines that make up that line, each one representing a different trait such as "Likes animals" (Eder's one) that defines what form that line will take. 

That is why certain writers in Obsidian probably blew a sigh of relief when they saw that Ydwin goal hadn't been met. ;)  Now, I'm sure the response is that they have added characters before in expansions, but these have not been built this way before, rather they were built in the old silo style where they ignore each other and only have eyes for their Lord and Saviour PC, which is probably the extent we'll get from Sidekicks like Ydwin (if we're lucky, they are using the term sidekicks for characters that they are not promising equalised content like with the companion, making them more uneven like with the Baldur's Gate 2 companions).

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Yeah, the only way I could see companions getting added in expansions us if did expansions were stand alone a la Throne of Bhaal. This way all companion-companion interactions would be new, rather than having to integrate a new companion into an already complicated web.

Agreed, and then you got the question of what does get carried over if you keep any of the companions from the main questline, or if it will specifically avoid having any of the base game companions at all (like Mask of the Betrayer).

• Like 1

What does anyone even know about this Ydwin other than one picture?

Why do you care so much?

Tbh we know her backstory which is very interesting but the sad truth is that most people went ape**** about her for fapping reasons :(

Okay let's take a moment to be fair and insert some perspective.

People were excited for a number of reasons.

1. Her design, regardless of however many people will swear up and own it is "anime", is actually very good.
  2. Her background makes her out to be one of those potentially crazy Edwin type characters which was really absent in Eternity 1.  Durance is really just a self absorbed ****, and Hiravias is just a horndog.  Neither are really that slightly crazy, but definitely evil, mix.
  3. She is the only pale elf team member of any variety, and lots of people like pale elves.  No, mercs you hire at the inn don't count.
  4. She is the only person who can be a rogue at level one other than Eder.  Unlike Eder, it actually makes sense for her to have rogue levels.
  5. This is potentially the biggest reason for those of us who care about the lore of the game, she is the only party member option from either game that is actually an Animancer.  A profession you REALLY should have had represented in Eternity 1's party, since most of your team didn't care, or was against it.  In fact, was anyone other than Pallegina pro animancy?
  6. Yes, promancers wanted a female elf option.  Get over it :p

So yeah, there are some good reasons people liked her as a character and wanted her to be more than a sidekick.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

Each additional companion they added increased the work needed for ALL companions by 50%.  So for instance, we started off having 5 companions during the campaign, when they added the 6th then the work required for those pre-existing 5 companions increased by 50% as well.  Thats why they had Ydwin so high up I believe, due to the increased workload they wanted to make sure they got tons of money for it. 

Why does it increase the cost of each pre-existing character so much?  Because Obsidian are not doing them as separate discrete blocks, but in an interconnected webway of relationships.  You add Ydwin, you need to work out what traits are being tracked by each of the other companions in order to determine how they feel about her, and vise versa, and the actions that may result from them.  If you don't quite get that then imagine this: each character is a point with a line, or connection, going to every single other point.  When there are just two points, you only have one line.  Add a third, and each point will have two lines coming from it, for a total of 3 lines.  Add a fourth, and each point will have 3 lines coming from each of them for a total of SIX!  See how the number of lines escalate?  Now imagine that each line is made up of mini-lines that make up that line, each one representing a different trait such as "Likes animals" (Eder's one) that defines what form that line will take. 

That is why certain writers in Obsidian probably blew a sigh of relief when they saw that Ydwin goal hadn't been met. ;)  Now, I'm sure the response is that they have added characters before in expansions, but these have not been built this way before, rather they were built in the old silo style where they ignore each other and only have eyes for their Lord and Saviour PC, which is probably the extent we'll get from Sidekicks like Ydwin (if we're lucky, they are using the term sidekicks for characters that they are not promising equalised content like with the companion, making them more uneven like with the Baldur's Gate 2 companions).

Just to clarify, we are keeping in mind that I was only talking about expansion content, right? Because I don't deny that a lot of work would come into the creation of a new companion or the expansion of a sidekick to companion status, and would never expect that to occur for the primary release. All the same, even while considering the above which is all very true I do see it as a plausible endeavour for a future expansion/DLC. That's why it wouldn't surprise me. I'm not saying it *will* happen, or that I'd be particularly disappointed if it didn't, but it does seem like a perfectly feasible possibility.

What does anyone even know about this Ydwin other than one picture?

Why do you care so much?

Tbh we know her backstory which is very interesting but the sad truth is that most people went ape**** about her for fapping reasons :(

Okay let's take a moment to be fair and insert some perspective.

People were excited for a number of reasons.

1. Her design, regardless of however many people will swear up and own it is "anime", is actually very good.
  2. Her background makes her out to be one of those potentially crazy Edwin type characters which was really absent in Eternity 1.  Durance is really just a self absorbed ****, and Hiravias is just a horndog.  Neither are really that slightly crazy, but definitely evil, mix.
  3. She is the only pale elf team member of any variety, and lots of people like pale elves.  No, mercs you hire at the inn don't count.
  4. She is the only person who can be a rogue at level one other than Eder.  Unlike Eder, it actually makes sense for her to have rogue levels.
  5. This is potentially the biggest reason for those of us who care about the lore of the game, she is the only party member option from either game that is actually an Animancer.  A profession you REALLY should have had represented in Eternity 1's party, since most of your team didn't care, or was against it.  In fact, was anyone other than Pallegina pro animancy?
  6. Yes, promancers wanted a female elf option.  Get over it :p

So yeah, there are some good reasons people liked her as a character and wanted her to be more than a sidekick.

1-5 points were the things that made me think she is the most interesting among the sidekicks (or even the new companions) but I didn't go crazy about her. It's just basic info. None went crazy about any other sidekick :p

And let's be honest, most of the comments had to do with her looks mate :p

Edited by Sedrefilos

Her background makes her out to be one of those potentially crazy Edwin type characters which was really absent in Eternity 1.  Durance is really just a self absorbed ****, and Hiravias is just a horndog.  Neither are really that slightly crazy, but definitely evil, mix.

I never thought of Hiravias as a horndog at all. Regardless I'm not sure how Ydwin would seem any closer to Edwin, similarities to their names aside: animancers are not de facto evil and her description paints her more as the shy kind of awkward type than the comically megalomaniac and power-hungry type Edwin was. Of the reasons given I do agree that her role as an animancer is what makes her character more interesting to expand upon, but to add to Sedrefilos' argument the hype for Ydwin hardly came about until her concept artwork was released.