Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ydwin to return in the expansion?

• Please log in to reply
691 replies to this topic

Abel

Abel

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I can't think of a couple of other games that have done this, but I know they exist.

Arcanum?

• Lephys likes this

HooAmEye

HooAmEye

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Dragon Age (as revealed in Inquisition) and Warhammer

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2396 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Warhammer

As an example where dwarfs are a subrace of humans? Definitely not.

In the far past of 40k that was the case for squats, but squats were long ago retconned out of existence and it has never been the case in Fantasy.

Messier-31

Messier-31

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1923 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Warhammer dwarves? Not a sub-race

https://vignette3.wi...=20160124114242

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2685 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Uh there are no games where dwarves are just a human subrace, hence why they are treated like their own race, with their own culture.

TheisEjsing

TheisEjsing

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Uh there are no games where dwarves are just a human subrace, hence why they are treated like their own race, with their own culture.

Well, there's little Bill, and Jimmy from GTA. They're a human subrace. ;-)

• Karkarov likes this

blotter

blotter

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think that what Lephys is saying is that in many games, even when dwarves are nominally distinguished from humans on the basis of race and culture, the differences are so minuscule in practice that they tend to seem more like little, stocky humans than a truly distinct species.

In the Pillars games, that might even be deliberate insofar as the setting's emphasis lies more on differentiation through cultures (which typically cross racial lines in Eora) than races, but by the same token, dwarves would hardly be the only ones affected by this approach.

Edit: Upon rereading his post, I'd say I missed the point. His statement that

Aesthetically, they seem like more of a sub-race than an actual race, if they're not distinct enough

Relates to issues of visual character design/racial phenotypes rather than personality or culture.

Edited by blotter, 22 October 2017 - 08:48 AM.

• Lephys likes this

algroth

algroth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 766 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Changes in the portrait ...

oqzq08.png

Definite improvement, and I like it a lot. Nice work!

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Blotter is quite correct, Karkarov. Sorry for any confusion. Yeah, I don't need them to be like 300% different from humans. But, if they could've just been actual humans who simply stopped growing at 4-ft of height, and happen to be a bit muscular, it bugs me. Of course, same with elves who look EXACTLY like svelte humans with pointy ears.

It's hard to put a finger on, but it's possible to give even a race that looks very similar to humans its own distinct style and "aesthetic personality." Give it a feature set that says "Okay... from across a field, I might think that's a human. But nope... up close, that's DEFINITELY a Dwarf and not just a stocky human."

• Messier-31 likes this

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2685 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Blotter is quite correct, Karkarov. Sorry for any confusion. Yeah, I don't need them to be like 300% different from humans. But, if they could've just been actual humans who simply stopped growing at 4-ft of height, and happen to be a bit muscular, it bugs me. Of course, same with elves who look EXACTLY like svelte humans with pointy ears.

It's hard to put a finger on, but it's possible to give even a race that looks very similar to humans its own distinct style and "aesthetic personality." Give it a feature set that says "Okay... from across a field, I might think that's a human. But nope... up close, that's DEFINITELY a Dwarf and not just a stocky human."

Well dude by that token elves are just skinny humans with long ears and light skin tone.

Messier-31

Messier-31

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1923 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Have to agree, PoE characters sometimes all look like humans.

Plus: https://forums.obsid...d-speculations/

Edited by Messier-31, 23 October 2017 - 09:53 PM.

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well, sometimes they are just designed as humans with pointy ears. I find it far more interesting when they're at least structured differently. I mean, an android is just a human that's made out of electronics, but you can still put an android into a game and make it look mostly human while having it behave in a unique fashion. Something to distinguish it, intuitively, from a human. Unless, of course, the point of the lore/story is that it's very hard to distinguish them. If you do something interesting with that, then great. If not, it's a bit silly to sit down and create something that's 99% like this other thing you created. I think we tend to enjoy things more when an entirely different race of creatures seems and feels like a different race, and we're not having to be reminded constantly that "Oh, they only live in this forest, and they have +2 Int, and if you look really closely, they all have a mole on their left forearm."

It's a lot more than aesthetic differences, but the aesthetics help. *shrug*. Maybe I'm just weird, and everyone else is cool with like 7 Star Trek races that all look almost exactly like humans, but with a tiny dimple somewhere, or different eyebrows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users