Ydwin to return in the expansion?

What if... the sidekicks were kind of "stickied" to certain areas? So, like, you go to one of the islands and you bump into Steve, the sidekick. He doesn't just go with you on your ship to wherever you need to go. He's got his own stuff going on, and it's not flexible enough to coincide with your agenda, except maybe in certain dungeons/areas. That way, they could have a much more focused story, for a reason. If you go into The Dungeon of Blah-Blah, they'll go with you. Otherwise, they're off doing their own thing while you go do your stuff, whenever it's not where they want to be at the time. But you keep bumping into them throughout the game, so they're a part of the "whole game."

Yeah, so this way IF YOU HELPED with their quests when you enter the end-game dungeon (to finally beat the main boss) you encounter all of those certain-area sidekicks, who formed their own adventuring party in their free time, and won the game for you. Or something boring like fight them, or ally with them with a high Resolve check.

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I always liked an idea of joinable companions, who wouldn't be your property and would have their own lives. 

Same. You join up with them whilst working on the same quest but when that's done they leave to carry on with their lives rather than immediately dropping everything to join you. I understand why this wouldn't be popular in this sort of game, but I'd quite like it.

I always liked an idea of joinable companions, who wouldn't be your property and would have their own lives. 

Same. You join up with them whilst working on the same quest but when that's done they leave to carry on with their lives rather than immediately dropping everything to join you. I understand why this wouldn't be popular in this sort of game, but I'd quite like it.

Dragon Age 2 did something like that. Your companions were scattered here amd there in the city and, when not adventureing with you, they did their own things, some of them would interfere with the main story, some would be quests for you to help them if you'd wish and other would resolve to a relaxing conversation and asking your oppinion about how to handle or how do you think they handled their personal problem. Ithink it was the only good thing in DA2 :p

Now this (Wormerine's) is a new idea, a very interesting one, imo, but it might be better for a more single-person oriented rpg, were your would not need to plan a party composition in order to play through.

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 2

Dragon Age 2 did something like that. Your companions were scattered here amd there in the city and, when not adventureing with you, they did their own things, some of them would interfere with the main story, some would be quests for you to help them if you'd wish and other would resolve to a relaxing conversation and asking your oppinion about how to handle or how do you think they handled their personal problem. Ithink it was the only good thing in DA2 :p

Now this (Wormerine's) is a new idea, a very interesting one, imo, but it might be better for a more single-person oriented rpg, were your would not need to plan a party composition in order to play through.

I actually think Dragon Age 2 is a good game, sarcastic Hawke is so awesome that it doesn't matter it's all set in about 3 locations.

The companion stuff in DA2 is pretty good, just hanging about the pub and trying to get Aveline on a date.

nowt

We must remember that sidekicks will join you only if you offer to help them first. So there's a reasonable explanation for following you. You help me, I help you in return ;)

And now... why are we talking about sidekicks ideas (a very interesting topic imo) in the Ydwin fanboy thread? :blink:

Is there a way to transfer our conversations in a relevant thread?

Edited by Sedrefilos

You must remember that sidekicks will join you only if you offer to help them first. So there's a reasonable explanation for following you. You help me, I help you in return ;)

Player: You there, come with me so we can clear a dungeon.

Sidekick: What, who, me, why?

Player: Yeah, it's about time you showed up. Now hurry, we haven't got all day!

Sidekick: But I don't even know who y...

Player: I SAID MOVE YOUR SORRY ASS NOW!

Sidekick: Okay, okay, I'm goin', geez...

• Like 2

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Well, I mean, ideally *every* character should have a reason for joining you. Ideally a good reason--in PoE, for example, Aloth joins you just for the hell of it.

Yes, what the hell? Aloth just tells you his entire life story within moments of meeting. A slight change could have made it much better, he should have invited you in the pub for a drink after saving his arse. Then after having a few beers he divulges his life story and you decide to travel together.

But instead you're just stood on the side of a street and within a few seconds he follows you for eternity.

Edited by daven

nowt

Ideally a good reason--in PoE, for example, Aloth joins you just for the hell of it.

... no he doesn’t. In the conversation with him, you reveal something about yourself, which makes him follow you around as you find out later in the game.

• Like 3

Yeah, as Wormerine pointed out he does have a reason to follow you, he just doesn't tell you then why he is.  What, you took him at his word that he is following you for no reason?  You let strange elves who start fights by calling peasants sister-fookers follow you without wondering if there's something more going on?  Weirdoes...

• Like 5

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Well, I mean, ideally *every* character should have a reason for joining you. Ideally a good reason--in PoE, for example, Aloth joins you just for the hell of it.

Yes, what the hell? Aloth just tells you his entire life story within moments of meeting.

Yeah I remember how 10 minutes after meeting me he told me about how he was a leaden key member, and following me because I was one of "those types" the leaden key likes to spy on and manipulate.  Oh wait, my bad, he didn't tell me about any of that until I was half way through the game.

• Like 4

It doesn't matter that he had a reason to tail you later, he had no reason to join you *at the time*. The actual text has him joining you because you're off to see a watcher, and he wants to meet with a watcher, ignoring the fact that you *are* a watcher. It's handled very clumsily, and the "twist" later on doesn't change that.

Compare that to Yoshimo, another character who infiltrates the party as a spy. He actually has a good reason to join the party: you're in the middle of a deadly dungeon, and are more likely to survive if you work together. 

Aloth is much more like, well, all of the Baldur's Gate NPCs that weren't named Imoen, Jaheira or Khalid. Just some random mook you see on the road who decides to join you, just for the hell of it.

And now... why are we talking about sidekicks ideas (a very interesting topic imo) in the Ydwin fanboy thread? :blink:

Well... I'll tellll youuuuuu *begins singing -- background singers rhythmically sing "He's GOING to tell, he's GOING to tell!"* :)

*ahem*. You see, the entire thread is about Ydwin returning in the expansion as a full-blown companion. Thus, the idea of sidekicks becoming full-blown companions came into question. Then, the question of "wait, why are sidekicks with you the whole time, then, but still just much more silent and less tied into the story than companions?". And thusly did the ideas as to why a sidekick might be merely a sidekick in this game, then a full-blown companion in the expansion, come about.

It's all actually deceptively relevant. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I

It doesn't matter that he had a reason to tail you later, he had no reason to join you *at the time*. The actual text has him joining you because you're off to see a watcher, and he wants to meet with a watcher, ignoring the fact that you *are* a watcher. It's handled very clumsily, and the "twist" later on doesn't change that.

Again... not really. You meet Aloth, he has some troubles with locals. Situation in the town is pretty bad, ruler of the land is kinda crazy and possibly dangerous, none of you have where to stay. Considering you are both outsiders it makes sense to travel further together. It is a wild land, with dangerous creatures roaming around, traveling in a a pack seems safer (also now can come back and kill those motherf***ing bears). The same way Eder joining you seems sensible considering the situation. I did feel some people joining you later on were a bit dodgy (Pallegina, Harvaias) but Aloth seemed solid especially when he fully reveals his story.

Considering that Aloth’s hidden agenda doesn’t come as a plot twist in a way Yoshimo’s did I think making him seem a bit dodgy is a good thing. I was suspicious of him, his personal soul problems did put me an ease only to later reveal that yeah, there was something more going on. Sometimes foreshadowing is more engaging than going “TADAA” with an unexciting reveal.

• Like 3

Compare that to Yoshimo, another character who infiltrates the party as a spy. He actually has a good reason to join the party: you're in the middle of a deadly dungeon, and are more likely to survive if you work together. 

Aloth is much more like, well, all of the Baldur's Gate NPCs that weren't named Imoen, Jaheira or Khalid. Just some random mook you see on the road who decides to join you, just for the hell of it.

Err, you're mixing him up with Eder there.  We are talking about Aloth, who joins because he is currently working for the Leaden Key and knows you are involved which he doesn't tell you at the time, he merely states that he doesn't want to travel alone and considering that you both need to leave town a companion for the road isn't that strange a thing in those times. 

Yoshimo really doesn't work if you look into it in detail, but I won't bother doing so here as it is irrelevant to the discussion.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I suspect that if you have have the expansion they will become a full blown companion in the main game as well. Right?

Josh stated that it might be possible for some sidekicks (the question asked was. of course, regarding Ydwin) to be turned into full companions. Whenever it will happen at all remains to be seen. In one Q&A they said that they have no plans for DLCs yet and they will focus on base game first and see what they come up with later. In other words: it's all up in the air.

I suspect that if you have have the expansion they will become a full blown companion in the main game as well. Right?

Possibly. Also, it depends on what you mean. if the expansion "attaches" to the main game (provides additional stuff to explore, but not necessarily AFTER the main game's campaign... just kind of whenever), then yes, I suppose. You go go "into the expansion," get the character, then go back to the main game's content and use the full-blown companion. However, unless they just happen to re-write all the existing sidekick interactions (or lack there-of), the character is just going to be strangely underdeveloped in all the main game content, then miraculously super well-developed in all of the extra content. That's kind of the weird disconnect people are afraid of. "This person's been traveling with me for the entire game, yet NOW they suddenly care a lot about what all's going on around us."

Not the end of the world. Just strange.

But, they COULD insert lots of character-specific quest arcs and such in a "do them whenever" way. That would be more likely than their rewriting the main game content to actually include the previously-a-sidekick-character's interactions with everything that's going on around them -- interactions which were previously missing.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Sorry didnt follow such long discussion regarding Ydwin. Based on latest portraits revealed, Ydwin looks abit of "trans" woman to me. She got that boyish looks from anime. Is Obsidian following the footsteps of Bioware of "inclusivity" like the failure of Andromeda?

Sorry didnt follow such long discussion regarding Ydwin. Based on latest portraits revealed, Ydwin looks abit of "trans" woman to me. She got that boyish looks from anime. Is Obsidian following the footsteps of Bioware of "inclusivity" like the failure of Andromeda?

Which portrait are you talking about? In the latest one, she looks like a serious no-nonsense Victorian era professor/schoolmarm or what-have-you. The only thing boyish about her is the short hair.

The discussion has been meandering more than a river going along a floodplain, so, only the last few pages probably matter here since Ydwin is going to be in PoE2, not returning in some expansion or whatever the title is referring to.

• Like 1

Jesus

• Like 5

You are an i.....

Edited by Gorgon