Ydwin to return in the expansion?

We don't know that we will still have the concelhaut's skull thing (doubt it), but yes, I see your point.

It could also be like, 'level 16 is the new level 1'.

Every game that has sequels or chain points in the story has to deal with this and I'm sure it's awkward every time. It's how the devs deal with it that makes the difference.

We don't know that we will still have the concelhaut's skull thing (doubt it), but yes, I see your point.

Every game that has sequels or chain points in the story has to deal with this and I'm sure it's awkward every time. It's how the devs deal with it that makes the difference.

Fair enough, although Sawyer did say something about there being "further developments" with the phylactery. And you're right, it's all about how the devs deal with it, I just personally feel that it almost always works better narratively if there's at least some sort of explanation, if there's *something* in place to provide a reason. I can work without it, I've played a hell of a lot of games, but it's a strain on the willing suspension.

Also, this is one reason that I personally would've preferred they more carefully control the level in PoE 1 and the expansion, and release the sequel with a direct import, full level carry over, and simply directly continue everything. That was, of course, the ideal established in BG2, wasn't it? Every game with imports since has pretty much done it the "delevel" way, and I've always felt that's just because it's easier, not because it's better.

• Like 2

This statement seems straightforward enough, but the implications are so absurd that I'd like to confirm: are you suggesting that the power and scope of abilities of the various denizens of the Deadfire region will reach such stratospheric extremes that the capabilities of a level 16 character from Pillars 1 would appropriately be depicted as the least of them are capable of? That is to say, that any level 1 guard or critter we come across in the new game would be capable of punting around Eyeless, kraken, and radiant spores the way we did in the previous game?

The idea kind of reminds me of the city of Union from the d20 Epic Level Handbook, with its routine patrols consisting of level 20+ guards. Suffice to say I don't think we'll be seeing any of that in Deadfire. If the Huana and the forces colonizing them were that badass, it's hard to imagine how the Dyrwood could have won, let alone maintained, its independence.

• Like 1

I don't want my rpg to loreify game design concerns. Not unless it's some cheeky break th 4th wall sort of thing. But I don't think everyone likes those, since it can be misconstrued as actual lore/canon.

• Like 2

Okay... Offtopicing from talking to a character with an interesting background (Ydwin reminds me of CSI Las Vegas) to a complete discussion of the game. That something interesting

Yeah.

Decided to not pick the game later and get it at day one. First, because people had said that I like Ydwin because of "Self-Love-Things" when it's because I love CSI and I hope that if she's a follower in the expansion, Her questline is like the investigations from CSI - Hard Case with the protagonist as her partner. and second because I want to see the Create a Story part of Character Creation. Hope it's really interesting

• Like 4

Fair enough, although Sawyer did say something about there being "further developments" with the phylactery. And you're right, it's all about how the devs deal with it, I just personally feel that it almost always works better narratively if there's at least some sort of explanation, if there's *something* in place to provide a reason. I can work without it, I've played a hell of a lot of games, but it's a strain on the willing suspension.

Also, this is one reason that I personally would've preferred they more carefully control the level in PoE 1 and the expansion, and release the sequel with a direct import, full level carry over, and simply directly continue everything. That was, of course, the ideal established in BG2, wasn't it? Every game with imports since has pretty much done it the "delevel" way, and I've always felt that's just because it's easier, not because it's better.

Yes, BG did handle it very well, though it did hurt BG1 if we think on it as a standalone title. 7 or 8 lvls isn't much, and from what I remember that was lvl cap. However, going into BG2 was super satisfying as from a get go you could dominate low level mob and challenges you would encounter would fit for you level and rank gameplay and story wise. We also did see it backfire in Throne of Bhaal. Your character was so powerful already it was difficult to think of enemies which could believably challenge you. As the result I found it much less compelling.

I just like when levelling system is a way to express the world - competence and power of its inhabitants. That is why I don't like level scaling. Gothic did it right. Sure, you could find Shadowbeast and get murdered at lvl1, but thanks to that, it was satisfying to kill one much later in the game. You would get bullied by higher NPCs early on, only to be able to fight back later.

• Like 1

DM mode: like four butterflies, our heroes emerge from a mysterious chrysalis state some time after being summoned to the site against their will. They find themselves in excellent health, but oddly enfeebled as if completely drained of power and experience.

• Like 3

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I think the fact that this character is not among the rooster of companions in the first place, is proof that "fun" is not really a priority for this game. The rest of the characters seem too nuanced, too serious.Where are the exageratted characters, the sexy characters, the goofy characters, those that are not so deep, but plain old fun? This is a game after all.

Honestly, the fact that this character is getting so much attention should be proof enough, that there should be balance between depth and fun. It cannot always all be so serious.

What is supposed to be not serious about Ydwin? She looks to me pretty much like every other character personality wise. Ydwin looks maybe cuter than other characters, but that does not mean she will be particularly "fun".

• Like 3

I think the fact that this character is not among the rooster of companions in the first place, is proof that "fun" is not really a priority for this game. The rest of the characters seem too nuanced, too serious.Where are the exageratted characters, the sexy characters, the goofy characters, those that are not so deep, but plain old fun? This is a game after all.

Honestly, the fact that this character is getting so much attention should be proof enough, that there should be balance between depth and fun. It cannot always all be so serious.

Let me ask you something, are there any of those exaggerated, sexy, and/or goofy characters in PoE1? Appearance wise, it doesn't seem like it, but that's where personality comes in.

I think the fact that this character is not among the rooster of companions in the first place, is proof that "fun" is not really a priority for this game. The rest of the characters seem too nuanced, too serious.

I don't really see how what we've seen of Ydwin's character background/description screams "fun" to a greater extent than, say, Eder or Serafen (or even possibly Aloth during Iselmyr-related hijinks). 

Also, her being expanded as a full companion rather than simply a sidekick would make her all the more at risk of transforming to accommodate the sort of depth and nuance that you seem to take as indications of the game's disinterest in all things "fun".

(...)there should be balance between depth and fun. It cannot always all be so serious.

To address this concern itself a bit more specifically, Sawyer has previously stated (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/119024818?t=45m34s) that one thing they are trying to change from Pillars 1 is to include greater emotional range throughout the game, including the use of humor.

I'm not too concerned since I didn't find Pillars 1 painfully bleak to begin with (and I don't see Obsidian as likely to overshoot in the opposite direction in their efforts to balance things out a bit in terms of mood throughout the story), but I figured it was worth pointing out that Obsidian has demonstrated awareness of this concern as well as an interest in addressing it.

Let me ask you something, are there any of those exaggerated, sexy, and/or goofy characters in PoE1? Appearance wise, it doesn't seem like it, but that's where personality comes in.

We at least had hiravias, though the game was clearly lacking when it comes to sense of humor, even counting him.

What is supposed to be not serious about Ydwin? She looks to me pretty much like every other character personality wise. Ydwin looks maybe cuter than other characters, but that does not mean she will be particularly "fun".

I dont see her as a seriour character at all. A nice looking girl obssessed with death that spends her free time inspecting cadavers.

Seems like a b movie character to me. And that is why i like her.

• Like 1

I think the fact that this character is not among the rooster of companions in the first place, is proof that "fun" is not really a priority for this game. The rest of the characters seem too nuanced, too serious. Where are the exageratted characters, the sexy characters, the goofy characters, those that are not so deep, but plain old fun? This is a game after all.

Games can have serious themes and still be "fun" (as in enjoyable), right? I'm all for goofy games like Red Alert 3, but very few games can pull that off properly. And you can't go from "dead babies" to "goofy/sexy" in one sequel. Better to just have the occasional joke which contrasts against the darker bits.

This character is getting so much attention because she has some slightly anime-ish features (y'know, glasses and a skirt) and anime is a subject that people apparently feel very strongly about one way or the other. Nothing to do with how fun she is (although I'm sure it's fun making silly threads about her).

• Like 3

though the game was clearly lacking when it comes to sense of humor, even counting him.

Did you do Zahuas quest while taking Hiravias with you? That should be humor enough, even for you. All banters were full of fanboy-pleasing-sillyness. What else do you want? For me it was the maximum amount of humor I can take to consider a game serious.

---

We're all doomed

Waves his hand in front of your face: "This is not a game you are looking for"

though the game was clearly lacking when it comes to sense of humor, even counting him.

Did you do Zahuas quest while taking Hiravias with you? That should be humor enough, even for you. All banters were full of fanboy-pleasing-sillyness. What else do you want? For me it was the maximum amount of humor I can take to consider a game serious.

OMG!!! And because of you I have just discovered that Zahua had a quest. The question now is: do I reinstal PoE, reload my save and do the quest, or do I make another full playthough... 

The question now is: do I reinstal PoE, reload my save and do the quest, or do I make another full playthough...

No matter what, you should definitely do it. And you should have Hiravias with you. It's no great thing, but it's old school fun.

• Like 1

---

We're all doomed