Ydwin to return in the expansion?

There is a difference between taking a passenger ship and owning your own. I guess since you are already a party and earn revenue from your hold you basically a lord. Might as well buy a ship I guess.

With the tax income, occasional adventures, and minimal money sink, I'm sure the lord of Caed Nua would be pretty flush with cash. Since it's a Dyrwoodian sloop and not a Vailian (or other group) ship, it seems logical to have bought the ship in the Dyrwood before departing to the Deadfire, either New Heomar (another port city often mentioned ingame) or Defiance Bay.

Edited by smjjames

With the tax income, occasional adventures, and minimal money sink, I'm sure the lord of Caed Nua would be pretty flush with cash.

That's before Eothas wrecked the place, though, and who knows how long the Watcher was out of commission after that happened. 

I suspect the reasoning's along those lines, at least, since it's a convenient excuse for why the Watcher won't be decked out top of the line equipment from the start. I'm not really an advocate for the explanation myself, but it does allow for the possibility of regaining said equipment later on (as opposed to the backlash from Eothas' awakening destroying all magical equipment/devices within the keep's radius or something).

You guys heard about the time that Eothas took over the giant adra statue under Caed Nua and wrecked the place right?

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Wait, we start with the ship?

First, why do we know that. Second, we should get it early but at the end of the prologue.

Yes.

Because they told us (the Stewart makes the necessary arrangements after your keep gets totaled, I'm guessing with the last of whatever wealth you still have)

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I always thought you had to work (do some quests and earn some money) to buy your ship and hire your crew. It would have made more sense if you had to earn it. I thought it was going to be somewhat like a Ys thing where you (the player) get shipwrecked and have no money.

Edit: Also thought you would have to work for it because you'd get to choose which ship to buy. I think it would be weird for you to start the game by making/importing a character and then picking a ship right then and there. Or even owning a ship without a crew or without any money. If the ship is to replace the stronghold, it should be unlocked later in the game.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

One thing I liked about BG2 is starting in the major city and moving out from there. I hope PoE2 dumps us close to whatever the major city is called and we have that as a backdrop instead of some backwoods village or a dumb keep.

Considering we already know the ship is our base, and you start with the ship, I don't see this happening.  Though I suspect getting to the first main city will be much faster than it was in Eternity 1.

I could see the party hitting port at that city after the prologue, perhaps with an Irenicus Lair size path of content before. It certainly would make sense to head straight to that city from Dyrwood and recruit some party members and crew in terms of pacing and narrative.

I wouldn't be surprised if the prologue was set in the Dyrwood, you know, Thus The Journey Begins Chapter.

And then you end up in Neketaka.

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

One thing I liked about BG2 is starting in the major city and moving out from there. I hope PoE2 dumps us close to whatever the major city is called and we have that as a backdrop instead of some backwoods village or a dumb keep.

Considering we already know the ship is our base, and you start with the ship, I don't see this happening.  Though I suspect getting to the first main city will be much faster than it was in Eternity 1.

I could see the party hitting port at that city after the prologue, perhaps with an Irenicus Lair size path of content before. It certainly would make sense to head straight to that city from Dyrwood and recruit some party members and crew in terms of pacing and narrative.

I wouldn't be surprised if the prologue was set in the Dyrwood, you know, Thus The Journey Begins Chapter.

This is pretty much exactly what I'm expecting.

The ship is both stronghold and main form of  transportation throughout the game. You can't wait to get it until halfway through; it's your *main form of transportation throughout the game*.

Now, you get other ships later. Better ships. Bigger, more badass, etc. The Defiant is just the one you *start* with.

• Like 1

The game actually begins just before the final encounter and then flashes back to the first act. Then when you finish that it goes back to the end boss and then some dialog with the big bad then the second act. After that it goes to the final battle and then on to act three which ends right back where you began the game then the final resolution.

Roll credits

I seent it

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

With the tax income, occasional adventures, and minimal money sink, I'm sure the lord of Caed Nua would be pretty flush with cash. Since it's a Dyrwoodian sloop and not a Vailian (or other group) ship, it seems logical to have bought the ship in the Dyrwood before departing to the Deadfire, either New Heomar (another port city often mentioned ingame) or Defiance Bay.

This is pretty much exactly what I'm expecting.

The ship is both stronghold and main form of  transportation throughout the game. You can't wait to get it until halfway through; it's your *main form of transportation throughout the game*.

Now, you get other ships later. Better ships. Bigger, more badass, etc. The Defiant is just the one you *start* with.

Speaking of New Heomar and where you start, I wouldn't mind the prologue being set in or starting off there, even if all we see are the docks or even just a view from our ship.  It was mentioned a fair bit in Pillars, seemed like a rather interesting place yet you never got to go there, kinda intrigued on what it looks like.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

"You start with the ship". After a brief cinematic of Eothas animating the statue and wrecking everything up, sucking your soul and leaving you unconcious and level 1, you wake up in the cellar of your ship on the wrecked courtyard of Caed Nua. You walk out and see the staue-servant just standing there. "What is this?" You ask. "While you were unconcious I arranged for this ship to be brough here. Eothas said he's going to Deadfire Archipelago for wreck-swimming vacations. Go find him there". Without giving it much thought, you go and find Pallegina and Aloth and pull the ship in the sea. Onwards to the Deadfire!

"You start with the ship". After a brief cinematic of Eothas animating the statue and wrecking everything up, sucking your soul and leaving you unconcious and level 1, you wake up in the cellar of your ship on the wrecked courtyard of Caed Nua. You walk out and see the staue-servant just standing there. "What is this?" You ask. "While you were unconcious I arranged for this ship to be brough here. Eothas said he's going to Deadfire Archipelago for wreck-swimming vacations. Go find him there". Without giving it much thought, you go and find Pallegina and Aloth and pull the ship in the sea. Onwards to the Deadfire!

Hey dude this post is total BS.

You go to find Eder before you find the other two.  Aloth and Pallegina alone could never pull the ship to sea.

• Like 2

I am not sure I agree.  From a pacing perspective dropping you in the middle of the biggest city, with the most going on, right at the beginning is actually pretty bad.  There is a reason games like the Elder Scrolls always start in a small village, that tells you how to get to a nearby decent town, that then sort of mentions where the big city is.  You want to ease the player in, you don't want to drop them in the middle of everything immediately.

There is no doubt the pacing of Eternity 1 was bad, and it took too long to get to the main city/technically second town.  But Baldur's Gate 2 really wasn't any better.  Get through a dungeon and poof, here is god knows how many quests, 5+ new party members, tons of stores, more lore and goings on in the first 3 hours than most games have in the first 10, etc etc.  It was content overload.

It would be more ideal if your first landing in deadfire is just a smaller town, that happens to be close to Dyrwood than all the rest, and happens to be a gateway or trading port with light faction presence of multiple types.  This enables you to get your initial faction/region exposure on a small scale, "restock", and get some intel on where you could go within deadfire next.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

I am not sure I agree. From a pacing perspective dropping you in the middle of the biggest city, with the most going on, right at the beginning is actually pretty bad. There is a reason games like the Elder Scrolls always start in a small village, that tells you how to get to a nearby decent town, that then sort of mentions where the big city is. You want to ease the player in, you don't want to drop them in the middle of everything immediately.

There is no doubt the pacing of Eternity 1 was bad, and it took too long to get to the main city/technically second town. But Baldur's Gate 2 really wasn't any better. Get through a dungeon and poof, here is god knows how many quests, 5+ new party members, tons of stores, more lore and goings on in the first 3 hours than most games have in the first 10, etc etc. It was content overload.

It would be more ideal if your first landing in deadfire is just a smaller town, that happens to be close to Dyrwood than all the rest, and happens to be a gateway or trading port with light faction presence of multiple types. This enables you to get your initial faction/region exposure on a small scale, "restock", and get some intel on where you could go within deadfire next.

I don't know, BG2 dropping you in Ankhala worked pretty damn well. I don't mind having a lot to choose from if story accommodates you walking away from the main path. It works especially well, when doing multiple walk throughs as you feel restrictions more when you replay the game. It all depends on how th city is designed. I think they mentioned that the Neketaka will be a sort of a hub, which you will return to often and which will house all the major factions. It would b nice if at first your access in Neketaka was rather limited and it would expand as you get to know factions, and progress the story.

My guess is - you open with a prologue where Caed Nua is destroyed, part of your soul gets sucked into the statue (?), you buy a ship, transfer what's is left of the Steward onto the ship, grab Eder and go to Deadfire. You will probably head directly to a port in Neketaka, or have some additional between content. my guess would be Netkeaka as they said that wanted to open up the game a bit more this time around. Going straight to the main hub and being able to head out in any direction you want does make sense.

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1

Perhaps. As you start out as a firstie, they may want to have some low level adventures first before you reach the big city.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Only problem with grabbing Eder is that in one of his endings, he returns to the Aedyre empire (which is back accross the ocean). Though most people who want him as a companion will most likely do one of the other two endings, Obsidian does have to account for the 'doesn't finish quest' ending.

Only problem with grabbing Eder is that in one of his endings, he returns to the Aedyre empire (which is back accross the ocean). Though most people who want him as a companion will most likely do one of the other two endings, Obsidian does have to account for the 'doesn't finish quest' ending.

Oh, they will.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Interesting. It would make sense for him to join you back in Dyrwood in other two endings though. It is possible that if he traveled to the Aedyre empire he will not join you in Deadfire or he will come on his own regardless. All of the returning companions should have different states depending on how they ended.

• Like 1

It's still possible that Eder could join you, just later. I'm sure there are fast mail carrying ships that carry messages across the sea or some other method of sending messages cross-continent or cross-ocean. So, he could still plausibly join by way of the Watcher sending off a missive, which would take maybe 3-5 months (I think Maneha said or one of her endings said it took three months to get from Dyrwood to Rauatai, though that could have been with favorable winds), and then you get a response just ahead of his arrival somewhere (Neketaka probably) that he is on his way and you meet him up to a month later.

Also, this thread should be renamed to something else as it's kind of become "PoE2 general discussion/speculation" now that we've dropped the whole ydwin thing.