Ydwin to return in the expansion?

15 minutes into the next #Deadfire Q&A Twitch Stream: "Does anyone have any questions that don't deal with Ydwin?"

#GitRekt

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Funnily enough I think the original idea was that the companion who are referencing who was to be rescued was to die, making the whole rescue her plot redundant and quite frankly crap in my opinion (forcing the player to go on a rescue in the first place, only to swipe the goal at the last second and leave you with nothing...)  They changed it quite late when they finally twigged it would have been a rubbish idea, but that is why she barely has any lines once you rescue her.

I think this is plausible. Said companion is much more vorbose in the subsequent expansion.

Yep, she suddenly finds her mouth again in the expansion! :D

*GASP*

Just joking. They are a personal fav of mine, but they are based on D&D 2nd Edition (another personal fav), so you may not like some of the dastardly mechanics such as THAC0. :p The series has been repolished and rereleased by Beamdog and I think they are only $20 each if you want to try them out. Imo, BG II is better than BG.

I used to feel BG2 was better than 1 as well, and without mods or the Beamdog polishing (which was just the applying of aforementioned mods at install with some prettying up, but I digress) it is technically better, but I have since found an appreciation for the first one.  First one had a bit more exploration and a bit less grimness than the second, plus I seem to enjoy lower level adventuring more than high level I find.  Just mho of course, just one I find interesting in how it has changed over the years.

• Like 3

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I used to feel BG2 was better than 1 as well, and without mods or the Beamdog polishing (which was just the applying of aforementioned mods at install with some prettying up, but I digress) it is technically better, but I have since found an appreciation for the first one.  First one had a bit more exploration and a bit less grimness than the second, plus I seem to enjoy lower level adventuring more than high level I find.  Just mho of course, just one I find interesting in how it has changed over the years.

I totally agree with this. Partly I think it has to do with seeing even further technical advancements, that the "half-way steps" to where we are now don't quite impress as much. It's the other meatier content that stands out to me when looking back. It's a similar way to how I view Mass Effect 1 and 2.

I had a thought. For the sake of drama, one of the existing full companions could get a glorious death at a key moment in the campaign. One of the sidekicks could then be elevated to a full companion in the expansion as a fill-in.

What if one of the companions gets kidnapped and players must go rescue them. Then while on their journey, another party member is unmasked to be a traitor and surprise attacks the party! Upon their death it is revealed that an evil cipher placed them under a permanent Whisper of Treason spell, but now you have an extra party slot for the soon-to-be-rescued member. :yes:

Naaaah, such a flimsy idea will never sell :p;)

Funnily enough I think the original idea was that the companion who are referencing who was to be rescued was to die, making the whole rescue her plot redundant and quite frankly crap in my opinion (forcing the player to go on a rescue in the first place, only to swipe the goal at the last second and leave you with nothing...)  They changed it quite late when they finally twigged it would have been a rubbish idea, but that is why she barely has any lines once you rescue her.

Well at least that would have saved us from Imoen Romance mods.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Back in the day, that was a major gripe about BG1 and that they "fixed" for BG2, a lot of wilderness areas where there was little or no content. That was a plus for me, I love wandering the woods and then suddenly running into a ogre, or traveling merchant, or finding a random item hidden in a tree stump.

Edited by darqleo
  • Like 3

bg had a main plot, but it were filled with holes and clichés.  poison iron in mines to create a synthetic shortage?  not gonna once again get into why the whole iron shortage nonsense were pointless when you already got bandits raiding, but another mine with a james bondesque self-destruct feature were serious beyond the pale.  the "exploration" some point to as an advantage o' bg compared to bg2 were, in point of fact, one o' the more criticized aspects o' bg.  particular following totsc, the boardies overwhelming demanded less mowing o' largely empty or repetitive wilderness maps, and more durlag's tower kinda stuff.  we spoke with bioware developers 'bout bg years after the title's initial release, and more than one admitted playing the game five or ten years after the initial release felt like slow death before reaching the city o' baldur's gate.

bioware's first d&d title had many flaws folks inexplicable wanna ignore. a never ending flood o' mindless fed-ex quests.  poor developed characters. companions with nothing to speak to quality save a catchphrase and the contents o' their character record sheet.  shallow tactical challenges made worse by a few overwhelming powerful abilities, spells and items.  etc.  bg were not a particular good game.  it had the advantage o' being the best d&d crpg for many years, which weren't saying a whole lot.  also, for many people, bg were a welcome alternative to the action-rpg diablo clones which were then flooding the market. 

folks frequent see qualities in bg which did not exist, or would not have existed save for bg2.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

In other words, her pose is fine. Her outfit is fine. Her obsession with corpses is... umm... well, I'll get back to you on that one.

She's a cute, skinny, physically capable female character who is morbid, people think is a little off, and is obsessed with studying corpses.

She's not "anime" anything. She's Bones. She is Bones in fantasy tropes. She is Bones *in Eora*.

• Like 4

I don't think Ydwin was designed to appeal to anime fans and I personally don't find her to be that anime. Admittedly I've seen very little anime. Is there really a problem with pointing out the similarities though?

I don't think Ydwin was designed to appeal to anime fans and I personally don't find her to be that anime. Admittedly I've seen very little anime. Is there really a problem with pointing out the similarities though?

No problem with pointing out the similarities...

However, it became an issue to some when people tried to make it relevant/related.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

She's not "anime" anything. She's Bones. She is Bones in fantasy tropes. She is Bones *in Eora*.

That really doesn't make it better.

Maybe for you. I like forensic procedural's a hell of a lot more than I like most modern anime, though.

Maybe for you. I like forensic procedural's a hell of a lot more than I like most modern anime, though.

The forensic stuff is not my problem. Bones is. And the Angel-guy. And the cheap production. And the cheap humor. Basically almost everything about that show except the forensic stuff. Now that I think ybout it: They could have made the forensic stuff a little bit more realistic.

---

We're all doomed

She is the only new female character that is close to being physically atracttive, that should be enough to receive a very warm welcome in this mostly male forum.

If I wanted to ****, I would choose another game.

This ****ing forum tries to ****ing censor the word ****.

Edited by Amentep
Yes it does. Its also in the forum rules not to circumvent the word filter. The forum is supposed to be "all ages" friendly.
  • Like 1

---

We're all doomed

maia is clear the most attractive poe2 companion thus far, regardless o' sex.

265px-Maia_temp_painted.jpg?version=7b37 

'course we ain't seen her shark teeth as yet, so​ there is that.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I suspect there's probably not a few players looking for an Aerie-like experience in PoE2. Ydwin doesn't quite fit the bill, but she's probably closer than the other recruits.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I knew the concern about Ydwin is because people wanted to **** to her. This is sad...

Lol Uh oh...

Don't say that here... there's alotta hardcore anime fans that will deny that hentai is a part of anime lifestyle.

Edited by Amentep

I suspect there's probably not a few players looking for an Aerie-like experience in PoE2. Ydwin doesn't quite fit the bill, but she's probably closer than the other recruits.

People liked Aerie?  :blink:

Yes, there are players that liked Aerie, particularly since she can be romanced. Tastes vary.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

People liked Aerie?  :blink:

Yes, there are players that liked Aerie, particularly since she can be romanced. Tastes vary.

Heh, I know. She wasn't to my taste but my comment was only meant in jest. Each to their own.