Ydwin to return in the expansion?

"Whether it was a joke or not, it got carried on to the point where people disliked Ydwin."

Speak for yourself.

FWIW, I think her background is an interesting one, especially the whole 'on the cutting edge of Forensic Science and a coroner ahead of her time' thing. At least that's how I see it.

After all this meaningless conversation here, if the designers have humour, they should put an "anime mode" along with "big head" mode. It'll will make the eyes in addition to the heads big and change the hair color to blue, pink, purple or green at random.

Hmmm...What makes your comment more meaningful/valid than anyone else's on this thread? Especially when the majority on this thread agree that the anime comparison got annoying and long-winded. Whether it was a joke or not, it got carried on to the point where people disliked Ydwin. Talk about the community unintentionally created negative hype or energy.

I'm only asking because you say "Meaningless" but then don't give a reason why before giving your own thought but it looks like you're one of the ones that wants to force the connection to anime within the world of Pillars. I don't the majority would think it would be funny, I'm sure they think it would be a waste of resources. People who have backed the game wouldn't want there money going to waste on jokes now, would they? ;)

The conversation is meaningless because it turned to a debate of wether Ydwin is anime or not. Well, obviousy it's not because this is Pillars after all but who cares what the influence was? What is the point of debating over this?

• Like 2

After all this meaningless conversation here, if the designers have humour, they should put an "anime mode" along with "big head" mode. It'll will make the eyes in addition to the heads big and change the hair color to blue, pink, purple or green at random.

Hmmm...What makes your comment more meaningful/valid than anyone else's on this thread? Especially when the majority on this thread agree that the anime comparison got annoying and long-winded. Whether it was a joke or not, it got carried on to the point where people disliked Ydwin. Talk about the community unintentionally created negative hype or energy.

I'm only asking because you say "Meaningless" but then don't give a reason why before giving your own thought but it looks like you're one of the ones that wants to force the connection to anime within the world of Pillars. I don't the majority would think it would be funny, I'm sure they think it would be a waste of resources. People who have backed the game wouldn't want there money going to waste on jokes now, would they? ;)

The conversation is meaningless because it turned to a debate of wether Ydwin is anime or not. Well, obviousy it's not because this is Pillars after all but who cares what the influence was? What is the point of debating over this?
Nope.

Some people perceived her as anime. Fact.

Those people became obnoxious boors. Opinion.

Some people got so sick of hearing from the first group that they already have an aversion to the character even though the game is a year away from release. Fact.

There is no point in "debating" about this. If this first group didn't exist, neither would this thread.

• Like 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

"Whether it was a joke or not, it got carried on to the point where people disliked Ydwin."

Speak for yourself.

FWIW, I think her background is an interesting one, especially the whole 'on the cutting edge of Forensic Science and a coroner ahead of her time' thing. At least that's how I see it.

Exactly. I could care less about any anime influence or lack thereof, I find her background interesting and compelling.

Speak for yourself.

Exactly. I could care less about any anime influence or lack thereof, I find her background interesting and compelling.

interesting and compelling? 

am not certain how such a brief character sketch could be "compelling."  at best we understand mild intrigue or equal minor disquiet.  personal, other than the animancy angle, Gromnir is finding reason to be cynical 'bout a "charming" scientist with a death fixation, but as we got so little actual background, am ambivalent... at best.

compelling?  really?

in any event, it should be obvious by now that regardless o' personal pov, many folks see an anime inspiration for ydwin.  for some, such animus is welcome and is reason enough to be resulting in a kinda fixation inspite o' a dearth o' actual information. (e.g. see above.) other folks is seeing the anime coloring o' a poe sidekick/companion as out-of-place or out-of-touch.  egg chair in a room otherwise exhibiting french revival decor?   'course it hardly much matters as to what folks personal see, or do not see in ydwin, 'cause we are all gonna be stuck with largely repetitive ydwin threads for the foreseeable poe2 future.

huzzah.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Interesting" and "Compelling" are code words for "I'm a closeted anime fan". FYI

• Like 1

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

No other character anywhere in PoE / WM wears any kind of eyewear, right? Maybe its the glasses that are throwing an "out of place" vibe?

Galvino wears a monocle and you can buy a monocle from a store.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"Interesting" and "Compelling" are code words for "I'm a closeted anime fan". FYI

Dude. Seriously, I haven't said a word to you in pages and you still can't tear yourself away from the need to **** with me.

Get a realdoll or something.

Edited by Katarack21

Dude. Seriously, I haven't said a word to you in pages and you still can't tear yourself away from the need to **** with me.

Get a realdoll or something.

1) I was responding to Gromnir

2) I thought you made a big show of putting me on your ignore list?

Speaking of which...

I was thinking today, I wonder when people will relate Fury (Darksiders III) to anime (maybe they already have)... Thin, tall, long legs, big boobs, big butt, big eyes. None of that screams "anime" directly (if it does then something is wrong here lol) - since women can possess all these attributes in real life and such but I suppose people out there will relate Fury to anime like they try to relate anime with every other game/character, eh? :/

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

In all honesty, I am a fan of anime, I actually mod a forum for the largest anime streaming site in the United States, I have poked mucho fun at the Great Ydwin Debacle of 2017, and I can tell you there is nothing anime about Ydwin, or any other character in Eternity. 

She has glasses, so what?  She has a skirt..... uh no, she has a leather gambeson that has a cloth padding under it.  She has a rapier and is striking a pose, so is every other weirdo with a rapier in the Deadfire?????  Other than the glasses, if I left out "she" from those descriptions I could have been talking about the three musketeers, or Inigo Montoya.  Are they anime characters too?

If there was a cliche driven character in any game Obsidian has made it would likely be from the Baldur's Gate games, or Alpha Protocol, maybe Neverwinter Nights.  All of which are actually good games in my opinion.  Let people have their fun, no one still on this topic actually thinks she is an "anime trope 23" character.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 4

Ydwin is dope by all accounts. I wanted a pale elf, I wanted an animancer.  Ydwin's premature fandom (which was that one guy who was only interested in the game because of her) and premature detractors (everyone else wasting their time on her design which has not even been shown in it's final 3D in-game incarnation) are beyond vexing.

• Like 2

She's probably old enough to be your grandmother, keeps her three re-animated husbands in her cellar, and collects coprolites for a crap museum.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Speaking of which...

I was thinking today, I wonder when people will relate Fury (Darksiders III) to anime (maybe they already have)... Thin, tall, long legs, big boobs, big butt, big eyes. None of that screams "anime" directly (if it does then something is wrong here lol) - since women can possess all these attributes in real life and such but I suppose people out there will relate Fury to anime like they try to relate anime with every other game/character, eh? :/

Fury in 3, not Strife as was hinted? I blame their new corporate overlords!

IMHO Fury looks pretty Blizzardish.

Vancian =/= per rest.

So far only Fury has been revealed as a playable character, I ~think~ Strife may be revealed as a playable character later.

She does look Blizzardish!!! You're right LOL

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Speaking of which...

Lol I just watched that darksiders 3 trailer for the first time, anyone accusing that thing of being an Anime trope is WELL within their rights.  Cartoony looks, ridiculously proportioned, stupid smirk, highly arrogant condescending dialog/tone, the only box she didn't check was boob plate, but her armor was overly elaborate and goofy looking enough.

Speaking of which...

Lol I just watched that darksiders 3 trailer for the first time, anyone accusing that thing of being an Anime trope is WELL within their rights.  Cartoony looks, ridiculously proportioned, stupid smirk, highly arrogant condescending dialog/tone, the only box she didn't check was boob plate, but her armor was overly elaborate and goofy looking enough.

Literally everything you just stated as "clear anime influence"--cartoony looks, ridiculous proportions, stupid smirk, arrogant dialogue, and also boob plates which Fury doesn't include--is also the tick-box for "how to make a Warhammer 40K Adeptus Sororitas character".

And are you going to tell me that Warhammer 40K is "anime"?

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 3

Speaking of which...

Literally everything you just stated as "clear anime influence"--cartoony looks, ridiculous proportions, stupid smirk, arrogant dialogue, and also boob plates which Fury doesn't include--is also the tick-box for "how to make a Warhammer 40K Adeptus Sororitas character".

And are you going to tell me that Warhammer 40K is "anime"?

we sudden get new character sketch and artwork for a potential companion which is describing a magically created super soldier who mutated unexpected cipher abilities and were constant afeared of possession by demons from an alternate dimension. you might even find the background description o' the tormented cipher to be compelling stuff. have the artwork show a +7' tall human in enormous damaged but highly ornate armour wielding a hammer o' implausible size.

wouldn't matter if you call anime inspired or warhammer librarian knock-off.  in either case, some folks would see as ill-fitting the poe setting. such folks would likely be curious as to why obsidian went in such a curious direction with a poe companion/sidekick.

regardless is not arguable whether numerous folks do see anime influence regarding ydwin. not think such parallels is fair?  moot.  

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Lol I just watched that darksiders 3 trailer for the first time, anyone accusing that thing of being an Anime trope is WELL within their rights. Cartoony looks, ridiculously proportioned, stupid smirk, highly arrogant condescending dialog/tone, the only box she didn't check was boob plate, but her armor was overly elaborate and goofy looking enough.

LOL! So by that definition Nightmare Before Christmas, Harley Quinn (from Batman), Insaniac (from Small Solidiers) and Gex are anime.... Aside those few, there are literally tons of different art styles/character designs out there that feature the very same things you mention but sadly, people only acknowledge anime to having them. As if anime was the first art style to popularize or introduce these things to a general public - it wasn't, anime is just using things currently like everything else so I'd argue that anything is anime-inspred... unless it's a waifu fighter, visual novel/dating sim or Jrpg of course. That's pretty much about it. If we keep going, next Soul Calibur will be anime-inspired because of Ivy and Starfox will be furry inspired :p

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 1

Lol I just watched that darksiders 3 trailer for the first time, anyone accusing that thing of being an Anime trope is WELL within their rights. Cartoony looks, ridiculously proportioned, stupid smirk, highly arrogant condescending dialog/tone, the only box she didn't check was boob plate, but her armor was overly elaborate and goofy looking enough.

LOL! So by that definition Nightmare Before Christmas, Harley Quinn (from Batman), Insaniac (from Small Solidiers) and Gex are anime.... Aside those few, there are literally tons of different art styles/character designs out there that feature the very same things you mention but sadly, people only acknowledge anime to having them. As if anime was the first art style to popularize or introduce these things to a general public - it wasn't, anime is just using things currently like everything else so I'd argue that anything is anime-inspred... unless it's a waifu fighter, visual novel/dating sim or Jrpg of course. That's pretty much about it. If we keep going, next Soul Calibur will be anime-inspired because of Ivy and Starfox will be furry inspired :p

Nice jumping of the shark.

Seriously, she is an anime looking character.  Get over it.  Her eyes are laughably huge, she literally looks like a cartoon, her head is too big, her hair is actually animated for some reason, not to mention huge, her proportions are no where near realistic, and all her dialog confirms she is a walking cliche.  Yes, that is pretty animeish, and all of those features are common in cliche anime heroines.  Well maybe not the weird moving hair thing.

All you are are really noticing is the fact that bad character design is consistent across all cultures, so it is easy to see crappy anime characters in western media, and vice versa.  Also in case you forgot your animation history, the father of American animation Walt Disney was inspired by Osamu Tezuka who made Astro Boy, not the other way around.  I can't even begin to tell you how many "American" cartoon shows I grew up watching were actually anime.  Such as the king of all "American" Kids Cartoon shows, GI Joe. 

If you want a more comprehensive description of what her design is, without any cultural indicators, I can give it to you in one word.  "Crap". 

Also you do realize Soul Caliber is made by Bandai-Namco (or is it Namco-Bandai, I can never remember) right?  A Japanese company, whose original games artists are all definitely Japanese, making characters designed to look like anime characters?  Or did you think this concept art was a Western design?

sieg-soul3art.jpg 

• Like 1