Ydwin to return in the expansion?

At this point I hope they anime PoE up to 11 so I can feast on the butthurt.

It would be hilarious if there was a toggle just like for Big Head Mode. Click a box and BOOM...everyone has glasses and a huge weapon. :lol:

And there's an achievement behind it so if you're a completionist you have to play in anime mode.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I don't hate anime (I play and love anime/waifu fighters) but I think the constant comparison of Ydwin is pretty underwhelming. Even if it started as just a joke, it's been dragged on to be well... a drag on lol However, I wouldn't mind a Jrpg mode... that's what anime mode would really be, basically, right? :p

I imagine "anime mode" as an 8-12 hour short linear side-story hehe Not a bad idea for dlc actually! Ydwin would be a playable character in a village of elven waifus and such. Who knows.

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I find her less anime looking than Pallegina and Hiravias were in PoE 1...

I don't see how they're anime looking. Though I suppose that's your point.

@darqleo: Fan art is something else entirely.... also, sailor suit, wut.

Edited by smjjames
  • Like 1

I don't find them anime looking at all. Anyway, I think they talk about character concept+looks, not looks only.

I didn't like much the looks of her at first, specially because the glasses seemed out of place, but I have to admit that the excessive enthusiasm of some people got to me. The infamous post, someone asking to remove Pallegina for Ydwin, among other things when so little was known of her it's, what I suppose, created the backlash, at least for me.

She's not even going to be a full companion so I don't care much right now, I just wish people could get over her. It's too soon to talk about what we want to see in the expansion. What I liked about both White March is that they improved some things I found lacking on the base game, so I think the best course of action is to talk about the expansion once we have finished the game.

• Like 2

I don't see how they're anime looking. Though I suppose that's your point.

@darqleo: Fan art is something else entirely.... also, sailor suit, wut.

Hiravias is literally a gender flipped dirty cat girl.

• Like 2

Hello fellow forumers,

I don't think Ydwin isn't the problem here, never was lol It's the ever growing argument that started out as a harmless joke and somehow snowballed into an Obsidian version of a Civil War :p I don't think Ydwin was ever meant to cause this kind of ruckus - at least not like this! However, it only takes one person to say "Ydwin is Anime" to create some kind of chain reaction as we have a mixed bag of emotions from passionate people with different tastes.

My opinion:

I find it's a strange side-affect with anime fans these days. They tend to try to relate everything to anime in some form or another. YouTube is a great example of this. I was watching the new Mummy trailer and couldn't help to look at the top comments, there was on that said "Tom Cruises' scream was so anime!" And it had an insane amount of likes. I'm not sure how a scream can be "Anime" but okay.

To that fashion, in some way, I'm strangely reminded of the situation of a bad breakup with a girl/boy, after the breakup you begin to see that person in movies, music, hell even billboards, even though they're not related to the person you broke up with in any shape and form, you, as a person, make yourself see that person in things - point being that people can make everything relevant something else if they so desire... and then argue it with "Well that's how I see it" or "It's my opinion".

The anime audience is still very niche (unless you live in Japan that is) but they are very vocal making them appear as a much larger group. Making everything related to anime might be some way of making their voice get heard or something along those lines. Like the Steam reviews for a new localized game that reads "Buy this game to support localization of this company so we can get more anime visual novels, jrpg, dating sims on Steam". I guess people will always push what they love, even if they do it innocently (unaware).

Please don't hurt me!

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Fans can do whatever the heck they want with fanart, but it's not fanart we're discussing here (or anybody actually cares about). The discussion is on a dev made concept art of the character.

Seeing a screenshot or whatever of the character ingame might settle things.

• Like 1

Well if were being honest, theres no way players will even see the glasses, or pixie haircut, or slightly shorter skirt, or whatever...because the perspective wont allow it and isn't that detailed. You will be able to notice on the character portrait but that's only a bust. So, much ado about nothing.

Also, Ydwins shirt+skirt isn't actually all that different in shape to the Royal Deadfire Company clothing: (links until i figure out how to get the image extension to work, keeps saying 'image extension not allowed in the community'

https://fig-images.imgix.net/https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2Ff0bee78834608247df8bb93d5bb502d1f8afdd10%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1491268075?ixlib=rails-2.1.3&w=570&fit=min&auto=format%2Ccompress&s=29c4c21ddd301fb9530b3bf3163ab45a

https://fig-images.imgix.net/https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2F1036d94899008cb8%2Fa574a0d08e775d05%2Fa86b28a07eba25f7%2Faab83b1132f70521?ixlib=rails-2.1.3&w=570&fit=min&auto=format%2Ccompress&s=b64672c1ebbc55f4f6b091178febc31a

Not to mention that we'll likely be able to change the equipment of the sidekicks, so, it kind of makes the whole discussion rather moot doesn't it?

Well, if were being honest, theres no way players will even see the glasses, or pixie haircut, or slightly shorter skirt, or whatever...because the perspective wont allow it and isn't that detailed. You will be able to notice on the character portrait but that's only a bust. So, much ado about nothing.

Good point on that actually.

Edited by smjjames

We are all anime on this fine day.

You shut up, you!!!! -_-

I don't think Obsidian intended Ydwin to be percieved the way that she was, by some. Nor do I expect that they will (or should) make accommodations for this; people are gonna see what they wanna see and there's no point in trying to account for that.

As Rorschach stated above, she isn't even going to be a companion. With any luck, the bellyaching (see OP) will subside with time.

• Like 3

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I don't think Obsidian intended Ydwin to be percieved the way that she was, by some. Nor do I expect that they will (or should) make accommodations for this; people are gonna see what they wanna see and there's no point in trying to account for that.

As Rorschach stated above, she isn't even going to be a companion. With any luck, the bellyaching (see OP) will subside with time.

am expecting the "bellyaching" will be intermittent but noticeable 'tween now and at least six months following a possible expansion.  some folks will continue to lobby for ydwin inclusion in the base game.  some will discuss possible changes to ydwin in spite o' the extreme paucity o' info we got regarding her.  some will wanna discuss ydwin inclusion in the expansion.  some will wanna discuss how poorly/excellent were the ydwin inclusion in the base game and why such failure/success should influence the possible inclusion o' the character in an expansion.  some will wanna discuss how adding a lab coat to the the pale goth-girl with glasses in short skirts fixated 'pon death needs a lab coat to highlight her scientist profession... and perhaps a penguin pet. etc. 'course whenever ydwin becomes a topic, some will rush to defend and some will gripe.  

HA! Good Fun

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Some will wanna discuss how adding a lab coat to the the pale goth-girl with glasses in short skirts fixated 'pon death needs a lab coat to highlight her scientist profession... and perhaps a penguin pet. etc. 'course whenever ydwin becomes a topic, some will rush to defend and some will gripe.  

HA! Good Fun

Yeah, I laugh whenever people associate these articles of clothing, style or pets to anime. As if they didn't exist before anime or as if anime culture somehow made them popular or brought them back - it didn't in any way.

Sailor Moon has cats, therefore everything with cats must be inspired by anime. A new catholic school opened and the girls wear uniforms with ties and skirts - must be anime. A guy spikes his hair, must be anime! The list goes on as such but as said before people will relate things to things to like or favor, perhaps it is because they simply cannot grasp the idea of something different so forcing something familiar is the only option. For ex. "I hate my life, so I'll inject something I love into everything I can so I'll get a little ray of sunshine" mentality.

Kind of a strange approach to relating to the world around them though. I mean, anime isn't real and is based off up of existing fictional/non-fictional ideals (magic, fantasy, fighting, etc) but yet in the person's mind everything is based of anime. We are living in the "reversed mindset" generation. They're giving credit to the wrong thing. Anime has never introduced anything new, it hasn't revolutionized any industry by any means but someone out there will act like anime is god because.

Indeed it is good fun though, as long as nobody gets offended :)

I'll point out. That. Three-Dimensional models. Do not look like. Two-dimensional drawings. And. Pillars of Eternity. Is not done in a Three-dimension. Anime. Style.

So...

We can conclude.

That.

Obsidian will ruin their artistic direction by putting in a 3D anime styled character into the game. Curse you Ydwin!!!

Good night~ :cat:

Well... Thank God we'll never see Ys or Final Fantasy-esque charaters in Pillars Of Eternity. No matter who tries to tell me different, my mind can be at ease with that!

Must say as someone who many years ago studied fine art and design I seriously don't see any relation to anime in the devs work. In fact The Obs illustrators who are pretty darn good, have a very specific style of their own. Beyond the fact that in anime and the devs style, figures generally have 2 eyes, one nose, 2 arms and legs.... that's really the extent of overlap. I dont really have a bone to grind either, if people like anime that's really up to them. Makes zero difference to me. What I do want though, is for Obs to continue in the direction they are moving art wise. Wherever their inspiration comes from it works for me.

• Like 7

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I think "does the character look animie" or not is a red herring.

Do the spectacles make sense is the real question. Certainly people who could afford them would have worn spectacles in the high renaissance period that PoE is taking it's inspiration from. However, they would only have been used for reading, not for distance vision.

The other question is, if we could have had an additional full companion, would we have wanted this one? I would have to say no, on account of she isn't a dwarf.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

After all this meaningless conversation here, if the designers have humour, they should put an "anime mode" along with "big head" mode. It'll will make the eyes in addition to the heads big and change the hair color to blue, pink, purple or green at random.

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 4

After all this meaningless conversation here, if the designers have humour, they should put an "anime mode" along with "big head" mode. It'll will make the eyes in addition to the heads big and change the hair color to blue, pink, purple or green at random.

Hmmm...What makes your comment more meaningful/valid than anyone else's on this thread? Especially when the majority on this thread agree that the anime comparison got annoying and long-winded. Whether it was a joke or not, it got carried on to the point where people disliked Ydwin. Talk about the community unintentionally created negative hype or energy.

I'm only asking because you say "Meaningless" but then don't give a reason why before giving your own thought but it looks like you're one of the ones that wants to force the connection to anime within the world of Pillars. I don't the majority would think it would be funny, I'm sure they think it would be a waste of resources. People who have backed the game wouldn't want there money going to waste on jokes now, would they? ;)

Too complex and a waste of resources.

Anime mode should be much simpler, once enabled it makes all armor look like a Japanese girls school uniform.  Yes, even the armor on men.

• Like 3