Ydwin to return in the expansion?

Is it just the eye glasses that you guys don't like or would ANY eyewear harsh your verisimilitude? Whats the community position on eye patches?

It's not any one thing, it's the combination of pixie haircut, elf ears, spectacles, and short skirt.

don't forget "pale girl"

The only thing missing is a stereotypically Emo personality. :p

• Like 1

Is it just the eye glasses that you guys don't like or would ANY eyewear harsh your verisimilitude? Whats the community position on eye patches?

It's not any one thing, it's the combination of pixie haircut, elf ears, spectacles, and short skirt.

don't forget "pale girl"

The only thing missing is a stereotypically Emo personality. :p

lmao

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

If a piece of concept art came out and the character had an eyepatch and there was suddenly an obnoxious outpouring of pirate-girl fanboys, I would probably start to hate that character after a while also.

This is hilarious to me. :lol:

am actual sympathizing.  initially, bio romances bothered Gromnir only in the abstract. bio romances, being optional and tangential, could simple be ignored.  wasted resources? *shrug* no biggie. the increasing numerous and vocal promancers, on the other hand, were a blight 'pon the bio boards. the inability to romance bethany hawke in da2 were serious debated?  our initial indifference towards bio romances were indeed colored by the vocal proponents o' bio romances. 

sports metaphors don't do well in this place or we woulda' used boston red sox or dallas cowboy fans to illustrate.

HA! Good Fun!

ps the cowboys bit were included 'cause gifted is reading. mostly kidding.  mostly.

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The short skirt is a good point. It doesn't quite fit in with the normal renaissance era attire.

Maybe she needs some interesting tattoos to throw off the anime scent? :)

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I absolutely love eyepatches on female characters... not sure why, I have been amazed by them for years now. Only on girls though lol

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Congratulations?

It's not funny to you that your opinion gets altered by those of other people?

Did you just chime in with "this is hilarious to me" so that you could try to come off as above it all?

Is that a greater or lesser failure of character than occasionally succumbing to annoyance? Please tell me because I really do care about what you think.

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Maybe she needs some interesting tattoos to throw off the anime scent?

I dunno. There are tattooed girls in anime, though usually not fitting her "type", I guess.

I think it'd be simpler and more decisive results-wise to just shave her bald. There are bald anime girls too, of course, but they're hardly iconic; also, it fits in with the whole "creepy, death-obsessed animancer" characterization.

Or turn her into a Vailian woman with an afro. That'd also work. (edit: though we already have Pallegina...)

Edited by blotter
  • Like 1

"Fictional worlds aren't real, and are eternally mutable by creators. The only part that does exist is the finished text and the idea that it represents. Writers routinely alter "the rules" to suit their interests and the needs of their story. So in the world outside the diegesis, in "our world", only the implications and impact of that fiction actually matter."

And the implication and impact this work of fiction has inadvertently had? :(

The backlash against this perceived "weeaboo" fetishization is imo about whose fetishes are "more normal"--or really, "more better." It's an ongoing and hostile exchange, between adults, about how a doll should be dressed and how she should behave. Bonus points if it's "historically accurate!" This remains the appeal. Though in defense of the concepts of "weeaboo" and "fan-service", these are at least *mindful* of that appeal. 

I wonder about Ydwin's debut. Full companion or not. I think it will be difficult for anyone who has been following Deadfire's development this far to be able to see her with fresh eyes. As was intended. I liked the concept. I liked the concept illustration. I liked those two things even more as a "sum of it's parts."

HYPE for Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire! <3 

tl;dr: search for "Pillars of Eternity, Edér" on tumblr

Edited by darknessest

Congratulations?

Did you just chime in with "this is hilarious to me" so that you could try to come off as above it all?

Is that a greater or lesser failure of character than occasionally succumbing to annoyance? Please tell me because I really do care about what you think.

Hey, I HAVE to read the boards. You can choose what to ignore and still can't deal with it. To answer your question, it's hilarious how much your failure is greater than mine. :)

If you actually go back to the Pillars 1 Kickstarter posts and look at the Vaillian Republics outfits, what Ydwin is wearing isn't far off. It's not out of place at all; it's just out of place *for the Dyrwood*. It fit's right in with her established background and place of origin.

Can I just clarify the point we are at with this discussion?  Are we no arguing about what it is people are arguing about regarding Ydwin?  Not criticising, just trying to make sure I have it right.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Well, the discussion regarding Ydwin is that some people said "this reminds me of anime" and other people went "but I hate everything that's ever been in anime, so you pointing this out has ruined it". There is nothing more to it. :lol:

Congratulations?

Hey, I HAVE to read the boards. You can choose what to ignore and still can't deal with it. To answer your question, it's hilarious how much your failure is greater than mine. :)

At first, I thought you only answered one of the questions, but upon further reflection, I guess you really did answer both. :)

Well, the discussion regarding Ydwin is that some people said "this reminds me of anime" and other people went "but I hate everything that's ever been in anime, so you pointing this out has ruined it". There is nothing more to it. :lol:

You forgot the part where a bunch of anime fans tried to act like their fandom had nothing to do with anime. Pretty sure 80% of this thread is related to that.

• Like 1

At first I thought this was an anime problem, too. But it isn't. What reminded me of anime was this: Everyone of the new companions is medium age, medium attractive and not too edgy overall. Like in an anime, action movie or your average RPG. Identification figures for the fanboys/girls. Ydwin just makes it obvious, that's why she receives that much hate.
Why does she even have to look good? She could look like this scarred dwarf in Concelhauts tower. I really liked her (Sadly I had to kill her. If I really could have chosen sides, I would have picked hers.).

I tell you why: Because than she would not have a fanclub. All this people posting about wanting to find out more about animancy, wanting to have a "darker" companion and stuff. Would they be that hyped if she was a scarred dwarf? No "OMG my soul is so scarred, because my body is"-dwarf with a whiny background story. Just a scarred dwarf that does not care about anything but animancy. I don't think so.

P.S.: Is scarred the right word for someone who has scars?

Edited by Lord_Mord

---

We're all doomed

Aloth may be 'senior' for a human (he's apparently 62), but on the lifespan of a typical elf, whch is 200-300 years, he's closer to the human equivalent of being in the 20's, maybe early 30's.

Also, Xoti looks younger than middle aged, 30's maybe. And Ydwin, being an elf, could be older than Aloth for all we know.

Edited by smjjames
  • Like 1

At first I thought this was an anime problem, too. But it isn't. What reminded me of anime was this: Everyone of the new companions is medium age, medium attractive and not too edgy overall. Like in an anime, action movie or your average RPG.

There's a natural selection process at work. Athletic people tend to be more physically attractive due to symmetry. Adventurers tend to not be old due to attrition.

http://www.today.com/health/why-good-athletes-are-good-looking-too-2D12054705

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

At this point I hope they anime PoE up to 11 so I can feast on the butthurt.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

At this point I hope they anime PoE up to 11 so I can feast on the butthurt.

This is exactly how many of us felt as it became increasingly apparent that we weren't going to hit $5m ;)

I didn't say middle aged. I said medium aged. In my definition that means old/young enough to be cute and admirable. In the case of Eder more the older brother type in the case of Aloth more the cute boy about your age type. In the case of Ydwin more the gothic schoolgirl type.

---

We're all doomed