Ydwin to return in the expansion?

The OP didn't have to (do either of those things).

Edit: let me give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you only post around here. This Ydwin nonsense has been going on for weeks over on Fig. It's showing up here now because the stretch goals are over and Obsidian folks have pretty much stopped posting in the comments.

Edit2: Shame on me. I just did a forum search for "Ydwin" and learned that this nonsense has been going on here as well. Funny to see her referred to as "the anime girl" in other threads while people obstinately declare that "no one" is making that connection.

I'm new to the PoE community, yes, so I was unaware of the whole thing going on for weeks on Fig, though I got hints that it had been going on for some time.

I suppose it's people seeing her referred to as 'the anime girl' while at the same time, having no clue as to why she got referred to as such. Something that just took a life of it's own.

I'm pretty sure we can change the equipment of our sidekicks (well, I assume we can anyway, until we find out otherwise), so, we can easily change whatever she is wearing.

And as Gfted1 said, time to steer it back to ontopic, whatever it is.

Edited by smjjames

Regarding the last part, sorry to hear that you find "slick" so offensive, cool guy. I can definitely see why that would be so much more upsetting than, say, lying.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/92464-ydwin-to-return-in-the-expansion/page-6?do=findComment&comment=1909431 This wasn’t “slick,” but if you feel like being dishonest, fine.

Pillars of Bugothas

Wow that's deep, man. I get you though. Just think: PoE wouldn't exist if Obisidian didn't exist. And Obsidian wouldn't exist, if California didn't. And California wouldn't exist if the United States didn't. So really, this is all George Washington's fault.

As for me, I don't have a problem. In fact, just as soon as people stop responding to my posts with stupid things, I'll probably stop looking at this thread.

Regarding the last part, sorry to hear that you find "slick" so offensive, cool guy. I can definitely see why that would be so much more upsetting than, say, lying.

How about we steer this thread back on topic and everyone take their internet slapfight to PM. Please. :thumbsup:

Agree with Gfted, and since "stupid" is an opinion and someone could just call "stupid" anything (like, everything that someone disagree with), i think the solution is evident.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/92464-ydwin-to-return-in-the-expansion/page-6?do=findComment&comment=1909431 This wasn’t “slick,” but if you feel like being dishonest, fine.

*sigh*

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Far be it from me to dissuade anyone from their impressions of a piece of art or discussions thereof, but it may be useful to know just wearing a slightly modified vailian npc outfit.

Since you're here can you confirm that Xoti still has her sickle and shield lantern and that the last comment made on Fig officially about her dual wielding scythes was a mistake? Thanks in advance.

Edited by darqleo

Far be it from me to dissuade anyone from their impressions of a piece of art or discussions thereof, but it may be useful to know just wearing a slightly modified vailian npc outfit.

To be honest, I thought the glasses looked out of place, but decided to reserve judgement until the game came out. That the entirety of my first impression.

Then the anime fans started posting...

What's the old quote? "I like your Christ. I do not like your christians."

Edited by Achilles
  • Like 2

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Since you're here can you confirm that Xoti still has her sickle and shield lantern and that the last comment made on Fig officially about her dual wielding scythes was a mistake? Thanks in advance.

She does not and to my knowledge was never intended to dual wield scythes

• Like 4

so, did actual modify... and add glasses to the white haired elf with a death fixation?  yeah, is a puzzle trying to figure out why the anime fans globbed onto ydwin so fast and tenacious. 

to be fair, given the supplied art, am doubting anybody genuine thought there were a possibility o' xoti dual-wielding scythes save for the hand scythe/sickle already seen.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Eye patches would be great for Deadfire! Come to think of it a wooden peg leg and maybe a parrot animal companion would work as well.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Is it just the eye glasses that you guys don't like or would ANY eyewear harsh your verisimilitude? Whats the community position on eye patches?

Eyeglasses have been around since the 13th century. It's hardly breaking verisimilitude to include them in a renaissance era civilization.

• Like 5

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

If a piece of concept art came out and the character had an eyepatch and there was suddenly an obnoxious outpouring of pirate-girl fanboys, I would probably start to hate that character after a while also.

With respect Gfted1, it seems you jumped in at the end of the conversation and maybe don't have the full picture. No one has a problem with Ydwin having glasses.

Edited by Achilles

oh but in my playthrough, Xoti will go berserker in my team with a Akimbo Sickles

Is it just the eye glasses that you guys don't like or would ANY eyewear harsh your verisimilitude? Whats the community position on eye patches?

well, if we were talking 'bout an eyepatch wearing longbowman, we would indeed have questions.

if eder sudden became a steampunk inspired tank with clockwork armour and glasses such as the following

ben-gates-glasses.png,

then yeah, we would have criticism on multiple levels. out of place... and stoopid.

sure, the idea o' a melee combatant beyond the door o' the fencing salon or kendo dojo wearing glasses is ridiculous.  whether is boxing or sword fighting or wrestling or kids beating on each other with broom handles and trash can lids, folks in close-quarters combat tend to end up rolling 'round in the dirt and mud. glasses is gonna be dislodged. glasses is gonna be fouled with dirt, mud, blood, saliva and rain. glasses, particular the ones made o' genuine glass and thin metal frames is gonna break when exposed to predictable treatment a melee combatant would endure regular.  worry 'bout getting broken glass in eyes is a negligible concern, but keeping glasses in working condition and clean enough not to be a hinderance is just... silly.  but so what?  is loads o' silly stuff in crpgs.  impractical and improbable is the norm.  the problem is as shady observed: the ydwin concept art (which includes glasses) is "out of place."  

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

With respect Gfted1, it seems you jumped in at the end of the conversation and maybe don't have the full picture. No one has a problem with Ydwin having glasses.

I do a lot of silent reading. :lol:

Some people are objecting to the concept art, and to me, the only really noticeable difference is that this NPC is the sole NPC in the game to be wearing glasses (did any random villagers/shopkeeper/bartenders wear glasses in PoE1?) so I was wondering if that was the real trigger.

I do a lot of silent reading. :lol:

Some people are objecting to the concept art, and to me, the only really noticeable difference is that this NPC is the sole NPC in the game to be wearing glasses (did any random villagers/shopkeeper/bartenders wear glasses in PoE1?) so I was wondering if that was the real trigger.

Fair enough. I haven't seen those posts, but it seems that you have.

FWIW, I think Fultano had specs, too, but I may be mistaken.

To be honest, I thought the glasses looked out of place, but decided to reserve judgement until the game came out. That the entirety of my first impression.

Then the anime fans started posting...

What's the old quote? "I like your Christ. I do not like your christians."

I don't care about the glasses, they're fine for me. There's at least one character who does wear glasses, one of the animancers maybe or the head of the library/temple of wael in Defiance Bay.

FWIW, I think Fultano had specs, too, but I may be mistaken.

Galvino wore a monocle similar to the one you can buy in Defiance Bay. I don't remember any characters who had portraits wearing glasses in Pillars 1, but I can't rule out the possibility an npc having something like that equipped or included in a textual description (though I'm pretty sure it isn't the head priestess of the temple of Wael; I'd have remembered a bespectacled female dwarf in robes).

• Like 1

Fair enough. I haven't seen those posts, but it seems that you have.

Oh, well heres one. :p

So it must come down to the slightly modified Vailian outfit. Interesting.

The first thing that spring to mind for me wrt "anime" is oversize weapon and armor.

That's "objecting"? Good thing you added that emoji or else I might've thunk you were actually being serious.

And (again), it doesn't matter what you or I would have considered flags. The reality is that a slew of other people did...and haven't shut up since. Both of these threads were started within 24 hours of the Ydwin concept art reveal:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91921-which-new-sidekick-will-replace-anime-girl/?fromsearch=1

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91855-is-ydwin-yandere-or-tsundere/?fromsearch=1

Are we finished acting like this isn't a thing now?

Correction: the first link was created 3 days after. Apologies.

Edited by Achilles
  • Like 1

It's not any one thing, it's the combination of pixie haircut, elf ears, spectacles, and short skirt. 

• Like 4

It's not any one thing, it's the combination of pixie haircut, elf ears, spectacles, and short skirt.

don't forget "pale girl"

If a piece of concept art came out and the character had an eyepatch and there was suddenly an obnoxious outpouring of pirate-girl fanboys, I would probably start to hate that character after a while also.

This is hilarious to me. :lol: