Ydwin to return in the expansion?

Right. Better hope no one remembers what transpired a couple pages ago.

Edited by Achilles

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

You mean that time you pulled one anime-style picture that vaguely resembled Ydwin from a page full of small sword wielding elf females in skirts drawn in a western style?

Yeah. Let's hope nobody recalls that. Not like the basic argument that Ydwin is just another small-sword wielding Elf duelist female remains entirely the same.

Edited by Katarack21

Memory is still questionable, but at least now I know what marks to give you for reading comprehension.

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

You mean that time you pulled one anime-style picture that vaguely resembled Ydwin from a page full of small sword wielding elf females in skirts drawn in a western style?

Yeah. Let's hope nobody recalls that. Not like the basic argument that Ydwin is just another small-sword wielding Elf duelist female remains entirely the same.

No, slick, it wasn't "a page full of small sword wielding elf females in skirts drawn in a western style". There were a handful of images on that results page that *weren't* anime. Your argument that this is a western trope is foolish, and I had assumed that you'd wisely abandoned it after I pointed out how silly it was. Apparently I gave you too much credit.

Whatever your reasons for failing to address that point, it makes the fact that you're now accusing me of intellectual cowardice pretty laughable. But please proceed. I have nothing better to do at the moment.

No, slick, it wasn't "a page full of small sword wielding elf females in skirts drawn in a western style". There were a handful of images on that results page that *weren't* anime. Your argument that this is a western trope is foolish, and I had assumed that you'd wisely abandoned it after I pointed out how silly it was. Apparently I gave you too much credit.

Whatever your reasons for failing to address that point, it makes the fact that you're now accusing me of intellectual cowardice pretty laughable. But please proceed. I have nothing better to do at the moment.

You proved your intellectual cowardice when you decided to use a logical fallacy of reducing my argument to absurdity instead of actually refuting it. You continue to show it as you use petty nicknames.

Last word is mine then? Fine by me.

I refuted your argument on page 5 and you scampered away. Now you're back, insisting that I take you seriously after demonstrating that you aren't here in good faith. Block away, pal.

I really liked the character concept and was an early supporter asking for her to be expanded upon BUT this was before the concept art that later came out. Apologies to the artist but I also thought it was very anime inspired and it put me off of the character because it seemed so out of place. I don't hate anime as there have been a few that I have enjoyed over the years but I also normally just call them cartoons so I'm not the slightest bit involved in whatever subculture has evolved around them either.

:shrugz:

"out of place" is exact the problem we got.  the written description for ydwin had us optimistic 'cause, as we has said elsewhere, greater explanation o' animancy were needed in the poe setting. a death fixation might not been the route we would take given an opportunity to develop such a character as ydwin, but even w/o full companion status, one could hope her recruitment quest and accompanying lore might involve animancy.  after all, why make ydwin an animancer w/o actual providing more animancy clarity? being such a cheerful optimist, we looked on the bright side.

concept art had us confused.  as you observe, the aesthetic choice were simple "out of place."  am not having a problem with implausible. as we has noted elsewhere in this thread, and in many other threads, is loads o' stuff in poe which is implausible.   ydwin aesthetic is more appropriate to jrpgs and anime than for poe or for what we has seen from poe2 thus far.   didn't mesh.

am not a wow fan.  wow aesthetic is not our ideal, but it looks attractive even so... and it is consistent.   have a single wow character which is looking like the terme boxer would be as curiously jarring as having a wow-style paladin in poe2.

DwarfPaladin1.jpg

ydwin doesn't fit the poe aesthetic.  to make her fit most anime/jrpg ideal would require only to add a bit o' heel to her boots, and turn her leggings into thigh-high stockings.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Shoulda flipped Ydwin because it looks like she is threatening Xoti there.

@Gromnir: Yeah, that's the same feeling I got, just seems out of place for the renaiisance to 18th century style clothing that Obsidian is aiming for. Though the culture as far as gender roles go is very liberal for period, but typical for modern.

Remove the skirt and Ydwin would be fine actually. Skirts seem to be more of a thing with the wealthy in the PoE universe.

Edited by smjjames

Shoulda flipped Ydwin because it looks like she is threatening Xoti there.

@Gromnir: Yeah, that's the same feeling I got, just seems out of place for the renaiisance to 18th century style clothing that Obsidian is aiming for. Though the culture as far as gender roles go is very liberal for period, but typical for modern.

Remove the skirt and Ydwin would be fine actually. Skirts seem to be more of a thing with the wealthy in the PoE universe.

Ydwin is from the White that Wends and managed to attend the Academy in the Vaillian Republic--that is, from one of the poorest places and went to one of the most prestigious schools. She's just trying to fit in.

That's a fine mountain some of y'all have made out of this molehill. Or more of a mouse's burrow, really.

Are you addressing the anime fans who have been obnoxiously obsessing over Ydwin since the concept art dropped (take a moment and consider why this thread even exists)? Or are you addressing those of us who are rejoicing because *maybe* we can stop having to hear about her?

• Like 3

That's a fine mountain some of y'all have made out of this molehill. Or more of a mouse's burrow, really.

Are you addressing the anime fans who have been obnoxiously obsessing over Ydwin since the concept art dropped (take a moment and consider why this thread even exists)? Or are you addressing those of us who are rejoicing because *maybe* we can stop having to hear about her?

This thread exists because some people can’t take a joke, mostly. And boredom, lots of it.

Pillars of Bugothas

This thread exists because some people can’t take a joke, mostly. And boredom, lots of it.

The OP started this thread because they can't take a joke and they were bored? Or because they're one of the aforementioned Ydwin-obsessed?

The OP didn't have to (do either of those things).

Edit: let me give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you only post around here. This Ydwin nonsense has been going on for weeks over on Fig. It's showing up here now because the stretch goals are over and Obsidian folks have pretty much stopped posting in the comments.

Edit2: Shame on me. I just did a forum search for "Ydwin" and learned that this nonsense has been going on here as well. Funny to see her referred to as "the anime girl" in other threads while people obstinately declare that "no one" is making that connection.

Edited by Achilles
  • Like 2

The OP started this thread because they can't take a joke and they were bored? Or because they're one of the aforementioned Ydwin-obsessed?

A thread lives if there are comments, it dies otherwise. You can, of course, pretend to be literal-minded if you feel like it.

Pillars of Bugothas

Obtuse much? This thread wouldn't have been started if Ydwin fanbois didn't exist.

• Like 1

Obtuse much? This thread wouldn't have been started if Ydwin fanbois didn't exist.

You should look into a mirror before you accuse others of this. And Ydwin wouldn’t exist if PoE never existed in the first place. Your point?

More like, what exactly is your problem? Some people like the character, some people have some fantasies about said character and/or create humorous threads about it. There are many people out there and they don’t have to agree to your view on the issue (or pretty much any other). At least some of us don’t call other people names, like a certain someone on a page 6 did :biggrin:

Pillars of Bugothas

Wow that's deep, man. I get you though. Just think: PoE wouldn't exist if Obisidian didn't exist. And Obsidian wouldn't exist, if California didn't. And California wouldn't exist if the United States didn't. So really, this is all George Washington's fault.

As for me, I don't have a problem. In fact, just as soon as people stop responding to my posts with stupid things, I'll probably stop looking at this thread.

Regarding the last part, sorry to hear that you find "slick" so offensive, cool guy. I can definitely see why that would be so much more upsetting than, say, lying.

• Like 1