Ydwin to return in the expansion?

From what I make, sidekicks are companions that their story doesn't link to the main quest. Kewl. 

They also won't get the combinitorial explosion of dialogue and situation writing that the relationship system will implement. Because remember, relationships are also between companions not just the watcher.

Honestly, I'd expect side-kicks to come off more like companions from the first game. Maybe a tad less writing, but honestly it's not like you had all that much to talk with your companions about.

• Like 3

One of my concerns about POE 2 is the sidekicks. I really don't see the point at all. Rather do them properly i.e. As full companions or not at all. Doing something half assed never works out well.

Baldurs Gate2 worked quite well, and as Josh pointed out many of those characters had limited interactions and no story archs. 

the observation by josh were a criticism o' the bg2 approach.  rather than doing as bg2 wherein a handful o' companions got full treatement and a few received little more than bg1, all poe 2 companions will have quests and party dynamic dialogues and whatever else obsidian deems essential to core companions.  no companion crapshoot for the new player such as existed with bg2.  you perhaps liked mazzy and only realized after a few dozen hours o' gameplay she were gonna be developed less than jaheira, and less than even non-romance options such as keldorn? sucker. the poe2 sidekicks, on the other hand, will get less development than companions, and the player will be aware from the start that he/she is only gonna get bg1 level development when choosing a sidekick to be filling a party slot. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

One of my concerns about POE 2 is the sidekicks. I really don't see the point at all. Rather do them properly i.e. As full companions or not at all. Doing something half assed never works out well.

Baldurs Gate2 worked quite well, and as Josh pointed out many of those characters had limited interactions and no story archs. 

the observation by josh were a criticism o' the bg2 approach.  rather than doing as bg2 wherein a handful o' companions got full treatement and a few received little more than bg1, all poe 2 companions will have quests and party dynamic dialogues and whatever else obsidian deems essential to core companions.  no companion crapshoot for the new player such as existed with bg2.  you perhaps liked mazzy and only realized after a few dozen hours o' gameplay she were gonna be developed less than jaheira, and less than even non-romance options such as keldorn? sucker. the poe2 sidekicks, on the other hand, will get less development than companions, and the player will be aware from the start that he/she is only gonna get bg1 level development when choosing a sidekick to be filling a party slot. 

HA! Good Fun!

Right, so instead of getting 2/3rd of the way through the game and realizing this character is mysteriously silent all the time, you'll know going in. Exactly like BG2, some characters will have less interactions, but *unlike* BG2, you'll know before hand. That's literally the only difference--you'll know what characters have full interaction and what characters don't.

How in the world could knowing how much interaction you'll get out of your party be a bad thing? I don't understand that at all.

• Like 1

she is forever a side character :(

God willing

• Like 3

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Not entirely sure what the point of the sidekicks are either, other than as a way to get around party size limits. 

Not quite. The point is to offer the player low-risk access to a variety of classes in a party based game. Rekke has no inter-dependencies, so if you piss off Eder (or another companion runs him off), you still have a fighter around. Or maybe you decide that having a dedicated fighter (Rekke) means that you can safely give Eder a rogue build.

Size limit of active party members is still 5. The introduction of sidekicks does nothing to change that and Obsidian never talked about a hard cap on non-active party NPCs. 

• Like 1

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

the observation by josh were a criticism o' the bg2 approach. rather than doing as bg2 wherein a handful o' companions got full treatement and a few received little more than bg1, all poe 2 companions will have quests and party dynamic dialogues and whatever else obsidian deems essential to core companions. no companion crapshoot for the new player such as existed with bg2. you perhaps liked mazzy and only realized after a few dozen hours o' gameplay she were gonna be developed less than jaheira, and less than even non-romance options such as keldorn? sucker. the poe2 sidekicks, on the other hand, will get less development than companions, and the player will be aware from the start that he/she is only gonna get bg1 level development when choosing a sidekick to be filling a party slot.

HA! Good Fun!

Right, so instead of getting 2/3rd of the way through the game and realizing this character is mysteriously silent all the time, you'll know going in. Exactly like BG2, some characters will have less interactions, but *unlike* BG2, you'll know before hand. That's literally the only difference--you'll know what characters have full interaction and what characters don't.

How in the world could knowing how much interaction you'll get out of your party be a bad thing? I don't understand that at all.

Well, it's probably a good thing under those circumstances that you know one character is a sidekick as opposed to a companion.

My issue is I just don't see the point of sidekicks. Of course it will take resources and time to make them. But they could spend that time on the companions. Or even add one more companion instead of several sidekicks. Not sure how much time/resources is needed for a sidekick compared to a companion. But it will take time/resources. I'm also worried about the party relationship being lopsided. Ie one chirpy character v one taciturn toon. Not because it's his personality just because they ran out of money. Truth be told, I reckon many people might just go for mercs instead, in which case it's a waste.

Also: signing off, I can't help remember something I was taught ad nauseam as a kid. Do things properly or not at all. Mainly because it's a waste of time and money to do things by half. Time and money that could be spent elsewhere.

Edited by rheingold
  • Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I don't think there's anything wrong with having them. I mean, I probably won't use them much because I rather have the full companions in my party, sure, but it's not like a half-assed core mechanic (like a stronghold) that you're going to have to use. It's optional, you can safely ignore them. They are not replacing any full companions, they are an addition so we have more options when creating a party, because without them we would have only the main companions and the mercenaries. Same with the mercenaries: you don't like them? Fine, but you don't have to use them. What's the problem with that?

That said, I don't care much about Ydwin. I can't believe she's so popular with so little. Let's focus on the game and when we know her and it's time for an expansion, lets discuss this, but at this time it is rather pointless.

From fig campaign info we know that sidekicks will:

a) Have a unique quest you'll need to complete in order for them to follow you.

b) They'll have dialogues, personal preferences and will interject in conversations just as other companions.

c) They won't be part of the relationship system.

d) Their story won't be linked in the main plot.

e) They'll be something like Minsk in Baldur's Gate 2.

f) They won't be tsundere, yundere, fungere, marungere or whatever other -ere   :getlost:

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 7

f) They won't be tsundere, yundere, fungere, marungere or whatever other -ere :getlost:

Oh, that's alright then. The fact that they officially announced this on fig sets my mind at ease.

:')

They won't be 'cause tsundere and whatever are not personality traits.

• Like 1

The sidekicks will probably end up similar to the cohorts you could get in NWN2 SoZ for the most part, which often needed you to solve their quest in order to recruit them as well. I guess the point is this:

The quest will be in the game no matter what, and they have to do some line recording for these npcs no matter what, so they might as well increase the line recording a bit and let them join them. From this point of view, their cost seems marginal, so I'm sure its an economical sound way to enhance the game.

Many sidekicks are also better than a single new companion in the sense that the probability that at least someone is interesting is much higher.

Edited by Doppelschwert

The sidekicks will probably end up similar to the cohorts you could get in NWN2 SoZ for the most part, which often needed you to solve their quest in order to recruit them as well. I guess the point is this:

The quest will be in the game no matter what, and they have to do some line recording for these npcs no matter what, so they might as well increase the line recording a bit and let them join them. From this point of view, their cost seems marginal, so I'm sure its an economical sound way to enhance the game.

Many sidekicks are also better than a single new companion in the sense that the probability that at least someone is interesting is much higher.

Wait until players find out that the sidekicks have more "optimal" attributes than the full flavored party members. Commence whining bombardment as the target bears into view... ;)

• Like 3

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

f) They won't be tsundere, yundere, fungere, marungere or whatever other -ere :getlost:

Oh, that's alright then. The fact that they officially announced this on fig sets my mind at ease.

:')

They won't be 'cause tsundere and whatever are not personality traits.

the sidekicks could very easily have an established tsundere relationship with another npc in the game.  lack o' companion status won't preclude bg1 level development, and bg1 level development wouldn't preclude tsundere. takes very little developer effort to make ydwin actual tsundere 'cause many players is gonna be seeing such whether is there or not.  is an advantage o' using clichés and archetypes in such games as the audience inevitably fills in gaps with what they expect to find. 

the reason why ydwin won't be tsundere is 'cause the writers is unlikely to choose to make her so.  sure, the sidekick ydwin evokes anime tropes when one sees the art and reads the brief description, but am doubting the poe2 writers wanna be mocked for going full anime pastiche. am confident a companion ydwin would not be the joke character she seems to be at first glance.  

perhaps ironic, we believe a sidekick ydwin is actual more likely to be perceived as tsundere than would a companion ydwin as folks is gonna read such nonsense into the character given even the smallest possibility.  a companion ydwin will be developed fully and with care to avoid the appearance o' cliché.  sidekick ydwin is gonna be part o' a recruit quest, a portrait, a brief character description and a collection o' minimal banter, which will have folks reading all kinda nonsense into the character.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

What the heck is tsundere/yandere/yendere anyway? Anime has no place in this setting, at all.

Things that anime fans think exist in reality and thought it'll be a good idea to drop in here.Yeah, bad stuff :/

Edited by Sedrefilos

With all this talk of Ydwin being some sort of anime-influenced blot on the face of Eora, I'm surprised that no one's howling for Xoti's blood. Update #17 did say that she "totes akimbo scythes", which sounds like it'd end up as something like this:

3613552.jpg

Granted, it was most likely the writer's mistake since Gaun's props are a lamp and sickle. Even so, given the faint whiffs that have set some people off from that same update, I'd really expect more blood to boil at the mere thought of Xoti twirling scythes around.

Have you seen the concept piece for Ydwin?

ydwina-467x600.jpg

Edited by Achilles
  • Like 1

Have you seen the concept piece for Ydwin?

Yep, it's in the same update. Maybe it's different for other people, but "akimbo scythes" really prompts images of far worse anime excesses in my mind than concept art of a rapier-wielding glasses girl.

• Like 2

Maybe it's because the concept art from Update 2 contains no anime dog whistles

• Like 2