Ydwin to return in the expansion?

With her not making the cut as a full fledged companion in the base game - what are the chances of her being upgraded from hireling to companion status again as part of the expansion? Would be a shame to let the groundwork already laid out for the character go to waste, innit?

Same for the sea monster hunting and fishing stretch goal.

• Like 1

From Josh' Frog Helms Fan Club (https://twitter.com/jesawyer):

"Olá.

If we don’t hit the stretch goal by 5pm PDT today, she will be a sidekick in Deadfire.  It would be possible for her (or Rekke, etc.) to become a companion in an expansion, but not in the core game.  The new features we’re adding for companions increase the amount of work we need to do per companion by about 50%.  We’re fully scheduled for companion writing through the rest of the project just with the core 7."

• Like 6

There is definitely an expansion. You can buy it as an add on already.

• Like 6

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

There is definitely an expansion. You can buy it as an add on already.

Whoot?! How did I missed that? They put it in high reward but never talked about it at Q&A/updates? :blink:

It's the season pass for dlc. I reckon we'll see something like WM and perhaps other things as well.

Xoti > Ydwin anyways.

• Like 5

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Poor Ydwin, never hated a character so much before knowing anything about them.

Yep.

• Like 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

"Olá.

If we don’t hit the stretch goal by 5pm PDT today, she will be a sidekick in Deadfire.  It would be possible for her (or Rekke, etc.) to become a companion in an expansion, but not in the core game.  The new features we’re adding for companions increase the amount of work we need to do per companion by about 50%.  We’re fully scheduled for companion writing through the rest of the project just with the core 7."

God, just leave them out of the main game and introduce them completely in the expansion... This is a mess.

"Olá.

God, just leave them out of the main game and introduce them completely in the expansion... This is a mess.

Isn't that exactly what that quote says? So mess avoided. Yay.

With her not making the cut as a full fledged companion in the base game - what are the chances of her being upgraded from hireling to companion status again as part of the expansion? Would be a shame to let the groundwork already laid out for the character go to waste, innit?

Same for the sea monster hunting and fishing stretch goal.

ydwin will die horribly via a scripted event during first melee combat.  goth-girl's skirt will become entangled on an oxcart or rose bush or whatever as she attempts to enter the fray, causing her to lose balance and stumble to her knees.  recent rains/snows will have resulted in the ground being muddy, and when she final gets back to her feet, and readjusts her glasses, her spectacles will be smeared with all manner o' dampness and dirt.  instead o' removing her predictable fouled glasses as she shoulda' done in the first place, ydwin will stumble forward, functional blinded by folly, to be moments later speared through the liver by a xaurip juvenile wielding a fire-sharpened stick and a dragon-sized attitude. thus will end the story o' ydwin. 

fade  to black.

everybody cries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mdYPBIuhJY

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 8

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Olá.

No it's not. She'll be in the main game as a sidekick.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

"Olá.

Sidekicks aren't companions and don't eat into their writing resources. They are more like glorified mercenaries.

"Olá.

Sidekicks aren't companions and don't eat into their writing resources. They are more like glorified mercenaries.

Right, we all read the updates. The problem comes later when, assuming she becomes a companion in the update, Ydwin suddenly develops a lot more depth and interaction. To handle that, they would need to give her a reason why she changed from taciturn to fully interactive.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Well, at least with Rekke he speaks a different languages. He's probably the one I'm most looking forward to becoming a full companion eventually. So he'll have that period where he is picking up the language.

"Olá.

Right, we all read the updates. The problem comes later when, assuming she becomes a companion in the update, Ydwin suddenly develops a lot more depth and interaction. To handle that, they would need to give her a reason why she changed from taciturn to fully interactive.

We'll have to leave it to the devs shall we?

Well, at least with Rekke he speaks a different languages. He's probably the one I'm most looking forward to becoming a full companion eventually. So he'll have that period where he is picking up the language.

Well... He was used as an example, so... yeah, nice idea!

Edited by BlackRangerXIII

So, uh... who is Ydwin and why do people want her as a full companion so badly? This is greatly confusing to me.

Currently a sidekick, a corpse-obsessed female animancer crime observer. Eoras answer to Bones.

Edited by Katarack21

So, uh... who is Ydwin and why do people want her as a full companion so badly? This is greatly confusing to me.

Waifu bait.
  • Like 9

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Because all the kids think that "deeper companion relationships" = Japanese dating sim and therefore assume that she will be their waifu. That is the only reason. Edited by Achilles
  • Like 6

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Because she kind of looks like an anime character I guess?

As for who, she's one of the 'sidekick' companions (which exists as a way to get around the slightly smaller party size), I'll try to find the Fig update that mentions her.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=273#updates

And yeah, she's Eoras answer to the coroners and investigators in crime dramas, and RL ones.

Edited by smjjames