Q @ Devs: Will PoE2 have the gesturing portraits during conversation as in Tyranny?

In Tyranny, when you have a conversation with companions and most NPCs, instead of the static portrait for companions you have in PoE1, you'd see a window showing the companion or NPC doing various gestures. I'm just curious if PoE2 will have that neat feature as it deepens the immersion (though you guys already do it quite well with the descriptions).

Then again, I understand that PoE2 is going to be much, MUCH larger in size and scope than Tyranny (which was a joint project between Obsidian and Paradox), so, the assets needed would be much larger and there would be many more interactions than there are in Tyranny.

Of course, I'd be totally fine without that since you guys do a good job of it with descriptions already. I just thought that it would be a cool thing to have with the more dynamic and evolving interactions PoE2 is going to have.

edit2: I saw a suggestions thread back a bit, maybe I could post in there actually, or could have in the first place.

Edited by smjjames
  • Like 1

They didn't look particularly great in Tyranny - 3D models rarely look better than painted portraits, and the watercolours should fit the rest of the game better too.

• Like 7

I thought that the use of 3D models in Tyranny was creative, but it did seem like a good use of limited recourses. I am happy to have simpler but unique portraits for NPCs. Makes me very curious how the UI will look. I imagine it will be a departure from dark-wood design of PoE.

I don't know, my current Avatar sort of sums up my opinion.  I think they worked fine and had personality.  That said, for Eternity, I think the water color portraits are more in line with the feel of the game and will work well.

I think they were a novel idea that didn't really work well, they drew attention to the fact that the avatars didn't really look that good close up.

• Like 3

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

^ Agreed. A 2D portrait is typically leagues better than a 3D model unless the latter is exceptionally high-poly and with truly superb textures.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

NWN used portraits; NWN2 used 3D models. For the most part I didn't think it was an improvement. 3D models are satisfactory, but not as memorable as good oil-based art.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The nice thing about the models in Tyranny was that they reflected changes you made to your party members. Give them different armor? Dialog model shows them in the new armor. As impressive as that was, it felt like a half-measure considering that the main character portraits were static. My 2 cents

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."