Update #31 - Extended Slacker Backer Funding, and Developer Updates

Slacker Backers

We decided to extend our Slacker Backer funding until Friday, April 28th at 5pm PDT! This gives us a few more days to try and reach our $4.75M stretch goal - Sea Monsters and Fishing! Here are our current numbers:
  • Fig Slacker Backers - ~$122,900
  • Backer Portal Pledges - ~$170,000
Our Slacker Backer total is ~$292,900, which brings our crowdfunding total to $4.7M. We have only one day remaining, so be sure to spread the word. 

On Friday, April 28th at 5pm PDT, we will no longer count contributions towards stretch goals and the game will be 'content locked', meaning that we will not be putting any new content into the game. However, we will continue to take new backers on Fig and our Backer Portal if you'd still like to get rewards. We will share an update on Friday with more information on the Backer Portal and what you can expect in the near future.

Remember to confirm your pledge on the Backer Portal if you haven't already. We need this information linked so we can send you your rewards! You can read through our instructions for confirming your pledge in Update #25. If you have already backed Pillars II, you are able to modify your pledge at any time.

PoE Deluxe Edition OST & White March OST Now Available for Download!

For those backers who purchased the Pillars of Eternity Deluxe Edition OST or The White March OST, these soundtracks are now available for download on our Backer Portal!

Trkr1PT.jpg

Head over to the 'My Products' tab of your Account Profile to view the items available for download, and you should see your Digital Deluxe and White March soundtracks. If you have questions or need help with claiming your available digital rewards, please reach out to us at support@obsidian.net.

VyTFCBe.png

If you haven't purchased these soundtracks yet, you can still get them as an add-on for $15 (Deluxe Edition OST) or $9 (The White March OST).
  • Pillars of Eternity Digital Deluxe Edition OST ($15) - The most complete version of the soundtrack to Pillars of Eternity I, containing 27 new tracks! (Includes the soundtrack to The White March).
  • Pillars of Eternity: The White March Digital OST ($9) - The previously unreleased digital soundtrack to the Pillars of Eternity expansion, The White March (does not include the tracks from the base game).

New Campaign Shoutout - Phoenix Point

There's a new crowdfunding campaign on Fig, and if you're a fan of the X-COM series, you'll want to check it out. Snapshot Games and Jullian Gollop, creator of X-COM, are back with another game called Phoenix Point. The game features turn based tactics and world based strategy in a fight against a terrifying, alien menace.

eBMAGX0.jpg

Check our their Fig page, and if you're interested, consider contributing to Phoenix Point. They have some pretty cool rewards!

What Are We Up To?

In development related news, the team is  hard at work on another production milestone. Our milestones last for four weeks, and we aim to deliver certain features, areas, dialogue, and system functionality within that time frame. You can see our previous state of the project update in Update #24. Here are some snippets from our internal blog - taken straight from the development team.

Character Art and Animation

All of our godlike races have been completed by the character artists! More importantly, all of our races and genders are now implemented into Pillars II. Our most recent completed race is the Moon Godlike:

koQCbxw.jpg

Environment Art

Our Lead Artist, Kaz Aruga, is experimenting with color correction passes in Maya to make our scenes feel more vibrant. See the difference below:

Before Maya color correction (Unity screenshot):

NGAGJQq.jpg

After Maya color correction (Unity screenshot):

gEs3JGB.jpg

Programming, and New Cloth Physics!

In Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire we've upgraded to a new cloth solution for capes, robes and other garments using the cloth physics in Unity 5. The improved pipeline lets us add more cloth items to the game, as well as have good cloth simulation across all platforms - including Mac and Linux. Great! Well... it wasn't all great... Game development is never easy, and there's always a problem or an unforeseen issue. And with our new cloth, we soon ran into a problem with it, as we couldn't get it to work on our full-screen paper-doll characters that are shown in our Inventory, Character Creation, and Level-up UI. As we implemented capes, we found that Unity only has one physics "world", and our paper-doll characters exist in a separate scene from the rest of the game - but they share the same world as the rest of the game. When the game world is paused, the cloth sim in paper-doll would be paused as well, completely still and non-animate. We couldn't find a way around it. This was unacceptable of course, and we needed to find a solution. Our solution sounds crazy, but the only choice we had was to write our own cloth simulation for paper-doll. Thankfully, it didn't have to be as efficient or fancy as Unity cloth, as we only show a single character in paper-doll. Our solution uses a simple verlet-physics sim to get a stable physics simulation that was is fast and was easy to implement. The results are shown on a Vithrack character - hopefully you can agree that the simulation looks close-enough. In addition, we are exploring leveraging this system for flails and other dynamic simulations too!

1PpiD3G.gif

- Adam Brennecke, Lead Programmer

VFX

The VFX team continues their work on abilities and areas for this milestone. Because we have so many unique abilities, the VFX team is spending the majority of this milestone implementing ability effects and getting them to look awesome.

The ability shown below is called Minoletta's Missile Salvo. With this ability, the wizard braces to launch a series of missiles at the target over 4 seconds. The missiles do force damage and cause reflex shockwaves.

IhXk8qm.png

Overall

We're continuing forward at a fast pace and getting a lot done, but we still have a lot of functionality to implement over the next few months. The overall structure of Pillars II is starting to take shape. Areas and quests are beginning to flow more smoothly, more quests are implemented every week, and the text from our narrative designers has already immersed us in our journey back to Eora.

Thanks for stopping by!
  • Like 9

Thanks for the update. It all looks great, and I really like the new exotic moon godlike. For the color correction part though, the more drab look actually makes it more lifelike, gritty, and immersive. At least to me... tastes vary.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I wonder, with a certain couple of archmages possibly dead, will we see no more spells from those two? And if we can meet more archmages, I want to fight Citzal as a muscle wizard.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I wonder, with a certain couple of archmages possibly dead, will we see no more spells from those two? And if we can meet more archmages, I want to fight Citzal as a muscle wizard.

Even if they are dead, some yet unknown spells could be hidden somewhere in the world, right?

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Didn't realise you could get the White March soundtrack separately for $9!  Added it now, and while I was there I had to get the DLC season pass didn't I... well played, well played...

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Amazing art is amazing.

MOAR amazing art is even MOAR amazing:

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/857725481193316353

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Even if they are dead, some yet unknown spells could be hidden somewhere in the world, right?

Perhaps

But seeing as you kill them and take their Grimoires it would seem like they'd keep all their spells on them. I won't complain if we get Concelhaut's Soul Drain or Llengrath's Spell Trap because spells are cool, but it will be pretty weird.

At any rate I really want to fight the other archmages, preferably all at once.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

For the color correction part though, the more drab look actually makes it more lifelike, gritty, and immersive.

Same.

Not a fan of the plutonium-irradiated grass in the "color corrected" screenshot. The other one looks more realistic.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

For the color correction part though, the more drab look actually makes it more lifelike, gritty, and immersive.

Same.

Not a fan of the plutonium-irradiated grass in the "color corrected" screenshot. The other one looks more realistic.

They're saying that it's more of an experiment and not the final product.

I agree on the grass. Also, that torch brightness seems rather bright for full daylight in the second one. Seems like that would be more appropriate for nighttime rather than daytime. Though, again, I get that it's more of an experiment and not the final product.

• Like 2

Agreed. Hope they have eyes on the feedback :)

On unrelated news, looks like we're getting animations for corpses emerging from underwater too: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTcB3SMll-c/

I have a question, do the new Deadfire variant of the Moon godlike have fin thingies on their forearms? Maybe the blue companion is one of those new Moon godlikes.

They do not. He's not a Moon godlike - We'll be sharing some more information on him in the future! :)

• Like 1