What are your favorite narrative/thematic elements of Pillars' world/story/lore? And Why?

My favorite theme in PoE is probably the existence of Aliens among us. It is kept suddle, which is brilliant by the writers, but there are clever hints about it. 

Here is a rare piece of evidence.

150px-Miniature_Giant_Space_Piglet.jpg?v

Edited by TheisEjsing
  • Like 1

Maybe it's more like an Ondra-Piglet. So, not really alien. The goddess who pulled a whole moon down to Eora can probably also create moon godlike runt. Too bad it never gets hit in combat. I bet it has Silver Tide, too. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

An addition to my prior post:

Not new and still new

Let's be honest: Godlikes aren't a new idea and the Aumana could be orcs, for all we care. But  that isn't a bad things. Stories are build around archetypes, all of fiction basically is. The little details make a world alive. 

For example: I like the World of Dragon Age, but it took me until the second part to really get IN the world. Some of the big themes were revealed, but most of them didn't get any depth (and you could turn the whole "Urn of Andraste" - Quest into the Mainstory!). Pillars did this better. We learned right from the start, that the game will be about reincarnation and souls and which role they take in society. This is still a world with Elves and Dwarves, but everyone has build their society around this concepts and it is revealed how the common person lives with this, not only adventurers. This is how you deepen a fantasyworld. You don't need to invent a lot new slang or weird cultures, you just have to show how it's people "live" in this world. And the Republics seem to be nice enough place to live in (except the slavery, but hey, they will learn the advantages of corporate slaves, I mean paid workers, soon enough^^).

Edited by Harry Easter
  • Like 1

I quite liked the concept of awakened souls (souls that can recall past lives).

In the case of Aloth, I always felt more should have been explored with Iselmyr to make her presence within him a platform to explore Watcher powers etc.

Perhaps like in Mask of the Betrayer where you can enter peoples dreams with Gan, perhaps the Watcher can do this too?

Would be good if the Watcher could solve some quest by entering scenes from a past life - perhaps a quest for Aloth could be resolved this way - with the Watcher getting to see what Iselmyr looks like.

• Like 1

I'm gonna be controversial: I didn't care for or against the 'colonial' themes much.  I mean, ship sailing and actual setting up colonies I like, but the conflicts between natives and colonials, colonial independence etc I can take it or leave it to be honest.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I'm gonna be controversial: I didn't care for or against the 'colonial' themes much.  I mean, ship sailing and actual setting up colonies I like, but the conflicts between natives and colonials, colonial independence etc I can take it or leave it to be honest.

Good to know, but what aspects of the narrative ARE you caring about?

Good to know, but what aspects of the narrative ARE you caring about?

Sailing, exploration, Renaissance, animancy, gods, all sorts.  I enjoyed most of the themes in Pillars 1, just didn't particularly care for the colonialism part really could take it or leave it.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams