So... what is the current guesstimate on a release date?

Other than t he stat-boosting bug that hit almost everyone, same is true of me.

I'm convinced that's still not fixed. Considering every time Obsidian fixed it the bug appeared somewhere else, I'm convinced it's not a bug but some sort of Kickstarter curse, and Obsidian had to make a hidden secret level that nobody can access where the stacking bug lives now.

It honestly pissed me off. My first complete game--which is a 100% or damn-near game!--doesn't have any achievements, 'cuz I had to cheat to fix my damn stats. All I did was reset them, too!

With companies that currently rank high on my personal trust meter, I'm actually happy about delays because a delay means two things in this case:

1. The team has identified things that can be improved.
  2. They care about releasing a good product.

Now nobody wants a Duke Nukem Fornever situation, but then again, that's where said trust meter comes into play :)

• Like 1

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Buck: Sure, and you're targeting a Q1 2018 release, right? 

Feargus: Yes, so March 2018. 

Buck: Do you anticipate any issues hitting that schedule? 

Feargus: I don't think so. It's part of those things that, if there's some issue I would be surprised that we slipped more than a month. And that's not what anybody is feeling right now. I'm just saying sometimes in development there is some crazy curveball that happens because what we do is creative and sometimes something weird happens. We kind of understand our pipelines and what it takes to get things done and so we're not anticipating a slip. I would be surprised if we slipped. But if for some reason we did, it's not going to be a very long slide. 

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

So, two years then.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Yes, March 2018 = 2 years.

It's 2 years in Xaurip years.

• Like 3

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Buck: Sure, and you're targeting a Q1 2018 release, right?[/size] [/size]Feargus: Yes, so March 2018.[/size] [/size]Buck: Do you anticipate any issues hitting that schedule?[/size] [/size]Feargus: I don't think so. It's part of those things that, if there's some issue I would be surprised that we slipped more than a month. And that's not what anybody is feeling right now. I'm just saying sometimes in development there is some crazy curveball that happens because what we do is creative and sometimes something weird happens. We kind of understand our pipelines and what it takes to get things done and so we're not anticipating a slip. I would be surprised if we slipped. But if for some reason we did, it's not going to be a very long slide.[/size] [/size]

Being the CEO he would very well be obliged to say that his project would be on course to finish on the specified date. If it takes longer to make then he would lose money paying wages and other costs. He is obvisouly not going to say anything to encourage his development team to finish late.

Being the CEO, he is not beholden to go on the record at all, let alone with anything more specific than "when it's done". Saying March 2018 only hurts him unless he thinks that's a real date.

If the team can't make the date and they rush the game, he looks inept. If the team can't make the date and they delay the game, he looks like a liar. If the team can't make the date and he blames the team, he looks like a douchebag.

Project Manager here: crashing projects is more expensive, not less expensive. OT eats up budget faster and bringing temporary help often means paying more for contractors (not sure what it is in California, but actual wages only makes up about 30% what a company pays a contractor where I am). Things missed in QA have to be addressed in a patch, which means ramping up a separate sprint instead of taking advantage of the current production cycle (which means you lose the existing economies of scale) so you're going to have to eat the cost somewhere.So the whole idea that he's going to save money by forcing the team into a March 2018 date (again, something no one is forcing him to do) is just plain stupid.

If you'd like, we could wager on it.

Edited by Achilles
  • Like 2

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

If I have learned anything about crowd funded games that make a ton of money, they end up getting delayed a lot further than their original planned release date. Which is a good thing, mind you! It means the devs have more time to put in all the extra stretch goal content.

I could be wrong, and Obsidian will have it all said and done by Q1 2018. But I won't bet on it.

It is human nature to seek culpability in a time of tragedy. It is a sign of strength to cry out against fate, rather than to bow one’s head and succumb. Inevitably many will fault the hands upon the sword which felled Typhon, the Ordo Malleus. But the Inquisition merely performs the duty of its office. To further fear them is redundant; to hate them, heretical. Those more sensible will place responsibility with those who forced the hands of the Inquisition. With some fortune, they may foster this hatred into purpose, and further rule their own fate by coming to the Emperor’s service.

Yet ultimately, it was I who set these events into motion, with a single blow from my hammer, God Splitter.

-Gabriel Angelos, of the Blood Ravens 4th Company

Feargus has previously stated that they factored all the stretch goals into their timeline before they even launched the campaign. I think it's fair to say that you can look to Fulvano's Travels as evidence for this (they had a max number of locations and announced that it was over when they were all unlocked). Again, Feargus would be an idiot to say March unless it's March.

I reckon it could get delayed by a couple of months at the most. So June/July 2018 at worst. I reckon they started on POE2 sometime ago, very possibly immediately after White March 2, maybe even before. By all accounts they have had some time to work on it already. Feargus was pretty specific and it ain't the first game he's made.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I reckon it could get delayed by a couple of months at the most. So June/July 2018 at worst. I reckon they started on POE2 sometime ago, very possibly immediately after White March 2, maybe even before. By all accounts they have had some time to work on it already. Feargus was pretty specific and it ain't the first game he's made.

About 1:55 into the campaign announcement video, he says they've been working on it for a year. That would have been right about the same time that WM2 was launching (2/2016)

am gonna wait for the beta before making release guesses.  

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66536-guess-the-release-date/?p=1470995

as one can see, most folks were a bit optimistic 'bout the previous poe release date.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

as one can see, most folks were a bit optimistic 'bout the previous poe release date.

HA! Good Fun!

Well, you're not obliged by anyone/anything to give an accurate release date; you're not the publisher :p

So, guess freely! ;)

HA! Good Fun!

Well, you're not obliged by anyone/anything to give an accurate release date; you're not the publisher :p

So, guess freely! ;)

we will guess freely.  is the reason we will wait 'til beta and we discover just how much work needs be done to get the game into some semblance o' a releasable state.  our free guess for poe release were within a few days o' actual release, but we similar would not have attempted to make a guess for poe without seeing how far along were the obsidians. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

HA! Good Fun!

So, guess freely! ;)

we will guess freely.  is the reason we will wait 'til beta and we discover just how much work needs be done to get the game into some semblance o' a releasable state.  our free guess for poe release were within a few days o' actual release, but we similar would not have attempted to make a guess for poe without seeing how far along were the obsidians. 

HA! Good Fun!

Fair enough you, however many you are :p

(However many? Does this make sense?)

To be honest, I will be surprised if the game is released on 1Q 2018, but I think of all people Feargus really know his job and he probably knows what he's talking about. I think they've been working on the game for a long time now (I remember some comments on the sequel long time ago) and they have part of the work done sice it's a sequel, unlike with PoE1. Also, Q1+a possible 1-2 month delay would be June 18 at worst, which is realistic. The stretch goals are mainly expanding some of the existing mechanics (there is nothing like "second major city"), some other are externalized (soundtrack, translations), and they've probably taken into account the stretch goals, so while I think the ETA is surprisingly soon, I doubt it's utterly impossible to achieve it.

I think most crowfunded games have their campaign during pre-production, and this have been in production for a while, so that's why the development (at least the part we have seen) could take a shorter time than the others.

And please, don't quote me on this a year from now.