Deadfire is going to be an absolutely epic game of our generation

The more I read into this game the more I am becoming convinced deadfire is going to blow the game charts away and be the defining RPG of this decade.

Startling originality combined with refined old school perfectionism from the best in the industry will create a game on a level not seen since the gold old baldurs gate 2 days.

Bring it on! I can't wait it is going to be awesome.

Edited by firkraag888
  • Like 7

The combination of White March + Pillars 2 features explained during Fig campaign makes me very optimistic. I'm looking forward to a very exciting adventure at least. :)

The only thing that can ruin my experience completely is if they don't change might to strength.

Kidding :p

• Like 6

The combination of White March + Pillars 2 features explained during Fig campaign makes me very optimistic. I'm looking forward to a very exciting adventure at least. :)

The only thing that can ruin my experience completely is if they don't change might to strength.

Kidding :p

Certainly, you're actually saying that you'll be disappointed if they don't change the physique of wizards to match the fact that their magical prowess are tied to their strength? ;)

Looking forward to it, though I do have some concerns about the possible direction it's going. I do trust the devs though, so definitely willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Only if we get a codpiece revolver.

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Main concern I guess, is I hope it's not to much of an open world/sandbox feel. I can't remember the exact statements during the fig campaign but it was hinted at that there would be a substantial amount of freedom to roam around.

There are enough sandbox type games on the market so hoping that I misunderstood.

Not a huge fan of starting at first level with the old watcher, I don't really want to start this again, but from a story point of view it worries me. I'm also slightly concerned that they have bitten off more than they can chew, they seem to be quite ambitious, multi classing, new level caps, large world etc. It's a substantial amount of work and they don't seem to have much time.

But still looking forward to it. Obs are one of the few devs I trust and listening to Sawyer talk, well he clearly knows how to make games:)

So, yeah, overall looking forward to it with a few minor concerns.

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Main concern I guess, is I hope it's not to much of an open world/sandbox feel. I can't remember the exact statements during the fig campaign but it was hinted at that there would be a substantial amount of freedom to roam around.

There are enough sandbox type games on the market so hoping that I misunderstood.

Not a huge fan of starting at first level with the old watcher, I don't really want to start this again, but from a story point of view it worries me. I'm also slightly concerned that they have bitten off more than they can chew, they seem to be quite ambitious, multi classing, new level caps, large world etc. It's a substantial amount of work and they don't seem to have much time.

But still looking forward to it. Obs are one of the few devs I trust and listening to Sawyer talk, well he clearly knows how to make games:)

So, yeah, overall looking forward to it with a few minor concerns.

Hmmm... I don't know about this...

The open world is a "feel" as you said. It's not going to be sandbox open world. More likely like Fallout 2 open world. I'm fine with it - after all I'd like a different take on exploration, else that part of the game's gonna be one of the same.

For the level 1, I always like to start a game anew. I wouldn't like much to continue from level 16 - too cumbersome especially after all that time since my last playthrough! (I'd might like a different character though).

But those two are just personal preferences and are understanable.

Now the third one is objective. I don't think the team shows like they are doing more that they can. On the contrary. They showed exactly what they're trying to do and were tight with stretch goals. No huge dungeons, no two cities, no features on the fly. Specific stuff, gameplay demo video etc. They sound pretty confident. Big difference than Pillars 1 campaign.

My only concern is that the main plot and general roleplay/companion interactions won't be up to the xpectations. Because I expected more from the 1st game on that and it didn't deliver (except main plot - it was great imo, but linear). White March showed potential but still, it is a difficult thing to achieve. Way more difficult that good mechanics, encounter design and inspired locations.

• Like 3

It's a bit early for the hype train to leave the station, innit?

Nah, hype train left the moment fig campaign was announced :p

It's now broken midway and we're at a waiting station. Thankfully it's big and in a good location so we're not bored until the engine is repaired. The engineer said it'll be fixed sometime next year and we'll continue towards our final destination ;)

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 2

It's a bit early for the hype train to leave the station, innit?

Nah, hype train left the moment fig campaign was announced :p

It's now broken midway and we're at a waiting station. Thankfully it's big and in a good location so we're not bored until the engine is repaired. The engineer said it'll be fixed sometime next year and we'll continue towards our final destination ;)

... while overly-excitable people like me keep running around in circles on the platform next to the train happily going "Choo-choooo!"

• Like 4

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

I find your excess of faith disturbing.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

To me PoE already was this. It was almost surreal playing the opening level. It had been a long time since I had an experience like that with a game.

I felt the same. But most of it was about not knowing what the **** was going on and what everyone was talking about. It will be hard to repeat that.

• Like 2

---

We're all doomed

The more I read into this game the more I am becoming convinced deadfire is going to blow the game charts away and be the defining RPG of this decade.

I agree that it will be an epic game of this generation but I'm not sure if it will do amazing on the sales charts...

The best games tend to get overlooked or overshadowed by some lousy overhyped AAA games that spend massive amounts on marketing. Since Crpg genre is more niche than people like to admit and it's a crowdfunded game (people out there hate crowd-funded projects thanks to Mighty No.9 and Double Fine) so with everything working against Deadfire, we'll just have to wait and see.

Would low sales keep it from being my goty? Nope.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

people out there hate crowd-funded projects thanks to Mighty No.9 and Double Fine

I've only really ever seen people hating on crowd sourcing as a concept, not on the end products themselves - when the end products are any good of course.
  • Like 3

I agree that it will be an epic game of this generation but I'm not sure if it will do amazing on the sales charts...

The best games tend to get overlooked or overshadowed by some lousy overhyped AAA games that spend massive amounts on marketing. Since Crpg genre is more niche than people like to admit and it's a crowdfunded game (people out there hate crowd-funded projects thanks to Mighty No.9 and Double Fine) so with everything working against Deadfire, we'll just have to wait and see.

Would low sales keep it from being my goty? Nope.

I don't think people hate crowd funded games, it is just that most of them aren't very good.  After all, let's be real, they had to go the crowdfunding route to begin with, and that says something.  Very few projects are coming from established companies like Obsidian that understand what it takes to be successful.  Double Fine, even when backed by a publisher, wouldn't know how to properly budget or make a deadline if their lives depended on it.  Most KS games are even worse off, just passion projects put together by a handful of people.

So yeah, Deadfire is not going to blast off any sales chart.  I hope they can get more than half a million sales, maybe even over 1 million long term.  But it is a isometric computer RPG, it is a niche, it wasn't mainstream even during the Baldur's Gate 2 heyday, it certainly won't be mainstream in 2017.

• Like 1