This is more of a fantasy/dream than anything else but... a hidden companion side-kick! (Because A) Less work for Obsidian and B) No voice-over, only text-based dialogue)

Some examples:

1) Pesmerga, Suikoden 2.

Lol seriously they had a companion named Pesmerga? :D

Those Japanese games are really random with their names :D

It would be kind of neat to have a toggle to fade enemies or allies so that it's easier to see the other. Maybe also fade all particle effects too. It just can get so busy on screen that it's hard to target or get a good layout of the situation. I guess Deadfire is supposed to be more visually readable but it could still be a useful feature.

Speaking about features for/during combat pause.

What about the ability to toggle on path routes. That way you can see the route that an ally is going to take. That way you can deliberately send them on your preferred path for them.

http://suikoden.wikia.com/wiki/Pesmerga

I think it refers to the translation (in the Trivia): "He who chases after Death"

Yeah. I know Peshmerga is the name of the Iraqi Kurdish forces. That's why it's so weird to see someone has a name in Kurdish in that fantasy game :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peshmerga

Edited by Sedrefilos

It would be kind of neat to have a toggle to fade enemies or allies so that it's easier to see the other. Maybe also fade all particle effects too. It just can get so busy on screen that it's hard to target or get a good layout of the situation. I guess Deadfire is supposed to be more visually readable but it could still be a useful feature.

What about the ability to toggle on path routes. That way you can see the route that an ally is going to take. That way you can deliberately send them on your preferred path for them.

They said when you hold tab while the combat is paused, particle effects will fade.

I don't understand what you mean by "toggle on path routes" but I remember something about way points has been asked to Josh in one of the streams but he dismissed it saying shift-clicking way points is already possible. Guess the person asking wanted the "paths to way points" to be visible.

They said when you hold tab while the combat is paused, particle effects will fade.

I don't understand what you mean by "toggle on path routes" but I remember something about way points has been asked to Josh in one of the streams but he dismissed it saying shift-clicking way points is already possible. Guess the person asking wanted the "paths to way points" to be visible.

Cool, sounds like my ideas are more or less covered.

A high athletics score should allow a character to squeeze (tumble?) through narrow gaps between an opponent and a wall or other obstacle.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Donno about squeezing through opponents but squeezing through allies is needed. If one of our characters is in melee range with one or more allies, functions should pop-up at the end of ability bar "Switch Places with Eder" etc whoever's applicable, which should be supported with a talent for ignoring engagement when switching places. Essentially close range "Coordinated Positioning" for everyone. Or there maybe more elegant solutions I can't think of :p

Edited by Quillon
  • Like 2

Donno about squeezing through opponents but squeezing through allies is needed. If one of our characters is in melee range with one or more allies, functions should pop-up at the end of ability bar "Switch Places with Eder" etc whoever's applicable, which should be supported with a talent for ignoring engagement when switching places. Essentially close range "Coordinated Positioning" for everyone. Or there maybe more elegant solutions I can't think of :p

Totally agree. In real life people are very good sliding past each other in close quarters. They way it was in 1 was far too stiff. A few times with weak mobs I'd just let Aloth tank in a door way because it was too much of a bother to turn everyone around given disengagement penalties.

I like disengagement but there should be a mechanic where a tank can squeeze through and replace the front line, saving the disengagement of whoever was previously stuck tanking. For example pulling someone away and you get the penalty. But you allocate someone who is isn't being engaged, then you can use them to "take over." Perhaps the enemy can still re-target it's previous target. But now you force the disengage on the enemy.

Actually it would be really cool if the enemy mob could do this too. To save their own squishy back line.

I remember Josh talking about pulling/pushing is more robust in the newer engine, guess we can expect some abilities to pull/push enemies/allies for fighters at the least.

Actually it would be really cool if the enemy mob could do this too. To save their own squishy back line.

If there is a function I don't see why it couldn't be possible, enemies should & we also could automate it through custom AI. If X is hit by a melee wep, pull him/switch places etc :D

Tactically it makes sense for a fighter to be able to do a tactical swap ("bump"?) with any other party member. Group tactics should be in their blood. Perhaps other melee classes pick it up later, while the remainder need to spend a talent?

• Like 2

Group tactics should be in their blood.

It would be awesome if this idea was incorporated into the Fighter profile in PoE2. They would just need to be extra careful so it does not overlap with Paladins too much - perhaps by making the Fighter's abilities more visceral/physical? Pally seems to be more "supernatural" in nature, but that's neither here nor there, since all classes use a form of magic.

Like for instance, an ability that allows the Fighter to jump to a targeted ally and actively shield him from blows. The ally would use Fighters deflection and reflex in defensive rolls, but they both would suffer a sever attack speed debuff (possibly, attacks that miss the protected ally, still have a chance to graze the Fighter).

Or an offensive version of them same concept - Fighter's abilities can be used as "Co-ordinated attack" under the right circumstances. For instance, when fighting 1-one-1 Knockdown is your regular ol' Knockdown, but when you have another martial class flanking, it deals bonus damage, cannot miss and gives a free attack to the contributing ally. Sort of like a lite version of Tyranny's combo moves. And so, where a Paladin is a master and commander, shouting out orders and supporting the entire team with buffs, a Fighter is at their best when forming a tag team with a buddy.

Edited by CornyCarrot

Tactically it makes sense for a fighter to be able to do a tactical swap ("bump"?) with any other party member. Group tactics should be in their blood. Perhaps other melee classes pick it up later, while the remainder need to spend a talent?

It was the basic infantry doctrine of the Roman legions.

And there it is: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVDjIuJlZiE/

• Like 2

And there it is: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVDjIuJlZiE/

I'm experiencing pre-bliss right now. This is a killer feature.

• Like 1

Rogues have Coordinated Positioning which can be what you guys were talking about. Just make a shorter range version talent for everyone and it's done.

Essentially close range "Coordinated Positioning" for everyone.

:)

Rogues have Coordinated Positioning which can be what you guys were talking about. Just make a shorter range version talent for everyone and it's done.

This probably needs a constraint on it like: both parties in the switch need to recover from their current action before the swap can occur.

This probably needs a constraint on it like: both parties in the switch need to recover from their current action before the swap can occur.

Or maybe just the one invoking the coordinated positioning does, the recipient then incurs an idle penalty that gets added to the recover that it still has left.

• 2 weeks later...

Or maybe just the one invoking the coordinated positioning does, the recipient then incurs an idle penalty that gets added to the recover that it still has left.

What's wrong with you guys? _We_ don't want constraints. Well, I don't. The developers get crazy ideas about constraints well enough on their own, we don't need to volunteer them. "Balance... blah, blah, blah."

Let me have it all, I say!

Seriously, I only want four things:

Faster load times

Let my ranger animal have its own leveling up tree and not eat up mine

Let my rogue either layout more traps or stop gimping the ones I disable

And faster load times

And, maybe, faster load times.

Joe

^

@ Jfutral

Well, for me it's not about constraints, it's about building up compositional systems that reduce constraints. As of now (read: PoE1) your party's positioning is a pain point. It's all too easy to get locked into a position where it's better to just tough through the fight rather than risk disengage penalties, all because an engagement got setup wrong in the first few seconds.

This problem makes moment to moment standard mob encounters potentially uninviting and loathsome.

The alternative is to have positioning be entirely free. I wouldn't mind that to much, but it also poses some problems as your encounters will be highly unstructured and now you can't block off enemy units.

The next solution is to have complete freedom only between friendly units, but then choke points cease to exist. A solution would be to have some mechanic to deliberately coordinate in a way that gets the players the positioning they need without doing so being nothing but penalties. Perhaps your companions can slip past one another, they just can't stop when there is no space left. But this also poses a problem because kiting becomes trivial, as seen in games like SC2. Which is why I suggest a deliberate mechanic to slip past. It shouldn't be enough just to keep party members on the move.

Edited by injurai

My only problem is how "combat started" is the delineation vs non-combat. So I'll set a trap, shoot someone with a bow, and run back to the party. Before engaging in combat my guy clearly walked between party members. Now all of a sudden he can't, so he either gets stuck in a vulnerable position before he can buff with a potion or cast a spell (which everyone else has already done), or he finds some god-awful circuitous route which just as often runs him back into the enemy.

In the midst of a fight I kind of actually get the difficulty imposed. But before the battles actually rages/engages seems kind of peculiar.

Joe

PS, but really. Don't give up the farm by suggesting constraints! The developers need some challenge of their own. :biggrin:

JF

Edited by JFutral