I'm 100% sure that using 3D model close-ups in conversations is going to be much much much easier, cheaper and faster to implement, but nostalgia is in the way :p

It's not nostalgia, it's just aesthetics. The 3D portraits for Tyranny were very jarring, the poses exaggerated and unnatural, applied to every character in the same manner regardless of their personality or position; moreover, the renders just seemed very primitive and of poor quality. Traditional portraits worked much better in the first Pillars by comparison, and also fit the overall tone and design of the Renaissance-based isometric setting than the more artificial renders would.

Really though, people ought to stop chalking everything up to "nostalgia". By this definition the only reason why anyone would have a preference for a game aesthetic that isn't that of a AAA FPS/TPS is because of "nostalgia". Especially in the realms of art and aesthetics, new isn't always better.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 5

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

The Knight weapon group needs another weapon, it's the only weapon group with 4 weapons while the others have 5.

The extra weapon would probably be a lance, if there was mounted combat. Many of the extra weapons are a second ranged weapon, so I'm not sure the Knight is missing much.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'd like to see half-races. Half-Elf, half-Orlan, etc.

The lore already indicates that half-races aren't a possibility in Eora (for a source on that, search for "half races" in this old gamebanshee interview with Sawyer: http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/111978-project-eternity-social-round-up.html). Subracial mixes are an established possibility as per Xoti, though.

Edited by blotter
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps a little-known fact: godlike actually can reproduce, but only with certain divine spirits drawn from the native plane of their originating god. The result of their procreation is a multi-planar creature possessing unique abilities and motivations. Few god-like beings ever achieve this, or even know of it. But of those that do, their child is likely to be an exceptional creation.

There could be orphanages for god-like children where the abandoned infants are raised by understanding and supportive godlike adults. They may even grow up to live in an island commune of godlikes, dedicated to mutual protection.

I'd like to see half-races. Half-Elf, half-Orlan, etc.

The lore already indicates that half-races aren't a possibility in Eora (for a source on that, search for "half races" in this old gamebanshee interview with Sawyer: http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/111978-project-eternity-social-round-up.html). Subracial mixes are an established possibility as per Xoti, though.

Yup. I had to dispell some reddit musings people were having a while back.

Perhaps a little-known fact: godlike actually can reproduce, but only with certain divine spirits drawn from the native plane of their originating god. The result of their procreation is a multi-planar creature possessing unique abilities and motivations. Few god-like beings ever achieve this, or even know of it. But of those that do, their child is likely to be an exceptional creation.

Wait what... I don't remember ever encountering this tidbit.

Wait what... I don't remember ever encountering this tidbit.

Well it's just a suggestion, not canon.  :cat:

Honestly, you could just look at Tyranny for a lot of UI enhancements to steal. I really liked a lot of what they did with that.

One thing not take from Tyranny is numbered ability bar which limits the visible selection of abilities. All abilities visible together & hotkeyable on the fly from PoE ftw.

The ability to rest until a specific part of the day, like dawn, noon, dusk, or midnight.

Ed.: dust => dusk

Sawyer already confirmed that there'll be waiting outside of [8 hours] resting.

• Like 1

The Knight weapon group needs another weapon, it's the only weapon group with 4 weapons while the others have 5.

The extra weapon would probably be a lance, if there was mounted combat. Many of the extra weapons are a second ranged weapon, so I'm not sure the Knight is missing much.

Mounted combat would be so awesome!

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Mounted combat would be so awesome!

In a sailory themed setting? - unlikely.

Seahorses!

Man-Riding-a-Sea-Horse-24051.jpg

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Mounted combat in an isometric auto-attack game will change nothing imo.

Fantasy games are all about the variety. Mounted combat would add new tactics, new weapons, and new combinations of opponents.

• Like 2

Fantasy games are all about the variety. Mounted combat would add new tactics, new weapons, and new combinations of opponents.

That would have been exciting in an action game. Now it's an auto-combat game. Being on a mount will give you + defense, + offence, maybe restrict you from some weapon, give you a couple extra, restrict you from using some abilities give you a few other abilities... ok doesen't sound that exciting to me. Like you could use a modal ability or something.

• Like 1

That would have been exciting in an action game. Now it's an auto-combat game. Being on a mount will give you + defense, + offence, maybe restrict you from some weapon, give you a couple extra, restrict you from using some abilities give you a few other abilities... ok doesen't sound that exciting to me. Like you could use a modal ability or something.

+++fantasy atmosphere

But yeah, given your particular tastes it's probably not that interesting.

That would have been exciting in an action game. 

Action games' mounted combat is mostly awful, especially if you're using a melee weapon on a horse. Although it sounds fantastic I wouldn't know how they'd fit it in a game like this; for starters the maps would have to be considerably bigger and maybe more enemies would be needed on screen at any given time to justify it, not to mention all the additional abilities, animations and BALANCING it. Also mounting/dismounting for all the party members could be tedious if you have to do it frequently...yeah it would clash with exploration big time.

Mounted combat could be added to a game like Expeditions: Conquistador more easily where you enter maps only for combat.

ed:

Btw. Larian just announced DOS2's ship-base and relationship system :) I think this is good for PoE 2, Obs would need to try to top what Larian did in those areas :D

Edited by Quillon
  • Like 2

There could be mounted opponents that count as a single unit. That'll be cool but won't be "mounted combat". And it doesen't have to imo.

It would if the rider could dismount (or be dismounted) and fight separately.

More gun options might be cool.

How about a really strong character can use a cannon as a gun

It is human nature to seek culpability in a time of tragedy. It is a sign of strength to cry out against fate, rather than to bow one’s head and succumb. Inevitably many will fault the hands upon the sword which felled Typhon, the Ordo Malleus. But the Inquisition merely performs the duty of its office. To further fear them is redundant; to hate them, heretical. Those more sensible will place responsibility with those who forced the hands of the Inquisition. With some fortune, they may foster this hatred into purpose, and further rule their own fate by coming to the Emperor’s service.

Yet ultimately, it was I who set these events into motion, with a single blow from my hammer, God Splitter.

-Gabriel Angelos, of the Blood Ravens 4th Company

Not necessarily, but even at a base level you could have a unit with different abilities mounted and unmounted.  That could create a fun combat decision, especially if you could charm the mount separately from the rider.