One thing that could improve all the attributes would be to get rid of the whole Fortitude - Reflex - Will - Defence scheme and instead just have certain abilities introduce attribute checks. The general guidelines could be:

Strength - used in checks against knockback and knockdown effects and such

Constitution - used in checks against poisons and diseases

Dexterity - used when dodging attacks

Perception - used to measure reflexes, IE to check if you notice something early enough to attempt a dodge roll

Intelligence - used to combat illusions

Resolve - used to defend against direct mental attacks, such as fear, sleep and charm.

I see your point, but tell me: what's wrong with this?

Attribute_effects.png?version=cf4901881d

Magnitude, class values for certain stats, and concentration being poorly implemented. Otherwise it's pretty good. Move over nerds, it's muscle wizard tyme.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I would make offensive stats contribute less to defenses than the defensive stats.  Might gives you a bonus to Fortitude, but you get more per point from Constitution.  Resolve gives you more to Will than Intelligence, and you get more out of Perception than you do Dexterity (this one's tricky since both are arguably of equal importance for "get out of the way of the big fireball", and both are arguably offensive stats.)

I don't know to fix Action Speed.  It's a total mess and while I understand holding to turn-based concepts like rounds is kind of archaic for a RTwP game format, it makes it so much easier to understand and calculate things.  "Haste gives you an additional attack per round at your highest attack bonus (full ACC in Pillars terms)" is so much easier to quantify and understand than "ADoM increases your action speed by 50% but you need to calculate how much you're getting from Dexterity and losing from your armor penalty to figure out what that actually means."  I don't expect them to scrap the current system, of course, but it's unnecessarily confusing and seems like a questionable design choice.  I do like the idea of actions starting immediately after completion (rather than a "cooldown" period), and Action Speed just influencing how long an action takes.  Characters standing around staring at each other menacingly was always one of the downsides of the IE's RTwP system.

That's actually a nice idea. Maybe split bonuses into half and full.

Might +1 Fortitude

Con +2 Fortitude

Intelligence +1 Will

Resolve +2 Will

Dexterity +2 Reflex, +2 Deflection, +1 Accuracy

Perception +1 Reflex, +1 Deflection, +2 Accuracy

Arguably Dex and Per could both affect evasion and accuracy so why not split it. 15 Dex and 15 Per would total +15 Accuracy +15 Deflection which is pretty huge, so the other stats should have as big an impact on combat. E.g. high strength could be a requirement to be able to punch through medium/heavy armor in which case a high Dex/Per finesse type fighter would suffer against heavier armor and/or have the Endurance of a fly. Strength should influence the success of knockdowns and shield bashes and whatnot heavily too.

Intelligence is already a dump stat for melee warriors so it would only become more important for everyone if it affected the number of skill points you get.

Resolve could play a role for non-casters influencing how much and often they can use active talents (encounter powers) like knockdown or disciplined barrage. A resolute warrior could be more versatile and have more control options and answers for particular situations on the battlefield.

This is what im talking about!

Resolve should be (is) mental strength. It should be important to characters like wizards and paladins.

Man, you reaaly need to stop insulting people

Messier-31 didn't actually make a point with that picture. What is Ninjamestari suppose to critique in that picture? The text is not the right color? He already explained what he thought was wrong with the stats in previous posts if you actually bother to read them.

When Ninjamestari stated for Messier-31 to actually clarify what he actually wants to talk about (rather than trying to reset the conversation from beginning because you can't argue his points) he answered in a condescending/insulting way with no actual point or clarification.

• Like 2

Actually the graph you posted is simply a depiction of the current system. I really don't understand what you wished to accomplish with it.

The current system is exactly what you propose to "change".

Go back and read the discussion, I've absolutely no desire to repeat what has been said a dozen times over just because you decided that now is an appropriate time to act like an idiot.

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

Now that has been abundantly clear from the very beginning.

Noone likes you. Did you know that? Noone really knows what you wanted to achieve with your "system". Did you know that too? Your "system" is crap. You certainly didn't know that.

• Like 1

---

We're all doomed

Honestly, I don't understand why some posters insist on posting about a game they clearly cant stand. We get it, you dont like POE. Why waste time repeating it? There are plenty of other games that can scratch your itch.

For the rest of us, the stats fill their purpose. Is it an elegant/genius solution? Nope. They are serviceable and play in ok with the mechanics. Nothing minor tweaks cant solve.

• Like 2

Noone likes you. Did you know that? Noone really knows what you wanted to achieve with your "system". Did you know that too? Your "system" is crap. You certainly didn't know that.

I don't tolerate bull****, that's why people who are full of it never like me. It's nice how you can't be bothered to actually think about the subject matter and try to understand the issue, but you're so incredibly ready to jump at every chance you get at being an ****. I understand that you're used to living in an echo-chamber of sycophants too busy kissing each other's asses to ever produce an honest thought, but you could at least make an effort not to be so lowly a character.

And there are plenty of people who *do* understand what I want to achieve, you know, people who have actually *read* what I've written, and those who actually *do* agree with me, who are trying to achieve the very same thing. Your lack of understanding is the result of your own attitude problem and lack of effort, and you hate me because I have forced that very unflattering truth about your personality to the surface. Your kind gravitates towards echo-chambers which is why you never learn anything and get threatened when confronted with opposing viewpoints. This is also why your opinions are essentially worthless to others.

Honestly, I don't understand why some posters insist on posting about a game they clearly cant stand. We get it, you dont like POE. Why waste time repeating it? There are plenty of other games that can scratch your itch.

For the rest of us, the stats fill their purpose. Is it an elegant/genius solution? Nope. They are serviceable and play in ok with the mechanics. Nothing minor tweaks cant solve.

There are a lot of things about PoE I do like, that's why it bothers me so to see an otherwise excellent game ruined by a few idiotic design decisions. This is an old issue, a small but incredibly impactful part of the game that many people dislike immensely. I'm not here to mindlessly praise Obsidian like an idiot, I'm here because I'm interested in ideas that could improve the game, and that means discussing about things I don't like so much.

And if you think that minor tweaks can solve the issues then by all means, share your ideas with the class: those ideas are the reason this thread exists, not this bull**** spewed by infantile people getting defensive because their favorite game gets criticism.

Edited by Ninjamestari

I don't tolerate bull****, that's why people who are full of it never like me.

There are a lot of things about PoE I do like, that's why it bothers me so to see an otherwise good game ruined by a few idiotic design decisions.

Not to nitpick, but that's often not the impression you leave. Personally, I question the value of repeated attacks against a system that pleases or is at least considered serviceable by most players. In any case, I'm happy to see that you enjoy enough of the game to feel so strongly about it.

• Like 2

I don't tolerate bull****, that's why people who are full of it never like me.

Hey, what a coincidence. I don't tolerate bull**** either. And you, my mentally disadvantaged friend are filled to the brim with pure, brown, fresh bull****. There's no need to be filled with bull**** to not like you, because as I said: Noone likes you. Stupid people don't like you, smart people don't like you, women don't like you and men don't like you. Even german people don't like you. You are just not very likeable.

• Like 2

---

We're all doomed

Come on Mord, we don't need to bring the discussion here to Ninja's levels. Just laugh his remarks off like the rest of us do and carry on, he does raise a valid point every now and again (like most people here do, actually, regardless of whether one agrees with them or not.) If you're so bothered by his behavior, you can ignore his posts via your account settings, or report them to a moderator if you feel they're that offensive for some reason.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 6

Come on Mord, we don't need to bring the discussion here to Ninja's levels. Just laugh his remarks off like the rest of us do and carry on, he does raise a valid point every now and again (like most people here do, actually, regardless of whether one agrees with them or not.) If you're so bothered by his behavior, you can ignore his posts via your account settings, or report them to a moderator if you feel they're that offensive for some reason.

This. If a person can't manage the common decency to not get involved in discussions just to bash their opponents on a personal level, then it's better for them to utilize the ignore feature and spare us all this bull****. They don't see my comments and I don't have to respond to their idiotic and disrespectful attempts at wit, and the actual discussion can continue unhindered. Everyone wins. I'm not here to please anyone, I'm here to discuss game mechanics, if someone cannot appreciate that, then they can go **** themselves for all I care; I'm not going to treat disrespectful people with kid gloves.

I never claimed that he never has a valid point. Sometimes I agree with him. But that does not mean that I like him. Because noone does. And in this particular discussion he not even has a point. And certainly no right to talk to people like that.

I don't tolerate bull****, that's why people who are full of it never like me. It's nice how you can't be bothered to actually think about the subject matter and try to understand the issue, but you're so incredibly ready to jump at every chance you get at being an ****. I understand that you're used to living in an echo-chamber of sycophants too busy kissing each other's asses to ever produce an honest thought, but you could at least make an effort not to be so lowly a character.

And there are plenty of people who *do* understand what I want to achieve, you know, people who have actually *read* what I've written, and those who actually *do* agree with me, who are trying to achieve the very same thing. Your lack of understanding is the result of your own attitude problem and lack of effort, and you hate me because I have forced that very unflattering truth about your personality to the surface. Your kind gravitates towards echo-chambers which is why you never learn anything and get threatened when confronted with opposing viewpoints. This is also why your opinions are essentially worthless to others.

I see you edited your answer to sound more eloquent. What a wise decision. But it didn't really work out. Because there's nothing to understand. Your whole "truth" is bull****. No matter how often I read it. The only unflattering truth her is: You are a ****. And it wasn't even necessary to bring it to the surface. It was already obious to everyone.

You are the one in the echo chamber. Its name is noone-understands-me. On the doormat there's a message: "You're worthless". You think it is for your visitors. But the only one that comes visiting you is yourself.

• Like 1

---

We're all doomed

just to bash their opponents on a personal level

You started that. Now try your own medicine.

Actually I didn't. If you don't even have the decency to put in the effort to know what the hell people are talking about, then you might as well do everyone the favor of staying silent. I never said *anything* to you, you haven't contributed *anything* to this discussion besides this butt-hurt bull****. 

I never claimed that he never has a valid point. Sometimes I agree with him. But that does not mean that I like him. Because noone does. And in this particular discussion he not even has a point. And certainly no right to talk to people like that.

And this is really funny, coming from you.

Actually I didn't. If you don't even have the decency to put in the effort to know what the hell people are talking about, then you might as well do everyone the favor of staying silent. I never said *anything* to you, you haven't contributed *anything* to this discussion besides this butt-hurt bull****.

I never claimed that you said anything to me. I just don't like your tone. You didn't contribute to the discussion either. But at least you tried.

• Like 1

---

We're all doomed

I never claimed that you said anything to me. I just don't like your tone. You didn't contribute to the discussion either. But at least you tried.

So you just decided that now is a good time to act like an ****. That's rich.