New/Modern Games You Would Never Touch...

For me, there are a few things I don't like about Steam:

*Unjust VAC bans

*Shovelware

*The toxic forums

*Scammers

*Review system

But these are the benefits of Steam that Origin and GoG do not offer:

*Greenlight program

*Early Access involvement

*Talk to devs on the forum, add them on your friendslist

Mobile app to do anything anywhere

*Achievements, trading cards, bans

*Able to get gift cards from Walmart. Gamestop, etc.

*Far better and versatile controller support

*Games usually get patched on Steam faster than anywhere else

*Watch people play games

*Share screenshots, artwork, videos, etc

*Good messenger program whether on pc or on phone

*Community market to sell free things for money or trade

*Best family share feature out there

I think the drm thing is nuetral, since there is a balance. It sucks because people can't share their games but it's good because it fights against piracy and protects the devs as well as the consumers. I think Denuvo has been doing a phenomenal job as finding the right balance as well, as more games now feature it and very good games at that.

You can now permanently delete games you don't want from Steam but you cannot give away games that have been previously activated to your account, although I wouldn't doubt if they made that possible sometime in the future since it's being requested alot.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

"I also despise the fact that I can't get rid of Steam games that I don't like or want, because they're locked to my account so selling the discs to someone is of no use."

There's an option to permanently remove them.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

"I also despise the fact that I can't get rid of Steam games that I don't like or want, because they're locked to my account so selling the discs to someone is of no use."

There's an option to permanently remove them.

Though as Sonicmage pointed out, I can't sell them on, there's not much use in removing them from my account otherwise :)

Maybe I should've said sell or give them away instead.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I will never touch multi-player games. You're all idiots, stay out of my hobby.

I'm not interested in strategy games. Too much like work.

Top down (isometric) games of any kind. Holy crap am I tired of them. I was tired of them in the nineties, I'm tired of them now. DIE.

To be honest, I almost only enjoy open world games where I'm let lose to explore and do my own thing now. Everything else feels too constrained.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

maybe that's why people here hate Steam.

The reason why I hate Steam is because I don't want to lease my games, I burn my gog games to discs to save them for the future, something I can't do with Steam. Even though it might be unlikely, if Valve collapses from Gabens bingeing on their tax-forms because he felt peckish, or something else, you won't be able to play your games.

I also despise the fact that I can't get rid of Steam games that I don't like or want, because they're locked to my account so selling the discs to someone is of no use.

Same here, the final straw for me is the auto updates that force changes on you. I can understand it in multiplayer games but not in singleplayer. I just use steam now for multiplayer games and the occasional exclusive.

• Like 2

Same here, the final straw for me is the auto updates that force changes on you. I can understand it in multiplayer games but not in singleplayer. I just use steam now for multiplayer games and the occasional exclusive.

I had completely forgotten those.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

You can work around auto-updates, but it sure is tedious. You'd just set the game to not auto-update, edit the game's appmanifest (a plain text file in your steamapps folder) to say it's the latest version, and then restart Steam, and then it'd think it's updated. Since you can obviously get around it, I am not even sure what the point of forcing this crap on you really even is - seems like it's just there to annoy the rest of us who really do not like auto-updates.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Yeah, they've made it easier to both permanently get rid of games from your list and avoid auto-updates, as well as polling back to previous versions. Steam does seem to pay attention to its users, at least. They've also made it a bit easier to get rid of all the shovelware titles on the main page.

They are also finally removing Greenlight once and for all in favor of "Direct" publishing :)

I'm happy to hear this as it will weed out all the shovelware, clones and RPGmaker games (all of which annoy me).

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Things I won't touch... Can be summarised by "anime inspired" and "Real Time Strategy". Apart from those two broad categories, I'm usually game (pun unintended) for most things.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Survival games, for me, mainly.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I forgot...

World Of Warcraft.

I can play most video games. However there are a few that stand out for me personally.

Anything that make music an essential part of the gameplay and not without reasons. I am profoundly deaf and can't really enjoy or keep up with the music gameplay. There was a certain gameboy Zelda puzzle that I couldn't solve for this same reason.

Anything remotely related with shooter genre. After bazillion different versions I grew tired of not really see much innovation within that genre.

Anything that is focus on multiplayer to exclusive of everything else with a few MMO exception to this rule.

Dating Simulation, I personally prefer a real live conversation over scripted game.

I try to avoid games that are "not likely to receive updates" because I am a little obsessive about glitch/bug not getting fixed.

That said there are a few certain games that blur the line such as moba that I do play.

Anything that make music an essential part of the gameplay and not without reasons. I am profoundly deaf and can't really enjoy or keep up with the music gameplay. There was a certain gameboy Zelda puzzle that I couldn't solve for this same reason.

While I'm not deaf, I'm hearing impaired so this applies to me aswell, I also shy away from games where soundscape is very important.

There are game types I tend to gravitate away from, but never say never, hence the answer is "nothing".

Fair enough.

For me, I already know there are a couple genres I will never ever play/consider which are:

-FMV

-Dating Sims

-Match3

-Visual Novels

I'm not sure why Xcom 2 and Final Fantasy XV are on your list, those were two of my favorites recently. Final Fantasy XV is pretty quirky but pretty much nails the whole vibe of the previous versions, and Xcom 2 is the best turn base tactical game to come out since Jagged Alliance 2.

Most of these new shooters do nothing for me.

Final Fantasy's story was a confused mess.  I was hugely disappointed in just how badly put together that game was.  It was like a bunch of different people wrote sections of the story, but never actually conferred with each other to make it cohesive.  Add in that it seems like the final edit randomly deleted huge chunks of story, and it's like watching an old VHS movie where someone recorded over the movie every 15 minutes.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'm not sure why Xcom 2 and Final Fantasy XV are on your list, those were two of my favorites recently. Final Fantasy XV is pretty quirky but pretty much nails the whole vibe of the previous versions, and Xcom 2 is the best turn base tactical game to come out since Jagged Alliance 2.

Most of these new shooters do nothing for me.

Final Fantasy's story was a confused mess.  I was hugely disappointed in just how badly put together that game was.  It was like a bunch of different people wrote sections of the story, but never actually conferred with each other to make it cohesive.  Add in that it seems like the final edit randomly deleted huge chunks of story, and it's like watching an old VHS movie where someone recorded over the movie every 15 minutes.

I think that is actually what happened. I enjoyed cooking and picking out the best pictures, though.

• Like 1

I don't generally play first person shooters - your Battlefronts, Battlefields, Call of Duties. Doom even. Anything with a big multiplayer component.

The Witcher notwithstanding, I'm pretty much done with open world games as well - Final Fantasy XV, Horizon Zero Dawn, Mass Effect: Andromeda. Time is at a premium these days and I have to think long and hard about which games I invest in.

The PlayStation is my bread-and-butter. And yet I've only bought around 14 PS4 games over the past two and half years, despite there being a lot more I'd like to play. To be a teenager again and have no life or responsibilities...