New/Modern Games You Would Never Touch...

I agree that the new Zelda is horrible, the only thing I liked about it is how accessible it is to move around the open world - better than Elder Scrolls. Nintendo was clever to put in rock-climbing and shield-boarding and use of the environment in that way. Also the horse/owner relationship in miles beyond Skyrim or Witcher 3. Unfortunately, those are the only good things I can say about BoTW.

The graphics are ugly, the voice-overs are worse than the worst Sonic games, the combat is Souls-ish *Ewww!*, and the animation is average. We need less of these open world action-rpg's... I'm glad Zenith released, it takes so many stabs at modern rpg's (many references, the game is basically a parody of different games).

Ys series is a good alternative to Zelda. Sometimes simplicity is better :D

Edit:

And yes, Overwatch... selling not because it's a good game but because it has sexy girl characters *Sigh* ... oh yeah, and because it's Blizzard. Blizzard can make crap and people will buy it and love it.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Some games series I've never played and will never play.

Arma

Assassin's Creed

Dark Souls

Dragon Age 2 and DA:I (DA:O is the exception to this series but never bought DA:2 or DA:I)

Grand Theft Auto

Mass Effect

Sid Meier's Civilization

The Sims

Tom Clancy's <insert game title>

Tyranny

Train or Truck Simulators

Not because they're good or bad. Mainly because I spend most of my time on games I've already bought over the years that I've enjoyed or never played and see no need to buy more games. There are some very rare exceptions with buying new games but I probably by one game a year now. I see no reason in having hundreds of games I've never played only to buy more games that I will never play regardless of price. That's just throwing money away. I prefer to play games I already own.

Pretty much anything exclusive to Nintendo systems. Not because I think the games or Nintendo systems are bad or anything like that (I have no basis to decide such things). I just prioritize other things over Nintendo so never get around to trying it.

My roommates might get the Nintendo Switch though, so I might end up trying Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

There are games that upon initially hearing their premise I wasn't entirely sold (Nier: Automata, Horizon Zero Dawn, Dark Souls) but once I learned literally anything about the games after that I started to look forward to playing them.

There aren't a lot of games I can list that I absolutely wouldn't play under any circumstance. I mean there are a lot of games I'll never play because I have enough of a backlog as it is, but games that I reject out of hand? They exist but I'm hard-pressed to name any at the moment.

Never much enjoyed majority of sports games, simply because I don't get the fantasy of doing a sport (I do actually get it for people have physical disabilities that don't allow them to go and do them, but I... Well, can. And I also get it with full outside VR 11D experience). I don't tend to touch purely excel-based management games either, because I can do work at work.

Other than that tho, I don't think there are many core games without merit, and so I tend to try them before judging them. I usually avoid MP-only games, but that's not because I'd not enjoy them but because ... well, I can't pause them.

What are some games that you would never consider, not even if they were on a gravely discounted sale? No really... I'm curious.

Final Fantasy XV

I've always been meaning to go back and play Final Fantasy XII, since Akitoshi Kawazu is a mad genius and even his bad games have something worthwhile to experience in them. I've also liked the stuff that Yasumi Matsuno did with the Ivalice games.

You have your chance this year with FFXII Zodiac Job getting remaster. I have absolutely loathed FFXII when played for the first time, but I somehow fell in love with the game during second playthrough. Sometime one look is really not enough.

For me, no touch will always be anything made by EA and Ubisoft. And currently on my never touch list is also FFVII Remake. From what I have read and see so far, well it will be hell lot of disapointment. They turned the third best FF game into hack and slash game, where you will be controling only one character... *puke emote*

Oh and whenever I see a game being advertised as open world game, it is very likely that it ends up on my No Touch List as well.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Anything that requires Uplay or Origin account because I don't support the companies behind those platforms.

I'd add Steam to that.

Same stink, different veneer.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Anything that requires Uplay or Origin account because I don't support the companies behind those platforms.

I'd add Steam to that.

Same ****, different veneer.

Are you dissing the great GabeN, gaming messiah and single-handed saviour of PC gaming? :biggrin:

To be honest I also avoid Steam, Uplay and Origin as much as I can - and it becomes easier all the time with more and more available on GOG, but that has its own problems. I completely understand why GOG diversified like that but I want some moar ol' geams, kthx? Where's muh Star Trek Armada and Armada 2, those I would pay good money for. They're practically unfixable these days, outside of going all the way and using a virtual installation of an old version of Windows.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I had fun with Destiny but I think I'll stay away from Destiny 2 because it's basically the latest entry in the Heroin Hero series: endless grind!

Another pointless Sonicmage thread... at least he hasn't double posted in it yet ...

Actually, I love the laid-back mentality of the Obsidian Boards. Nothing is really wrong here unless someone starts fire, I personally never had to come across something like that during the time I've been active here which makes me like this place even more. But should someone find this place vomit-worthy® then I guess websites such as No Mutants Allowed and RPG Codex should be right up their alley. :p

• Like 4

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Are you dissing the great GabeN, gaming messiah and single-handed saviour of PC gaming? :biggrin:

To be honest I also avoid Steam, Uplay and Origin as much as I can - and it becomes easier all the time with more and more available on GOG, but that has its own problems. I completely understand why GOG diversified like that but I want some moar ol' geams, kthx? Where's muh Star Trek Armada and Armada 2, those I would pay good money for. They're practically unfixable these days, outside of going all the way and using a virtual installation of an old version of Windows.

Dear god no, I'd never say I wouldn't pee on him if he was on fire, because then someone would look me up and set me on fire. :)

I do have a pretty decent library over on gog aswell, but as you say there aren't that many, especially there aren't any new AAA games being released there except CD Projects own offerings.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Any MMO ever, just can't stand the grind.. As for singleplayer games, I've become very skeptical of any newer game developed by Bethesda, Ubisoft, Sid Meier or Bioware, they've generally moved in a direction, with their games, I'm having a hard time finding enjoyable. The emphasis being on smooth, gamey and arcadey aesthetics and gameplay - I don't like the overly polished, makes me feel like the game is too artificial.

Bought and played all the Witcher games too, but they never really worked for me either. I always completly lose interest about 10-15 minutes into the games and then never come back to them.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

People here seem to hare Steam with a passion, that doesn't make it bad though. Out of all the platforms such as GoG, Origin, etc, I prefer Steam because of the experience and the community market.

I own a few Ubi titles and love them. Rayman Legends is still one of my favorite modern platformer games. Watch Dogs is severely underrated, Far Cry 3 and 4 are decent fps with an actual story worth playing for imo. Now when you get into Ubisogt's rpgs.... that may be a whole different story lol

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I can't really answer the question, as any game that doesn't have some element that interests me is generally forgotten in the onslaught of game releases.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I own games on Steam, Uplay, and Origin. Admittedly all the games I have on Uplay were free and I haven't played them yet. I'm pretty happy with Steam, and Origin has meant that games I previously owned on Steam but were glitchy there work fine via Origin (Mass Effect and Dragon Age: Origins, specifically).

I'm actually really surprised that peeps here favor GoG over Origin... considering that Origin gives away 90's classics - the games which old people on this forum cheerish. You can never go wrong with someone giving you free copies of games like Age Of Empire, Sim Ant, Sim Hospital, Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, etc etc.

But then again, people these days are weary of even accepting something for free - even when they know there's no catch involved but I digress.

Edited by SonicMage117

GOG gives away games too every once in awhile. Some of the games I got for free include: Fallout, Neverwinter Nights: Diamond, Beneath a Steel Sky and Broken Sword: Director's Cut. Then there are some games that I got for free for having my steam account linked to my GOG account.

Hmmm....time to give GOG Galaxy a try, I want to brag about my playtime once I've started playing Neverwinter Nights! :p

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I'm staying away from both GoG and Origin then...

Something fishy about a drm market place giving away free games, however, there must be an even bigger catch with a drm free place giving away free games. Amirite? Steam will always have that #1 spot in my heart <3

I didn't think the Steam hate was that bad here with only a small handful of people being like no Steam ever (though a lot of no Origin ever people). That said, there aren't as many people who absolutely love it here as I've seen other places but that's what always seemed the weirdest to me, the fanboys. For me it's just something I've got to have to play some games and I don't hate it but I defintely don't favor it either as I prefer to get my games DRM free when possible but that hasn't stopped me from having like 6 differnt clients on my machine.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Right, I'm definitely no fanboy for any of them in particular but I do recognize the benefits that Steam offers that Origin, uPlay and GoG cannot. It would take too long to list all of them but I think everyone here knows what I'm talking about. Excluding the unrealistic paranoias of drm, I just don't see anything wrong with uPlay, Origin or Steam. I use all of them and I'm content with what each has to offer :)

Most games that I personally like to play are on Steam, greenlit games, etc. I'm one of those guys that plays the $15 so-called "cheap" indie or "poor man's game" but find that those are actually the best games - especially being of the 80's/90's generations of gamers. GoG seems like a great place to go if you're older and looking for those old classic games that aren't on Steam and maybe that's why people here hate Steam. Try'na keep those old gems alive..

"We don't want those RPGmaker trash games made by a couple 10 year olds that aint got no experience... YARRRR!!! Git dat there Steam out of here, those young kids tryin to get rid of us real gamers" (Raising my pitchfork and spitting to the ground)

maybe that's why people here hate Steam.

The reason why I hate Steam is because I don't want to lease my games, I burn my gog games to discs to save them for the future, something I can't do with Steam. Even though it might be unlikely, if Valve collapses from Gabens bingeing on their tax-forms because he felt peckish, or something else, you won't be able to play your games.

I also despise the fact that I can't get rid of Steam games that I don't like or want, because they're locked to my account so selling the discs to someone is of no use.

I'm actually really surprised that peeps here favor GoG over Origin... considering that Origin gives away 90's classics - the games which old people on this forum cheerish. You can never go wrong with someone giving you free copies of games like Age Of Empire, Sim Ant, Sim Hospital, Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, etc etc.

But then again, people these days are weary of even accepting something for free - even when they know there's no catch involved but I digress.

That's not such a surprise. GoG has a huge list of classics, many of them exlusives, that come with no strings attached, and when business reality forced GoG into regional pricing they at least introduced the GoG wallet system. Which was super helpful for a while but now isn't that great any more, what with exchange rates being what they are - but that can change again.

There's also the itsy bitsy tiny fact that GoG's classics are generally more stable and none of the other advantages of the other platforms apply to them anyway.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.