New/Modern Games You Would Never Touch...

What are some games that you would never consider, not even if they were on a gravely discounted sale? No really... I'm curious.

Final Fantasy XV

X-Com 2

Battle Brothers

Are a few of mine. I have great tastes in games but these games make me vommit lol

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I gave up on Final Fantasy games a long while ago. Some day I'll manage to play 8. But those after that? Meh.

I finished XCOM 2 once. It was OK for one run through. I can't bring myself to play again.

Battle Brothers is actually on my wishlist :p

The list of games I wouldn't touch is too long to write here ;)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

-Overwatch, Agents of Mayhem and anything 'Saturday Morning Cartoon' related. 

-Rocket League

-Stellaris, Crusader Kings...

-Fallout 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition 

Pretty sure I ain't going to touch any of these soon. 

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I can consider everything, but I'm very unlikely to play Fallout 4 after having played Fallout 3 and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

It is also unlikely that I buy Final Fantasy XV. I played a couple of different demos and I realized that the game probably wasn't for me. Who knows, I might end up buying it on sale once they include a version with all the DLC.

What else... Most roguelikes and first person shooters are not my thing, but there are always some exceptions. Roguelikes becuase of my inability to keep calm at points, lol. Most first person shooters because of bad eyesight.

Real time strategy is probably the only genre that I am completely disinterested in.

I'm not sure why Xcom 2 and Final Fantasy XV are on your list, those were two of my favorites recently. Final Fantasy XV is pretty quirky but pretty much nails the whole vibe of the previous versions, and Xcom 2 is the best turn base tactical game to come out since Jagged Alliance 2.

Most of these new shooters do nothing for me.

A topic just to randomly hate on modern games? Seems a little mean :p

Commenting on your list...

X-Com 2 is an amazing game. Not sure why it makes you vomit.

I tried FFXV. Didn't work for me either.

Battle Brothers...  I absolutely love the concept, but I'm going to be a little shallow here and say that the graphics put me off.

As for myself, I'm not really into shooters, so that automatically closes a lot of doors for me.

Edited by Heijoushin

I have great tastes in games but these games make me vommit lol

'Hi guys, my name is Dave, I have great taste in games!"

90% of all games, new or old, are crap. Would take forever to list them? 

Sometimes there are games that make me ashamed to have wasted time on them, like Fallout 3. 

• Like 2

Fallout 3 was fine for me, but Fallout 4 made me sad. Although I think it was the fact that Fallout 3 came out after a long drought, and led to FO:NV, where Fallout 4 ditched all the character development options of the universe and paled in comparison to NV.

• Like 1

Call of Battlefields, Bethsoft made games, pretentious walking sims, 95% of indie games - the ones with "deep stories" to tell. Fifa, NFL and basketball games, Forza, Gran Tourismo, majority of arcadey racing games really. Point and click adventure games, Telltale games, The Sims, The Batman series and any other superhero game. There are more, but I can't remember it at the moment :p

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I have great tastes in games but these games make me vommit lol

'Hi guys, my name is Dave, I have great taste in games!"

90% of all games, new or old, are crap. Would take forever to list them? 

Sometimes there are games that make me ashamed to have wasted time on them, like Fallout 3.

My name is not Dave....

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

What are some games that you would never consider, not even if they were on a gravely discounted sale? No really... I'm curious.

Final Fantasy XV

I've always been meaning to go back and play Final Fantasy XII, since Akitoshi Kawazu is a mad genius and even his bad games have something worthwhile to experience in them. I've also liked the stuff that Yasumi Matsuno did with the Ivalice games.

1aw3tiY.png

To be fair, there are just as many games (if not more) that were horrible games in the 90's... whether we talk unpolished, unfinished, etc. When you look at them now and play them now, you might realize how badly they've aged. The difference is that we grew up with them so they have a sentiment respect, they're "classics" even if they're bad because of nostalgia, right?

Not trying to start a war but just stating something that is true. I'm an old timer myself, so I totally understand. I'm pretty sure that today's age of gaming is far better than the 90's so-called "golden age of gaming", call me crazy but there's alot more diversity and the industry has finally gotten back to creativity within the last 5 years thanks to the indie movement.

I must have around 2,000 hours put into various Jrpg's from FF7 to Lunar but only one series has really satisfied me and that's the Ys series.. It's the only Jrpg game series I've held onto til this day.

As far as anime, I won't really touch Visual Novels or dating sims. I think they are weird and dating sims are a waste of money imho. The only anime related games I play are anime fighters which I love to death.

Racing... well let's face it, racing games are much better today than they've ever been thanks to physics ever-evolving. Forza Horizon 2, Wipeout 2048, Redout to amke a few.

I haven't touched an FPS for awhile but Stalker and Metro are modern enough. I think Quake, Unreal and classic Wolfenstein or Doom are all overrated. I wouldn't spend money on them now just to have them in my library because I've already experienced them. Wolfenstein: The New Order is a great expereince.

I think every genre of the 90's has been topped by games o late 2010's but still yes, alot of the "I wouldnt touch that with a 10 ft pole" and sometimes it's not even because it's bad but just because the dev has sold out, changed things in a way we don't like or maybe has some design choices that we just don't agree with. As I get older, there are alot of games I have grown out of, some genres I take a break from. Some days I just want to play a slow paced game with less action... because I'm old.

On the days I feel younger though, I may play something like Unreal Tournament at 200fps ;)

I'm still expecting some kind of explanation about why these new/modern games are vomit worthy for SonicMage. I mean is it just the genre in general?

edit: Ha, he posted a better explanation right before I asked. Although I still don't get the Xcom 2 complaint. I used to load up the originals every year, and I haven't had to since Firaxis rebooted the franchise.

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

I'm still expecting some kind of explanation about why these new/modern games are vomit worthy for SonicMage. I mean is it just the genre in general?

Well I played FFXV and there was alot of design choices that I just didn't agree with. Maybe it's more preference than anything, there was alot that just didn't sit well with me. To be as honest as I can, the boyband thing turned me off from the get-go, there was alot about the Final Fantasy gamea that didn't really grab me - even the classics but I felt like the newest one was a sell-out in alot of ways. Maybe what I consider a disappointment, others will consider an evolution. And then others just stay faithful because of the name.

X-Com 2, well I loved the first game but there was something that turned me off about the sequel that I can't quite figure out what exactly it was alot of. When it first came out, there was alot of frustrating... I could not adjust to the timers, the random "cheap-shots" were abundant, I understand the differences they wanted to make and why they wanted to make it but it just ended up being maybe too much change (like FO3 vs FO4). If any of that makes sense. I just think the first one works better, I know some peeps don't agree with me on that which is totally fine too.

Battle Brothers, well I don't generally play the type of game but the art style (to me) is one of the ugliest things I've seen in recent history - even uglier than SFIV's art style if that's possible, and then the mechanics I didn't like either. There is just nothing I see that draws me to it.

I know my comments may be a bit rough here. I'm by no means a great explainer/talker. One of my favorite series is Sonic The Hedgehog games on Sega Genesis, I can admit that they were nothing to fancy or special. It's just that I grew up with them. The modern Sonic games suck. What gravitates me today to certain games are characters that I can relate to, a decent story (at least) and something that doesn't have too big of a learning curve as I don't have alot of time to game now that life priorities have changed (yet here I am, always on the forum... I'm always by my phone so I guess that's different lol).

I like this topic because I finally get to ask this question from you people:

Is Earth Defense Force a good game or a vomit-worthy® game?

EDIT: I don't like it much but I do hear a lot of 'EDF! EDF! EDF!' while surfing teh interwebz.

Edited by Katphood
  • Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Growing up I always had a fascination with bugs, I always enjoyed movies about giant insects so I actually don't mind EDF, I haven't played the new one - I hear they made it all anime-like. I'm not one for anime but I'd probably still enjoy jumping in a giant tank and blasting aliens to bit all the same.

It's noteworthy I'm one of the few people on Steam that bought Militant on Steam lol So maybe I don't have good taste in games after all. I usually like to seek out unknown games on Steam, or rather ones that get overlooked and overshadowed because of popular releases.

Don't mind me, I'm mumbling, mumblings of unimportance.

• Like 1

A relatively recent example of a game in a series that I like that I won't touch is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I shy away from all explicitly "open world" games because they tend to offer a repetitive and flawed/disappointing experience after about 10-20 hours of gameplay for me (the exact mark seems to be different for everyone...some people start feeling it after a pretty short while, such as myself, while others can play it significantly longer before games like this and, for example, the Elder Scrolls series, start to really feel that way). Sure, those first 10-20 hours might seem incredible, but games like this always eventually leave a poor impression by the time you finish with them, and I just don't really want to bother with that - it's not what I want out of Zelda. Throw in absolutely terrible voice-acting and copy+paste content throughout the entire game, and I really just can't be bothered.

So it's too bad that Nintendo has announced that BotW will be their blueprint for future installments. Guess that means no more Zelda for me for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Not counting Fallout 4 here necessarily, but isn't listing pretty widely poorly received games like Andromeda kinda besides the point here? Thought the idea was games that were well-received but that you just can't find yourself bothering with for specific (perceived or actual) reasons.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.