Missing Araman

BradonSWSBCK

Question

Hello, everybody and thanks for reading this.  Normally I would never post on a forum like this, but I have searched everywhere for a solution to a problem on Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer and this is the last resort.  Okay, so I was playing Neverwinter Nights 2 and I got into the dream of the sleeping coven (the hag place).  I entered their dream and I fought my way through the stage battle (with Magda and the audience), got past the bard's dream and completed his game, and then I entered the dream that took me to DGV where Araman is supposed to be there and talk to you.  The only problem is that, when I entered the dream, he was not there.  I basically entered the dream and the entire room is empty.  He isn't even there.  The only things in the room are me, Gann, and the door.  I have honestly tried everything and I have completed this game before so I know that he is supposed to show up.  Is there a way to like skip this part of the quest or is there a command I came make to make him appear?  Thanks for reading and I apologize if I didn't post on the right forum page....oops ;-)

3 answers to this question

I have the exact same problem. I purchased the game from gog.com. Maybe there's something wrong with the version they're selling? I also tried disabling any extra plugins, customizations, etc. and worked my way back to that area from a save a few levels back, but still no dice. Would be very nice to get a solution for this since it's a game-ending bug. Thanks in advance for any advice/help!

Related to this, I just saw the same issue mentioned on the comments for a plugin on Neverwinter Vault: https://neverwintervault.org/rolovault/projects/nwn2/nwn2scripts/343/index.html. I wasn't using the 'Plot Fixes' plugin, but it sounds like this is the same problem. I haven't used the toolset, so I'm not sure how the user (redrake) managed to fix the issue, but maybe it will help with finding a solution...

redrake: Just ran into that in my game, so I cracked open the toolset and I think I've figured out the bug.

Obsidian (presumably accidentally) set the "on enter" script to this area to the same filename used for the "on enter" script for the Lower Vault in Shadow Mulsantir (b08_client_enter). Ordinarily this isn't a problem because the two files will never exist at once, since they're in different modules. 

However, Plot Fixes overrides the Lower Vault entry script - and thus, when the Dream Betrayer's Gate loads, it'll execute the modded Lower Vault script, which doesn't spawn Araman - so the player can't continue.

Since we can't exactly distribute a patched Sunken City module, the fix will have to be some kind of script that combines the Lower Vault and Dream Betrayer's Gate entry scripts so that both areas can call it without problems. I've tested one in my current game and Araman does spawn and let the game continue, but I still need to see if it causes any weirdness in the Lower Vault (though I expect it won't.)

Okay, figured it out. For me, it was being caused by the 'MOTB Enhanced Edition' add-on. Here are the steps to fix it:

1.) Remove any add-ons, custom plugins, mods, etc. Make sure the Override folder is empty, you're using the original campaign folder, and so on.

2.) Start from a save before you enter the Skein, maybe even before you enter the beach area. Luckily, I had one from the dream sequence where you get the 2nd mask piece, which wasn't too far back.