Should I rush and get all 8 companions or just gather as I go along?

The reason I'm asking is because I followed the advice in this steam guide to get the companions early, only one problem, I ended up triggering a map encounter which is three levels higher than my party's actual level. The particular encounter is avoidable, so, it's not a gamekiller (I do have to be careful however)

So, basically I'm asking, is it worth it to try and grab them quickly (at least the first four anyway) or if it doesn't matter? Like if the problem that the person who posted the guide (which is over two years old, don't know why I didn't notice that the first time) doesn't exist anymore.

• Like 1

For me it depends on if this is your first playthough or what kind of playthrough you are doing. I do that more now if i am trying to build a particular party because i have gone through the game several times but if you havent played the game before i wouldnt be in a rush because you may want to take some time with each character to see if you like them. Also there are actually 11 characters not 8 if you have White March expansions.

• Like 1

It's my first time playing, yeah, just thought maybe it'd be good to get all 8 of the characters before I got too high a level. Or is the level thing (mainly what the author of the guide was compaining about) not a problem anymore? Considering that the guide hasn't been updated in almost two years.

If you are worried about companions autoleveling there is an option to turn that off under the difficulty options. So you can level them the way you want when you find them. If that is what you mean. Since this is your first playthrough i wouldnt meta game to much about story stuff. You will get a chance to find all of them. Also if you are having a hard time early on you can hire mercenaries at the inns to round out your party until you find companions you need.

Edited by draego

I wouldn't rush to get them unless you really want or need a full 6 member party. For your first playthrough, getting them as you come across them does give you time to get to know each character and how to use them before you have to manage 6 characters. I'm actually fond of small parties (three or four). I feel like I use them each more fully than when I split my attention across 6.

Joe

I typically do several quests without picking up anyone, then when I start to run into a little bit of a brick wall (I play on PotD) I will pick up Eder, Aloth and Durance, and then keep playing until around level 6 or so when I finally pick up a couple others, like Kana, Hiravias, and/or Grieving Mother.

You get more individual XP with fewer people and the people you recruit are the same level you are when you recruit them. So you can ahead of the game a little this way, which on PotD helps, but of course on lower difficulties is just not necessary.

So I guess really it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish with your play through.

• Like 1