DONATIONS CLOSED - Brace yourselves, the Black isle Bastards are coming!

Let's create an item for the Black Isle Bastards! What kind of item should it be?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of unique equipment for the Black Isle Bastards should we fund with the "Create an item" tier?

2. 2. Should the special piece of equipment (completely or partly) be made of obsidian (if applicable)?

3. 3. Are you aware that voting here will achieve nothing since this campaign ended a very long time ago?

It's not just the other "Create and Item" backers we have to think it about, it's Obsidian, too! And Obsidian is most likely to create more weapons, armors, and shields--and perhaps through boots and rings in there--then just about anything else.

Well I would guess that Obsidian is interested in a more or less balanced amount of different types of items.

So just as a thought:

Imagine all the backers of the "create an item" tier would want to create weapons.

Then I think Obsidian themselves would add less weapons created by themselves but instead other type of equipment.

Imagine on the other hand all of the "create an item" tier backers would want a trinket, nobody would want to make a weapon.

Then I think Obsidian would make less trinkets on their own, but more weapons instead.

So I think Obsidian will have a look at what those backers wish to add to the game. And upon those choices they will then decide what to add by themselves.

Because what would be the point in adding even more weapons if almost all backers of that tier wanted to add weapons anyway.

So I guess/hope we can trust Obsidian that they'd try to balance that out to a certain degree.

In a perfect world, maybe, but that's not how it *ever* works out. There's 30 cloaks in PoE, but I stopped counting when I hit 60 melee weapons in the Pillars of Eternity list. You have so many weapon types, and you need at least a few of each type, etc. Same with armors and shields, and you need lots of rings because you have two ring slots and you want variety.

• Like 4

In a perfect world, maybe, but that's not how it *ever* works out. There's 30 cloaks in PoE, but I stopped counting when I hit 60 melee weapons in the Pillars of Eternity list. You have so many weapon types, and you need at least a few of each type, etc. Same with armors and shields, and you need lots of rings because you have two ring slots and you want variety.

I wanted to do an extra "item" tier myself, but I couldn't justify the cost based on what I had already backed for.... and getting it done would be "complicated".  If I had though I was hoping for an eyepatch.

So yeah, don't expect everyone backing items to be backing for a weapon.  They won't be.

If this hasn't hit the 750 by say friday I will throw some money at it, should have another check in the bank by then.  Grats to getting the 5k at all, though I have to wonder about the person who put in 1600 :p

• Like 3

I've said this before but while I really like the obsidian bastard sword conceptually, at this point I'd prefer we make an item that would seem more likely to get used. Maybe that's not a concern many people have but I'm sure we won't be lacking for options when it comes to melee weapons... and I'm willing to go out on a limb and guess that most people will likely use soulbound and/or intelligent weapons so our lower tier weapon would mostly be wasted.

• Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

My vote is for an obsidian amulet that carries a curse (because black things must always carry a curse, right?). It would be fun to have the curse tie in somehow to their back-story as a pirate band, and possibly as bastards.

Fluffle, you're awesome -- thanks for doing this.

Ring, Amulet, Boots, Cloaks or Gloves.

Because one of those are most general in a way that any class (race too. Remember, Godlikes can't use helmets/hats) or character type could equip it.

Edit: Maybe even cursed some way, that way it could be a couple power levels stronger at some sort of expense/drawback (granted that cursed items are a thing).

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 2

Okay, I don't have much time right now.

But let me tell you...

WE ARE FUNDED! Yes our stretchgoal too.

That's why I am closing the donations now!

I thank everyone of you for your generous donations. And especially our anonymous donator who once again decided to release a batch of $333.

Whoever you are, we love you and we want to have your babies :wub:

Thank you all very much!

So what we did accomplish: We have a forum Black Isle Bastard badge to identify ourselves as Black Isle Bastards on this forum. We will be given a Black Isle for free in Pillars of Eternity 2, although mind you it will be a tiny island. We have managed to fund the Black Isle Bastards pirate group for Pillars of Eternity 2.

And we additionally have funded an item for our pirate group!

We have accomplished A LOT! THAT IS AWESOME! You guys rock! And thanks to all of you again!

• Like 11

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Update on the poll:

I made a small update on the poll. Since nobody has voted for belt or gloves I combined them into one option and I used the new free slot for "trinket".

So for everyone of you who'd like to vote for "trinket" please revisit the poll. :)

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I guess we cant get the 5k to get an inn on our 5k pirate island, can we? 

The island was for free. We didn't pay anything for that. Obsidian gave it to us as a gift.

About the inn. If we do want an inn on our island then we need to contact a backer of that tier. I actually have someone in mind who should be interested, I hope.

But mind you, because the island is so small it can only support one structure at most. And a ship does count as a structure in this context.

That means, if we want an inn on the Black Isle, then we cannot place our ship there.

So then it would be more likely that you meet the Black Isle Bastards on sea.

• Like 1

Huh? I was just about to donate another batch. How dare you, anonymous patron! ;)

Well, more toys for my children I guess.  :thumbsup:

Now voted for trinket. But there it's even more difficult to know what is allowed and what not. But since OBS won't have to create 3D-models and animations around trinkets (like they would have to do with weapons, hats, cloaks and armors) I guess there are less boundaries...? Maybe Aarik will know.

• Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Huh? I was just about to donate another batch. How dare you, anonymous patron! ;)

Well, more toys for my children I guess. :thumbsup:

Now voted for trinket. But there it's even more difficult to know what is allowed and what not. But since OBS won't have to create 3D-models and animations around trinkets (like they would have to do with weapons, hats, cloaks and armors) I guess there are less boundaries...? Maybe Aarik will know.

For what it's worth, at least the item description will know no limits and will allow us to discharge the full extent of our creative energies :).

• Like 3

Well, more toys for my children I guess.  :thumbsup:

I know someone who would have donated too...

LOL In the end maybe we could have reached even two items.

But I think it's best to stop at one point. There is this saying that you should know when to stop and that should be when you're at the top (usually referring to your career but still...).

We never planned to go so far in the first place. It's amazing and also humbling that so many people have taken an interest in this and donated so generously.

So I wanted to close the donation and end it in a huge success rather than trying to reach too high and end in a failure.

Lots of thanks again to you guys :wub:

What's next? I'll be very busy until Friday. But then this weekend I'll sort everything out and make some plans, organizing stuff etc and of course make the actual purchase of our tiers!

Then there's still the matter of the donator recognition and the matter of updating your "Deadfire Backer Badge" if you so wish and if you qualify for that.

• Like 3

Okay, I don't have much time right now.

But let me tell you...

WE ARE FUNDED! Yes our stretchgoal too.

That's why I am closing the donations now!

I thank everyone of you for your generous donations. And especially our anonymous donator who once again decided to release a batch of $333.

Whoever you are, we love you and we want to have your babies :wub:

Thank you all very much!

So what we did accomplish: We have a forum Black Isle Bastard badge to identify ourselves as Black Isle Bastards on this forum. We will be given a Black Isle for free in Pillars of Eternity 2, although mind you it will be a tiny island. We have managed to fund the Black Isle Bastards pirate group for Pillars of Eternity 2.

And we additionally have funded an item for our pirate group!

We have accomplished A LOT! THAT IS AWESOME! You guys rock! And thanks to all of you again!

Amazing! Well done all

• Like 2

I guess we cant get the 5k to get an inn on our 5k pirate island, can we? 

The island was for free. We didn't pay anything for that. Obsidian gave it to us as a gift.

About the inn. If we do want an inn on our island then we need to contact a backer of that tier. I actually have someone in mind who should be interested, I hope.

But mind you, because the island is so small it can only support one structure at most. And a ship does count as a structure in this context.

That means, if we want an inn on the Black Isle, then we cannot place our ship there.

So then it would be more likely that you meet the Black Isle Bastards on sea.

It would be nice if we could get a write up of the variable options that we could pursue. Perhaps with some "guiding" constrains from Obsidian so we aren't shooting in the dark. Inns are cool, but they use a lot of art resources and ultimately tend not to offer much content. If we could have something more custom and thematic I'd say that is the way to go. But I also don't know what I'm talking about because I have no idea what any of my postulating actually pertains to.

I came to check the dead line and discovered it was over. Feeling good for the goal reached and bad for not contributing. :huh:

As a thought as someone who didn't participated, by the nature of the fundraising a item that could be useful for any class would be great.

Edited by ilhdr