DONATIONS CLOSED - Brace yourselves, the Black isle Bastards are coming!

Let's create an item for the Black Isle Bastards! What kind of item should it be?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of unique equipment for the Black Isle Bastards should we fund with the "Create an item" tier?

2. 2. Should the special piece of equipment (completely or partly) be made of obsidian (if applicable)?

3. 3. Are you aware that voting here will achieve nothing since this campaign ended a very long time ago?

Or an amulet, belt or any similar item that incorporates this fantastic design of the Black Isle logo as an obsidian inlay (Assuming they have the rights to use the Black Isle logo).

That is the problem here. You can safely assume that they do NOT have the rights to use the Black Isle Logo.

I would love if we could use that logo, especially for the sails of our ship, how awesome would that be?

But I think it's a safe bet that we cannot use that logo.

We could probably use the logo of our Black Isle Bastards badge if you guys like that.

• Like 3

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Or an amulet, belt or any similar item that incorporates this fantastic design of the Black Isle logo as an obsidian inlay (Assuming they have the rights to use the Black Isle logo).

That is the problem here. You can safely assume that they do NOT have the rights to use the Black Isle Logo.

I would love if we could use that logo, especially for the sails of our ship, how awesome would that be?

But I think it's a safe bet that we cannot use that logo.

We could probably use the logo of our Black Isle Bastards badge if you guys like that.

You're right. But I have an idea.

The closest thing Obsidian has to a "logo" is the letter "o" in a special font, right?

1CCvJjC1_400x400.jpg

This would be subtle. Not everybody would get it. But make an ornate wooden shield with an obsidian inlay, blending into that special "O" character that is the "Obsidian" logo. The Black Isle Bastards special item is an Obsidian shield, perhaps once per encounter it summons a bear when critically struck.

I already have a mousepad so you can scratch me from the lottery :)

So you're also not interested in the additional game copies? I'm just asking to make sure.

Ah, yes. You can scratch me from the lottery altogether :)

Me too please

Guys, what are you doing? :p

First of all if you would like me to scratch you from the lottery I need your name or your email address on my paypal list. You can send them to me via PM. If you would rather not do that I understand that, but then I cannot scratch you from the list.

Secondly, this feels a bit awkward. We have that lottery and people start to not want it. It is okay, you may have your reasons. Still it feels a bit awkward to me. But of course I will respect your wishes if you provide me with the necessary information mentioned above.

I already have a few copies coming my way for everyone I know. I give a lot of games away (see the link at the bottom of the post) and it seems wrong for me to win another copy only to give that away randomly.

I just wanted to participate 

participation1-680x365.jpg

Free games updated 3/4/21

I'd rather not use the logo. I like having a theme that relates to the imagery of the logo. The storm.

So cloudy dark particle effects and lightning. That would be cool. It's not too game breaking, it's rather dazzling, and it's a less blunt reference that will still be understood by fans.

The affects could be applied to armor, weapons, or perhaps a summon/pet.

You'll find the item on a black isle, that's good enough. It could have been imbued with some sort of power from a soul storm (Ocean Bîaŵac anyone?) Such details could be explained in the item's description.

• Like 2

Secondly, this feels a bit awkward. We have that lottery and people start to not want it. It is okay, you may have your reasons. Still it feels a bit awkward to me. But of course I will respect your wishes if you provide me with the necessary information mentioned above.

It's to give others higher chances, and I would be giving away the extra copy regardless (same thing with the mousepad, already have an Eternity mousepad, and looking at my pledge it looks like I'll be getting a Deadfire mousepad too, unless it is the same)  :) so giving me an extra copy in a lottery is to give me a copy to give away in another lottery xD

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

What about a nice beard

Fixed it (I'm also very tired xD)

​"Wtf beard?" *re-reads* "Oh..."

​The obsidian gem/ring/amulet/insignia thing sounds cool imo.

​Also, what if the item could be a morphing item? Forge it at the Black Isle, decide whether it's going to be a Sword, Axe, Dagger, Poleaxe, etc. or etch it into a ring, or amulet, etc.

​Someone mentioned lightsaber, and I started thinking now "What if it's a ring, and it's capable of manifesting a light, an illusion of a weapon". A Lightaxe, Lightsword, Lightdagger etc. the Player would get to decide which form it takes (to accomodate most playstyles). Maybe it could even have a Per Rest ability "Summon" or "Conjure", and either it takes up the characters weapon slot when summoned/conjured, or simply floating/hovering (Dancing Blades~).

Extremely complicated, although *very* cool.
Forgot about this... (*scratches head* started answering but forgot to press post way back when?)

Take Concelhauts Parasitic Staff, change Object variable into Player Input (instead of the Staff, a choice of generic weapon type, no fancy vfx, presented to the Player).

Then, change the name of the Spell into appropriate BIB item.

Then, attach said spell to a ring, or an amulet, give the spell a Per Rest value, or Resource Cost value, whatever is easiest.

I'm simplifying lots, but the jist of it, might not be too hard.

IIRC, in POE you had several items that had Spell Abilities attached to them (allowing Eder to cast Fireball with his sword, for instance).

And IIRC, casting Parasitic Staff as Wizard, would conjure it in uou active weapon slot.

Basically, if Obsidian has Parasitic Staff or any Conjured Weapon Spell in Deadfire, then making a "Light/Illusion Saber" narratively (item description) come out of a ring shouldn't be too complicated.

Edited by Osvir

Hahaha. Blends very well with my "Obsidian Animat" suggestion. :)

Wait - since a lot of people complained about not having a dwarf as companion maybe this could be a dwarven obsidian Feargus...

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Hi everyone,

just dropping by quickly to tell you that I am very very busy in my private life (because of my studies).

So I will manage this project on the weekends. But I may not be here every weekend. Just letting you know ;)

Love, Fluffe

• Like 6

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

just dropping by quickly to tell you that I am very very busy in my private life (because of my studies).

Life is the real rpg, gotta pay your respects to the original.

Hope he rolls a natural 20.

• Like 3

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Life is the real rpg, gotta pay your respects to the original.

Hope he rolls a natural 20.

For a long time I was just : "what the hell is a natural 20"? Then I started playing D&D with some friends and life finally made sense.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a thought

I hope this doesn't sound ****-ish

Maybe like, in game, on the Black Isle Bastard ship, there could be a list of 'Bastards Come and Gone'

and you could use the names of everyone who helped fund the Bastards.

Just a thought.

It is human nature to seek culpability in a time of tragedy. It is a sign of strength to cry out against fate, rather than to bow one’s head and succumb. Inevitably many will fault the hands upon the sword which felled Typhon, the Ordo Malleus. But the Inquisition merely performs the duty of its office. To further fear them is redundant; to hate them, heretical. Those more sensible will place responsibility with those who forced the hands of the Inquisition. With some fortune, they may foster this hatred into purpose, and further rule their own fate by coming to the Emperor’s service.

Yet ultimately, it was I who set these events into motion, with a single blow from my hammer, God Splitter.

-Gabriel Angelos, of the Blood Ravens 4th Company

This was discussed before; some people liked it, some people didn't. I don't know that any final call was reached.

Check the second post of this thread in the future.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

This was discussed before; some people liked it, some people didn't. I don't know that any final call was reached.

Check the second post of this thread in the future.

Totally forgot about that. Danke.

A Captains log of everybody the BIB has plundered/pillaged of coin :p

But I go back to my older thoughts and sentiments, would rather not see any forum names in-game (unless they fit thematically in-game).

Edited by Osvir

So guys,

things will become serious "soon"

This weekend I'll go through the threads and polls and collect our ideas.

The general idea of this project still stands of course: We want Obsidian to work out the Black Isle Bastards, but we do provide some general, rough ideas for that.

Business list for me:

- collecting ideas and poll results

- setting up the ingame recognition

- handling the upgrade of the Deadfire Backer Badge if anyone would like that

I will probably send an email to all backers to explain the last two points.

Should I have missed/forgotten anything NOW is the time to remind me, please ;)

For the lottery I think it'd be best to wait. The lottery contains 2 digital game copies and 1 mouse pad.

So we would have to wait until the release of the game. That's a long while.

For everyone who participates in the lottery, please make sure you don't lose your email address with which you pledged on PayPal for this project.

In the next weeks I will probably receive surveys to fill out for our item and the bastards. And maybe I'll even have mic chat with one of the designers.

If there is anything important left to say concerning ideas for the bastards or the item that hasn't been said yet, then please do so NOW. ;)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have triple-checked now. We actually do have exactly 66 backers (yes, myself included). Previously I had counted 67, but that was wrong.

So I corrected the numbers on the opening post!

Ingame Recognition for our backers, how it will work:

The Black Isle Bastards keep records of their most curious victims. The victims might be especially wealthy, or just have an odd appearance or some special kind of loot or something else notably. This ingame recognition is about text only. It will not add any item other than probably a book/list with the records itself to the game.

Prerequisite: You donated at least 10$ to our cause (if you donated less, you can still hand in your submission, but don't get your hopes up too high, sorry). The Black Isle Bastards badge does not count for this because it never had to do anything with our campaign.

We are restricted to 50 records of victims. If more than 50 of our backers submit then Obsidian will choose the ones they like best.

So, you can describe one of the victims of the Black Isle Bastards. The victim may be based on you but does not have to be.

You can pick two of the following four categories:

- description of robbed individual

- specific lore friendly name of robbed individual

- robbed individual's fate

- taken possessions

Please make ONE coherent record entry that describes a victim of the Black Isle Bastards. You don't make separate entries for 2 of the 4 categories, but rather ONE complete entry that contains information on 2 of the 4 categories.

Your overall message must NOT exceed 80 characters.

Also note: Obsidian is free to alter/change your submission as they see fit. There will be absolutely no guarantee that:

1.) Your submission will make it into the records

2.) Your submission will make it into the records unchanged

The submissions should fit into the game. Therefore Obsidian is free to reject or alter them.

Please send your submission to BlackIsleBastards@gmail.com with the SAME email-address with which you donated to our campaign (otherwise I will not accept it unless we find another way of identification).

Also you are free to make teams with other backers. The Black Isle Bastards do not only rob individuals but also groups of people of course.

So if you'd like to be in a group, that got robbed by the Black Isle Bastards, with another backer that is possible.

The character limit will add up. And you can use the combined length of the character limit to describe your group (you are then not necessarily bound anymore to choosing two of the 4 categories above).

This will require some additional administration effort for me, so I'd say if you're interested in making a group with someone, let us know in this thread, or message me per PM.

Let me know, if anything has been left unclear. Cheers :)

The deadline for handing in the submissions is: 10th July 23:59 PM (GMT+2)

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 4