DONATIONS CLOSED - Brace yourselves, the Black isle Bastards are coming!

Let's create an item for the Black Isle Bastards! What kind of item should it be?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of unique equipment for the Black Isle Bastards should we fund with the "Create an item" tier?

2. 2. Should the special piece of equipment (completely or partly) be made of obsidian (if applicable)?

3. 3. Are you aware that voting here will achieve nothing since this campaign ended a very long time ago?

Keep in mind the restrictions. Any item that can summon something has the natural restriction that this "something" has to have been implemented in the game already.

So to say, let's imagine we wanted an obsidian figurine that could summon a badger. Obsidian would probably only do that if badgers were already part of the game.

I'm pretty sure they would not design a new animal just for us. The same would probably apply to any item with any other spell effect. That spell effect would have to have been implemented already.

On the matter of badgers themselves: they're awesome, I like them, but I must also say I like beavers even more.

But beavers are almost always neglected in RPGs :(

As a Canadian, I approve of this message. More beavers in RPGs!!!

• Like 1

If it summons something, I'd want our item to be the only item that summons that class of animal or beast.

I wonder if they could add particle effects to it for us. An Obsidian Beaver with maybe some cloud and lightning effects. Sort of like the Ol' Black Isle logo.

• Like 1

Also I do like the idea of a creature that is only knee high. So Beaver works. Wolverine would be cool too. Lynx. I dunno, I'm feeling North American creatures at the moment. But if the game will be more tropical, maybe an Ant Eater, Tapir, whatever they got for us.

Fluffle you need to get a scoop on options.

• Like 2

Blade of the First Bastard

"Many years ago, a noblemen sired a son with his mistress, and upon discovering her pregnancy, disowned the woman and her unborn child. As the years went by, the boy grew to be a thief, a crook, and a general menace to society as a whole. Upon the death of his mother he learned the truth of his lineage from her will, and went out in search of his father. When he found his father and was prompted turned away, he struck his father down with an ornate, obsidian long sword that hung on a nearby wall. The boy fled, sword still in hand, and stole a ship that belonged to his father. Over the years this bastard would find others like him, children disowned by noble families; and together they would form the Black Isle Bastards. A crew of cut throat pirates that ransacked the ships of nobles all across the seas. Although the first Bastard eventually passed, his legends, and his crew would live on. This sword hung in the captains quarters for many years before it was passed onto you, the Watcher."

Not a very good story, and kinda long. But I've had that sitting in my head for a while and thought someone here might get a kick out of it.

I left out any real names or places, just in case Fluffy Senpai notices me.

• Like 4

It is human nature to seek culpability in a time of tragedy. It is a sign of strength to cry out against fate, rather than to bow one’s head and succumb. Inevitably many will fault the hands upon the sword which felled Typhon, the Ordo Malleus. But the Inquisition merely performs the duty of its office. To further fear them is redundant; to hate them, heretical. Those more sensible will place responsibility with those who forced the hands of the Inquisition. With some fortune, they may foster this hatred into purpose, and further rule their own fate by coming to the Emperor’s service.

Yet ultimately, it was I who set these events into motion, with a single blow from my hammer, God Splitter.

-Gabriel Angelos, of the Blood Ravens 4th Company

"Many years ago, a noblemen sired a son with his mistress, and upon discovering her pregnancy, disowned the woman and her unborn child. As the years went by, the boy grew to be a thief, a crook, and a general menace to society as a whole. Upon the death of his mother he learned the truth of his lineage from her will, and went out in search of his father. When he found his father and was prompted turned away, he struck his father down with an ornate, obsidian long sword that hung on a nearby wall. The boy fled, sword still in hand, and stole a ship that belonged to his father. Over the years this bastard would find others like him, children disowned by noble families; and together they would form the Black Isle Bastards. A crew of cut throat pirates that ransacked the ships of nobles all across the seas. Although the first Bastard eventually passed, his legends, and his crew would live on. This sword hung in the captains quarters for many years before it was passed onto you, the Watcher."

Not a very good story, and kinda long. But I've had that sitting in my head for a while and thought someone here might get a kick out of it.

I left out any real names or places, just in case Fluffy Senpai notices me.

I dig it. It could do with some editing, of course, but as a first pass it's not bad at all.

Edited by Katarack21

Getting some Dread Pirate Roberts vibe from that.

"The First Bastard wasn't actually the first bastard at all. He was bequeathed the title from The First Bastard. Who also wasn't the first bastard either... But here is the sword that allegedly did belong to the real First Bastard, who probably stole it from some poor kith who wasn't a bastard at all!"

• Like 1

Getting some Dread Pirate Roberts vibe from that.

"The First Bastard wasn't actually the first bastard at all. He was bequeathed the title from The First Bastard. Who also wasn't the first bastard either... But here is the sword that allegedly did belong to the real First Bastard, who probably stole it from some poor kith who wasn't a bastard at all!"

"Was he kith? I assure you, he was in fact a real bastard."

(...)  This sword hung in the captains quarters for many years before it was passed onto you, the Watcher."

Cool. But what if you want to give it to someone other than The Watcher?

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I voted ranged weapon but my actual choice would be between pistol or cutlass.  A blade made out of obsidian and decorated with shark's teeth and shells and the like for a cutlass while for a pistol the wheellock firing mechanism made out of obsidian.

Edited by FlintlockJazz
  • Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

So as I had announced I have upped our pledge a bit which then left us at $77.79 . And from that amount I bought 3 addons:

2 additional copies of Pillars 2 and... 1 Mousepad! Which all in all costs $77.

So now we have $0.79 left and I will shamelessly keep that for myself :p

These three addons will be put into a lottery and then given to 3 of our donators by chance.

I myself will not participate in the lottery because I'm organizing it.

There's one catch though:

For the mouse pad I'm gonna need the winner's address of course.

And for the extra digital copies I would like the winners to confirm getting the digital code from me within a certain time frame.

I don't want to send out the digital codes and never hear from the winners whether they actually received it or not.

So if they win the codes and I send them to them and they never confirm receiving them then I might give the codes to other donators.

The lottery has NOT started yet. I'll let you know when the lottery starts.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 2

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

In case I would win this mousepad I hereby would like to give it away to Katarack21.

I will do the same if I'd win. Heh, we're increasing Katarack21's odds here. :)

• Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

In case I would win this mousepad I hereby would like to give it away to Katarack21.

I will do the same if I'd win. Heh, we're increasing Katarack21's odds here. :)

I will also do the same!  (As I live in the UK, the international shipping costs would probably pay for another mousemat).

• Like 3

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Just out of curiosity, how much of a say do you get in the overall design of the BIBs?

It is human nature to seek culpability in a time of tragedy. It is a sign of strength to cry out against fate, rather than to bow one’s head and succumb. Inevitably many will fault the hands upon the sword which felled Typhon, the Ordo Malleus. But the Inquisition merely performs the duty of its office. To further fear them is redundant; to hate them, heretical. Those more sensible will place responsibility with those who forced the hands of the Inquisition. With some fortune, they may foster this hatred into purpose, and further rule their own fate by coming to the Emperor’s service.

Yet ultimately, it was I who set these events into motion, with a single blow from my hammer, God Splitter.

-Gabriel Angelos, of the Blood Ravens 4th Company

I already have a mousepad so you can scratch me from the lottery :)

So you're also not interested in the additional game copies? I'm just asking to make sure.

Just out of curiosity, how much of a say do you get in the overall design of the BIBs?

Well there is one basic ground rule: We do not pay for playing developers or designers. That is what Obsidian will do.

But we could provide input in form of suggestions about:

- races and classes of the members

- the names of the members

- lore of the pirate band

- appearances of the pirates

- probably also their equipment/loot

- to a certain degree we might hand in suggestions about our ship

- suggestions how the player can interact with the pirates

The list may not be complete. There may be things that I simply haven't thought of. But this whole campaign here is based on the idea that we will leave the design to Obsidian anyway. Because they know how to tell a story and they know best how to fit a pirate band seamlessly into their game.

So in the end they are the designers and they have the final say. But of course they will take our suggestions into consideration. So you should always feel free to make suggestions, post your ideas etc. But don't necessarily expect your ideas to make it into the game one by one. That may happen. It may not. Your ideas also may just serve as inspiration for other ideas.

It is pretty vague. And also there are no guarantees. And that does concern me a bit. And I think I have made that clear to Aarik and my impression was that he has understood that.

In the end we paid for something of which we don't know how exactly it is going to turn out. And such a purchase can only work with a lot of trust. And in the end based on Pillars of Eternity 1 I do trust Obsidian, that they can create a great, memorable pirate group for us.

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

As for my watcher badge, I asked Aarik if I could keep it and yes he said I could. I will keep it and treasure it as a reward for running this campaign. I will see it as a gift from you guys. Because I wouldn't have earned it by my donation alone :)

And you guys can still upgrade your Deadfire Backer Badges if you'd like that and if you're eligible for it.

• Like 2

So you're also not interested in the additional game copies? I'm just asking to make sure.

Ah, yes. You can scratch me from the lottery altogether :)

So I did some quick'n dirty vector graphics to show what I meant with the "standard shape" and the "obsidian edge + inlays" in one of my previous posts. In this case it's the model/shape of a fine great sword in PoE, no changes to the shape, only the textures. This could be done to any weapon with a blade, not only great swords. Of course great swords has the biggest "blade canvas":  ;)

bib_obs_sword.png?dl=1

This could be ivory + obsidian or so...

What do you think?

Fantastic job folks!

I agree with the sentiment that we should pick an item that can be used by any character, regardless of class or race. That would exclude headgear and make weapons, armour and shields problematic. The obsidian inlay sword idea is awesome, and the design there is a sweet homage. Maybe it can be transitioned to some other kind of item. Say, an obsidian figurine that is equipped into a quick-item slot that summons a free-fighting sword from obsidian infused wood/ivory (Assuming that they have a free-fighting weapon again). Or an amulet, belt or any similar item that incorporates this fantastic design of the Black Isle logo as an obsidian inlay (Assuming they have the rights to use the Black Isle logo).

Edited by Freyjai

Me too please

Free games updated 3/4/21

Me too please

Guys, what are you doing? :p

First of all if you would like me to scratch you from the lottery I need your name or your email address on my paypal list. You can send them to me via PM. If you would rather not do that I understand that, but then I cannot scratch you from the list.

Secondly, this feels a bit awkward. We have that lottery and people start to not want it. It is okay, you may have your reasons. Still it feels a bit awkward to me. But of course I will respect your wishes if you provide me with the necessary information mentioned above.

Edited by Fluffle