DONATIONS CLOSED - Brace yourselves, the Black isle Bastards are coming!

Let's create an item for the Black Isle Bastards! What kind of item should it be?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of unique equipment for the Black Isle Bastards should we fund with the "Create an item" tier?

2. 2. Should the special piece of equipment (completely or partly) be made of obsidian (if applicable)?

3. 3. Are you aware that voting here will achieve nothing since this campaign ended a very long time ago?

I've been trying to figure out the last couple days if there has been any iconic Obsidian game weapons. So far I haven't been able to come up with anything. The closest weapons I could come up with are the tranq pistol from AP, and the C-Finder. Of course, neither of things would fit in the Pillars setting. Any thoughts?

Would the "trinket" be "formable"? Iirc, all classes have different trinkets (Grimoire will be in the trinket slot)

If that's the case then I think I need to change my vote back to amulet or maybe a ring because I'd prefer it we made an item that can be used by all classes and races (the life of a godlike milliner is a tough one).

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Re voted for "other" due trinket sharing the grimoire slot.

I guess this should be a pet, like Concelhaut Skull.

Pets can barely influence on game balance, all characters can have them without any exceptions.

It can be a pirate golem with obsidian parts or something like that...

Done this with Moon Godlike Wizard

q22yrpP.png

Perebor steam

Oh...I see. Well...nix that, I guess.

Wait, uhm, does that many trinkets are class-specific? All of them?

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Oh...I see. Well...nix that, I guess.

Wait, uhm, does that many trinkets are class-specific? All of them?

Yeah, more or less. That's why I changed my vote yet again. First I picked a weapon and went for Obsidian as a prominent material for it.

But then, I reckoned trinket would be cool, till I realized they were class-specific, so now I definitely go for something more visually appealing and hopefully BiB-characteristic: a hat! :)

That godlikes can't used doesn't matter much, since most playthroughs will be with non-godlike chars for players, no? Therefore, I decided to drop the Obsidian material requirement too. Make it of whichever material, just make it dastardly Black-Isle-Bastards-cool! :skull:

And who can throw a glance at Fluffle's pirate avatar and not like that kind of fab tricorn?

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 5

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Dammit. We should ask if there can be trinkets that work for every class. Else I would convert that to an item that can go into a quick slot and has some uses per rest or per encounter (like figurines and stuff).

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Ahoy you bastards!

After having a good chat with the great Captain Fluffe, I wanted to give you all some guidelines to help you guys out on deciding what type of item you guys want and input you will have when this item is being created. 

• What item to choose (the hardest part).
  • What the item will look like? (Once you guys decide on on the item, the person speaking on behalf of the BIB will be able to select from a large number of preexisting meshes (there are a ton)).
    • A melee weapon made of obsidian is definitely doable. 
  • Ideas for history of the item (Lore)
  • Where the item will be placed in the world (Item can absolutely be placed with the BIB pirates)

The representative of the BIB (I'm guessing our great Captain Fluffle) will speak with our designers one-on-one to discuss your ideas and how we can best implement the item into the game within reason.

If you guys have any additional questions, feel free to hit me up on twitter, discord, DM, etc etc. 

Hope that helps!

• Like 11

After rethinking things through, I'm going back to my original concept of a simple melee weapon made of obsidian obtained from the local culture and given to the BIB pirate crew, and then given to the player from the BIB pirate crew. I think it's simple, direct, easy for Obsidian to do, a clear homage to Obisidain, fits with the BIB's overall theme, and keeps everything nice and direct.

I'm sticking with it this time. I'm done. This is it.

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 3

Interesting... Googling "obsidian light" led me to... the Charms of Light, healing properties of obsidian (basically esoteric stuff but I find it funny! No offense to anyone who believes in it):

"Obsidian is a volcanic glass.

Chakras - Base Chakra
Zodiac - Scorpio, Sagittarius
Element - Earth/Fire
Typical colours - Black, silvery or brown

Obsidian is truth-enhancing.  A strongly protective stone, it forms a shield against negativity.  It blocks psychic attack and absorbs negative energies from the environment.  Obsidian draws out mental stress and tension.  It stimulates growth on all levels, urging exploration of the unknown and opening new horizons.  Brings clarity to the mind and clears confusion.  Helps you to know who you truly are.  Obsidian dissolves emotional blockages and ancient traumas.  Promotes qualities of compassion and strength.

Obsidian aids the digestion and detoxifies.  It reduces arthritis pain, joint problems and cramps.  Warms the extremities."

Now tell me would you have known all these wonderful spiritual properties of obsidian?

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 5

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Would the BIB have the item, or would it be found in a treasure hunt?

I think that's up for discussion.

Discuss!

Discuss!

Is that even up to us? I think OBS should have the final say.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Discuss!

Is that even up to us? I think OBS should have the final say.

OBS always has the final say about everything we discuss and vote on. That doesn't mean that we can't discuss things and give Obsidian a bit input in form of ideas, polls and our discussions :)

• Like 2

Is the the final poll or will there be one more with just the top however many options?

No at the moment I haven't planned any further polls on that. So you may see it as the final poll.

But if enough people insisted on making a new poll after some time, I'd do it.

But keep in mind the nature of polls. People will not always get want they want. And Obsidian is not bound by the polls anyway.

So for me, personally, it is far more important that we get ANY cool item for the Black Isle Bastards than the specific nature of the item.

Of course, I do have a preference, but I wouldn't mind if the item was going to be something else.

That said, if melee weapon stays on top of this poll, I might add a new poll about which kind of melee weapon.

Edited by Fluffle

So one more thing I'd like to say.

This concerns @Messier-31 @Katarack21 @gogocactus and a few others:

Please consider buying the "Black Isle Bastard" forum badge after all. I know, I know "8 dollars for a bagdge". The thing is, I see the badge as more than "just being a forum badge".

We are the Black Isle Bastards on this forum and the badge does signify our membership. You guys have contributed to our cause with money and ideas and

you DO belong to us, no matter if you have the badge or not. But if you had the badge it would be clear for everyone else that you are part of us.

To me it feels wrong that you lack the badge. ;)

But it's okay if you would rather not spend 8$ I understand ;)

But just give it a thought because soon the slacker backer campaign ends.

• Like 2