DONATIONS CLOSED - Brace yourselves, the Black isle Bastards are coming!

Let's create an item for the Black Isle Bastards! What kind of item should it be?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of unique equipment for the Black Isle Bastards should we fund with the "Create an item" tier?

2. 2. Should the special piece of equipment (completely or partly) be made of obsidian (if applicable)?

3. 3. Are you aware that voting here will achieve nothing since this campaign ended a very long time ago?

At this point it should be mentioned, that every wholehearted pirate needs at least one ass-kicking boot, made of Xaurip-leather, soaked with saltwater, rum, blood and immorality.

Boots that give you Dragon Leap or Charge or Escape. Pretty handy when boarding ships *zoooom*! :)

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

A ship upgrade might be cool - like a crow's nest or sail made of rare, magic cloth or flag that improves speed or serves as some kind of talisman/ward against sea monsters.

Edited by Androoh
  • Like 1

So I did some quick'n dirty vector graphics to show what I meant with the "standard shape" and the "obsidian edge + inlays" in one of my previous posts. In this case it's the model/shape of a fine great sword in PoE, no changes to the shape, only the textures. This could be done to any weapon with a blade, not only great swords. Of course great swords has the biggest "blade canvas":  ;)

bib_obs_sword.png?dl=1

This could be ivory + obsidian or so...

What do you think?

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 5

Although....this would be the perfect opportunity to make the Black Isle Bastards Logbook as a unique trinket item, listing such past adventures as "Aldur's Hate", "Night's of the Old Vailin Republic" and "Blightwind Gale".

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 2

Although....this would be the perfect opportunity to make the Black Isle Bastards Logbook as a unique trinket item, listing such past adventures as "Aldur's Hate", "Night's of the Old Vailin Republic" and "Blightwind Gale".

Yeah - I also suggested that option in another thread. It would merge our "ingame-recognition-ledger" with a trinket item that gives a bonus. It would also be a bit more creative than a sword.

Yeah - I also suggested that option in another thread. It would merge our "ingame-recognition-ledger" with a trinket item that gives a bonus. It would also be a bit more creative than a sword.

I musta read your post and ruminated on it! I do think it's a better idea than Badass Sword #36.

I musta read your post and ruminated on it! I do think it's a better idea than Badass Sword #36.

On that topic, might I add that I would welcome anything more creative than Badass Sword #36 :).

Those of you who don't like the idea of "Badass Sword #36" - do you mean a sword specifically or any melee weapon for that matter?

So would you dislike "Badass Melee Weapon #36" just as much?

I'm just wondering, because at the moment the melee weapon is leading in the poll.

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Those of you who don't like the idea of "Badass Sword #36" - do you mean a sword specifically or any melee weapon for that matter?

So would you dislike "Badass Melee Weapon #36" just as much?

I'm just wondering, because at the moment the melee weapon is leading in the poll.

I originally voted melee weapon, but after a couple days thought deleted my voted and revoted "other" if that tells you anything.

I suspect that the list of melee weapons given to choose from will be relatively generic so as to be very easily implemented--the same weapons that there will be ten million other enchanted versions of.

I'd like to see our item stand out. An enchanted tri-fold hat, battered and beaten with all the the adventures it's been through (bonuses to elemental endurance?). An enchanted quill pen, capable only of writing the names of places you've already been (bonus to intelligence?). An enchanted map, showing only the places the Black Isle Bastards have yet to explore (bonus to resolve?). Etc, etc.

• Like 1

I guess that should be an obsidian trinket... Just to fit any character.

What item can unite games of my youth like Fallout 2 ♥; Planescape: Torment ♥; Icewind Dale ♥ and others...?

Edited by Nail

Done this with Moon Godlike Wizard

q22yrpP.png

Perebor steam

I understand the wish that our item should stand out but there are a few things to consider, that work - to a certain degree - against that wish.

The more specified and sophisticated i.e. complex an idea is the more likely the devs will not do it.

As I have said before it may very well be the case that we get to choose from pre-selected sets of items in other categories just as well.

The wish to have a unique, outstanding item can mean a lot of more work for the developers. And as such I fear based on that alone many too complex ideas would be rejected. As we have seen in the case of the Macuahuitl.

The other thing to consider is that we are of course not the only ones who pledge for the "create an item" tier. I don't know how many other backers of that tier there are, but there are some of them. And I imagine everyone wants to create THAT unique, outstanding item that people will talk about in years to come.

Certainly I do want that too for the Black Isle Bastards. But at the same time I'm aware of the limitations. It's an act of balance in that regard.

In the end I think we'll manage to get a pretty cool item. But it may not win the award of the most outstanding unique item in all video games of all times.

Of course I exaggerated here a bit to make my point.

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Well... sh*t. I wanted to check how's the campaign going and I almost spit my coffe when I saw that it has ended and we're already gathering money for another strech goal.

I didn't have the chance to say it in the previous, now closed topic, co I will say it now.

Fluffle, You have my sincire gratitude for rolling this campaing. I always wanted to be some sort of patron of arts, co-finance a campaign and have a contribution in some fundraising. Thanks to You one of my wishes camed true, and thanks to everybody who pledged the THING will happen! I'm really happy we made it, in huge part due to our magnificent anonymous donator (a Leaden Key member maybe? :D)

Really thank You guys and I know whatever will be decided here and will turn out, will be magnificent :)

Now, when I will play the game and meet the BIB, although there won't be any "Korin" mentioned, I will imagine I am (or I was, depending what Obsidian will manage) one of those guys, on that ship in that world, meeting with the heroes of Dyrwood.

THANK YOU

Edited by Korin_Haller
  • Like 5

I understand the wish that our item should stand out but there are a few things to consider, that work - to a certain degree - against that wish.

The more specified and sophisticated i.e. complex an idea is the more likely the devs will not do it.

As I have said before it may very well be the case that we get to choose from pre-selected sets of items in other categories just as well.

The wish to have a unique, outstanding item can mean a lot of more work for the developers. And as such I fear based on that alone many too complex ideas would be rejected. As we have seen in the case of the Macuahuitl.

The other thing to consider is that we are of course not the only ones who pledge for the "create an item" tier. I don't know how many other backers of that tier there are, but there are some of them. And I imagine everyone wants to create THAT unique, outstanding item that people will talk about in years to come.

Certainly I do want that too for the Black Isle Bastards. But at the same time I'm aware of the limitations. It's an act of balance in that regard.

In the end I think we'll manage to get a pretty cool item. But it may not win the award of the most outstanding unique item in all video games of all times.

Of course I exaggerated here a bit to make my point.

'Tis all very true, but I do think that the opportunity for a unique, memorable item increases in the "trinket" slot or, indeed, the farther we stat away from "weapon" , "armor" or "shield". Those are the slots that most of the created items will most likely fall into, and thus the slots that created items will be most likely to vanish into.

All I'm saying is that if we want our item to stand out, it's a good idea to both be creative within the boundaries we are given and to try and stay away from the most commonly used slots that will see a glut of items.

• Like 3

'Tis all very true, but I do think that the opportunity for a unique, memorable item increases in the "trinket" slot or, indeed, the farther we stat away from "weapon" , "armor" or "shield". Those are the slots that most of the created items will most likely fall into, and thus the slots that created items will be most likely to vanish into.

All I'm saying is that if we want our item to stand out, it's a good idea to both be creative within the boundaries we are given and to try and stay away from the most commonly used slots that will see a glut of items.

I would argue that's exactly what the other backers of the "create an item" tier think too :p

But maybe not. Don't get me wrong I don't want to oppose or ruin the fun ;)

As for the trinket tier at the moment we would assume that it is less restrictive than the typical equipment categories.

Because how could the developers let us choose a trinket from a pre-selected set of trinkets?

I don't know. But even in the case of trinkets the limitations might be more restrictive than we think they are.

Anyway, just to let you know, I would be fine with a trinket too of course.

I would argue that's exactly what the other backers of the "create an item" tier think too :p

But maybe not. Don't get me wrong I don't want to oppose or ruin the fun ;)

As for the trinket tier at the moment we would assume that it is less restrictive than the typical equipment categories.

Because how could the developers let us choose a trinket from a pre-selected set of trinkets?

I don't know. But even in the case of trinkets the limitations might be more restrictive than we think they are.

Anyway, just to let you know, I would be fine with a trinket too of course.

It's not just the other "Create and Item" backers we have to think it about, it's Obsidian, too! And Obsidian is most likely to create more weapons, armors, and shields--and perhaps through boots and rings in there--then just about anything else.

• Like 1

It's not just the other "Create and Item" backers we have to think it about, it's Obsidian, too! And Obsidian is most likely to create more weapons, armors, and shields--and perhaps through boots and rings in there--then just about anything else.

Well I would guess that Obsidian is interested in a more or less balanced amount of different types of items.

So just as a thought:

Imagine all the backers of the "create an item" tier would want to create weapons.

Then I think Obsidian themselves would add less weapons created by themselves but instead other type of equipment.

Imagine on the other hand all of the "create an item" tier backers would want a trinket, nobody would want to make a weapon.

Then I think Obsidian would make less trinkets on their own, but more weapons instead.

So I think Obsidian will have a look at what those backers wish to add to the game. And upon those choices they will then decide what to add by themselves.

Because what would be the point in adding even more weapons if almost all backers of that tier wanted to add weapons anyway.

So I guess/hope we can trust Obsidian that they'd try to balance that out to a certain degree.

Edited by Fluffle

I like the idea that the item was a rad looking sail or figurehead the BIB could give you for some reason. Maybe even stuff you could place in your chamber or somewhere else. I would most definetely pimp my own ship with that. :)

Edited by TheisEjsing
  • Like 5

@TheisEjsing: That's a wonderful idea! Right now, it's not an option in the poll (except for "Other"), but if Obsidian approves, then I'll probably changed my vote to a sail, as that would be the most visible. Perhaps with a special BIB flag on it. :)

• Like 4

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I like the idea that the item was a rad looking sail or figurehead the BIB could give you for some reason. Maybe even stuff you could place in your chamber or somewhere else. I would most definetely pimp my own ship with that. :)

That would be for the ship right?

If we are allowed to customize our ship to that extend it would be as part of our "build a pirate party" tier.

This poll assumes ideas for a piece of item for characters to equip. In your inventory.

And this is reflected in the poll options.

And once again, if we can customize our ship to the extend of your ideas then we could already do that because of our tier "build a pirate party". That tier includes the ship. So why should we pay additional $750 for something that we already paid for (IF we are allowed to customize our ship to that extend)?

I like your ideas, but they belong here. That is where we can discuss ideas about our ship.

• Like 1