Fractions in Deadfire  

194 members have voted

1. 1. What fraction will you choose?

• Royal Deadfire Company
    • Vailian Trading Company
    • Principi
    • Huana
    • No fraction - I'm a dissident

Everyone who chooses the Huana is an enemy of mine. They are the faction with the least morally acceptable quest to do... I would never do anything that is bad for Castol! He's one of the nicest and friendliest persons hanging around in the Deadfire and that b**** of Onekaza is simply to weak to do anything at least a bit ok. Caste system... Lose of power... etc... All other factions are ok ^^ But I like Vailians and Furrante most!

Some strong feelings there lol.

I sided with the Huana because I think the culture has strengths and the government wants to do right by its people, and I don't feel comfortable with helping a foreign power forcibly take over another group of people, potentially ruin that group of people's lives, and take away their culture and identity.   It gives the group no choice in the matter, either.

I don't think the caste system is fantastic, but when it works properly, it means everyone is taken care of.  Which I think is a huge strength compared to some societies that just let people fall in the cracks and rot there.  I couldn't go Huana if I knew that the problem with the Gullet and Watershapers wasn't fixed, but those are fixable issues.

I do love Castol and I was horrified when I realized that was the Huana route, but there are ways to go the Huana route without ruining his life, so that's the route I went.

How does this work? I could either ruin Castol OR get into conflict with the Huana. How did you avoid this?

• Like 1

Everyone who chooses the Huana is an enemy of mine. They are the faction with the least morally acceptable quest to do... I would never do anything that is bad for Castol! He's one of the nicest and friendliest persons hanging around in the Deadfire and that b**** of Onekaza is simply to weak to do anything at least a bit ok. Caste system... Lose of power... etc... All other factions are ok ^^ But I like Vailians and Furrante most!

Some strong feelings there lol.

I sided with the Huana because I think the culture has strengths and the government wants to do right by its people, and I don't feel comfortable with helping a foreign power forcibly take over another group of people, potentially ruin that group of people's lives, and take away their culture and identity.   It gives the group no choice in the matter, either.

I don't think the caste system is fantastic, but when it works properly, it means everyone is taken care of.  Which I think is a huge strength compared to some societies that just let people fall in the cracks and rot there.  I couldn't go Huana if I knew that the problem with the Gullet and Watershapers wasn't fixed, but those are fixable issues.

I do love Castol and I was horrified when I realized that was the Huana route, but there are ways to go the Huana route without ruining his life, so that's the route I went.

How does this work? I could either ruin Castol OR get into conflict with the Huana. How did you avoid this?

Before even talking to the Onekaza, I went to the Hazanui and told her I'd side with the Rauatai.  When she told me that required killing the Onekaza (and potentially others), I eventually had to back out and say "I can't do this." 

The Hazanui can't let you leave after telling you all that, knowing you're not okay with it, so she tries to kill you.  You have to kill her and everyone in the Rauatai headquarters (that finds you) in self defense to escape, which indirectly lands a huge blow to the Rauatai.  If you go to the Onekaza after that, she's happy with that and doesn't make you do her nasty sidequest.  So long as you helped Castol out in his hearings, he'll be basically fine in the endings.  He gets to stay in the Deadfire Archipelago in a smaller role to research animancy, which he likes.  He even saves Pallegina from getting messed up by the Huana ending.

It still sucks because you have to kill the Hazanui and anyone that finds you in the HQ, which I didn't want to do, but out of all the awful ways to get one of the better endings, it's one of the least awful.

• Like 5

I chose Huana because they seemed to be the "right" choice out of the options.  Honestly, the only choice for me. In a fantasy game, I get to let the native Huana keep their lands and advance naturally on their own (including re-acclimation of Ukaizo) rather than be over-run with outsiders and their own selfish desires.

I also had to slaughter the RDC because I chose the druids in Sayuka, so Castol was in the clear.

The ending slides, including improvements for the Roparu, made me very happy with my choice.  For a while, it didn't seem like there was a "good guy" choice.  There was.

• Like 1

RDC for me. Their ending is the best for me, as they disregard individuals for the greater good.

What are a few assassinations if it brings progress (hate the Huana caste system), safety (bye bye dirty pirates) and freedom (bye bye evil slavers). 

After joining them, ending slides were like:

* Their country is now enjoyable

* They destroyed pirates and slavers

* They leveled the Gullets 

* They are helping the tribes (granted, after assassinating their anti-Rauatai leaders, like in Tikawara)

* They are onto fixing the Wheel

* They united their empire with the Deadfire archipelago

* They are powerful but not expanding 

* They don't want to reduce adra pillars in dust, like Vailians, and are just letting them be

* Huana who embrace their ways now thrive.

And all of this, just by

Killing a queen, a Vailian governor and three tribe leaders.

That is just good politics. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with DaggerKnight.  For different reasons, I tried to make a deal with and got trapped and couldn't get back to my ship. Not without a cheat code at least and I would rather die miserably a failure than die gallantly a cheat.

so I say

Death to the Royal Deadfire Company!

Death to the RDC!

And long may you dwell there.

(I sound like the US military on a rant, I'm not, I'm just a sad ol sack who only has words left)

I said "Don't look Ethel!"  But it was too late, she'd already looked.

1. At first I thought I'll choose Principi because Doemenels were my choice in POE1 and in every game I prefer to stick with ambiguous and gray fractions. But pirates in PIE turned out to be disgusting thugs much like in real life which isn't very interesting. 

2. Huana is the worst, I can't understand how someone could choose those weak and barbaric people with no future, if Roman empire never expanded Europe would have no modern culture and science. Sadly, western propaganda works even now with "white man's burden" and people will choose to preserve barbaric traditions just because "it's their home" instead of eliminating caste system and famine. And it's not like those retrogrades could keep their position for a long time, Ruautai will conquer them anyway. 

3. Speaking of Ruautai, politically and logically RDC is the best option for the Deadfire because they'll continue expansion no matter what you choose. They have most advanced military complex in the world and it's only naive to think one burned warehouse will stop them for a long time. They're ruthless, patient and in dire need of new colonies for their people so it's not the end. Also they're basically one nation with Huana so it's not like they'll slaughter natives. 

4. Vailians are the best for main plot, they're the only one who interesting in animancy so it's only logical if Watcher will choose to support them. They'll help to resolve his (her?) personal issues and globally VTC are so much better than other choices.

5. Going by yourself is... how is that even an option? I mean it's great we can opt to go alone but it's so unrealistic and sad our main hero tried to solve global problem without any support and even if he succeed it will be descent in the chaos for the islands. 

RDC for me. Their ending is the best for me, as they disregard individuals for the greater good.

What are a few assassinations if it brings progress (hate the Huana caste system), safety (bye bye dirty pirates) and freedom (bye bye evil slavers). 

That is just good politics. 

Accurate assessment.

Assassinations are horrible. 

Wars are horrible AND senseless. 

A major disconnect of the RP and G aspects of deadfire was the RDCs announcement that there has to be a coup...

...and the fact that YOU have to do it. It just felt so gamey and artificial. The choice should have come down to "Interfere or don't."

Edited by Parasol_Syndicate

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

I didn't vote because I'm going to end up picking them all on different characters, but on my first character - who was a Death Godlike Priest of Berath - I ended up going Huana. They seemed like they had the greatest respect for the dieties - something my character happily extended to Berath and was willing to extend to other deities when they had their heads out of their own ass - and were a native culture on the verge of their first step into the next phase of a society. They had declined and now had the ability to rise but had to change in response to surrounding pressures. So whenever I could I pointed out their hypocrisy and how their current system made them weak and got them to do the right thing and help the Gullet themselves. He was pretty neutral to all the other factions and ended up on good terms with everybody even after the espionage, except for the Princip which he decimated as he felt they had stagnated regardless of leader. Although he seriously didn't like the VTC mining the glowing Adra. They were part of the soul wheel, he knew it, and he hated to think of soul energy used that way. He repaired the Poko adra because of that but never turned in the quest. 

Sadly I have no idea how things turned out because that character fought Eothas because he'd been tasked with stopping him and there's no 'please listen to reason and keep a working system working, you giant ****ing manchild' option.

EDIT: I guess he wasn't "tasked" with stopping Eothas. He certainly still wanted to though. And frankly the 'talk  to him' pep-talks misled a bit...

Edited by Rheios
  • Like 1

...and the fact that YOU have to do it. It just felt so gamey and artificial. The choice should have come down to "Interfere or don't."

Would have been fine if they sent you to Queen’s Berth as the distraction. It was definitely bizarre they trusted you with the actual assassination. Unless they didn’t expect you to succeed and it was just win-win for them either way.
  • Like 1

The Vailian ending is my preferred ending too, but not because of some rose tinted outcome outlined in the epilogue slides.  The game gives you a few instances to bring up that they are ultimately using souls to fuel their technological advances, and this is usually brushed off as a simpleton's understanding of the issue without much defence beyond 'poo-pooing'.

As an inequal society chasing profit I really hope they become dependant on adra fuel for everything, industry, lifestyle, transport.  I want to see what happens when their use of souls outstrips supply and what happens when more than just a regional zone begins to experience Waidwen's Legacy like symptoms.

Giving any faction control of the wheel is certainly interesting.  If you had that kind of power would you be inclined to preferentially supply strong (or even just available) souls to your faction?  What if  they discover Thaos like immortality... who gets access to that?