Politics 2017 part V

Amentep

Have at thee!  Last post from previous topic was...

http://www.dw.com/en/germany-wont-spend-2-percent-on-defense-says-spd-candidate/a-38368346

even worse than Merkel, oh my god why Germany always have to eff up Europe :/

How Germany is effing up Europe if they don't want spent their money to strengthen their own defense? I understand that Nato countries maybe angry if they think that Germany don't do as what has been agreed on, and they are free to kick Germany out if nothing else helps.

What? There is so many reasons I can't force myself to point them all out. But at least the basics - If we have agreenment both sides should honour it. Its manners 101

Yes this is what all NATO members should do yet only 5 NATO members are paying what they should and contributing fairly, this includes the U.S., Greece, the United Kingdom, Estonia and Poland. So its not just Germany that needs to pay more

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/NATO-Member-Countries-Trump/2017/01/25/id/770363/

I know, thats why USA requested recently that all members should pay their agreed share, and as far as I know some states responded positively - even tho they stated taht it will take few years. Some may not do it, but at least they are not shouting it into media ffs

Considering that Czech uses less of their GDP to military than Germany, I would say that you should complain to your own politician first how your country don't do what is agreed on.

I am, but our government promised to raise our funding, besides we are behinde Germany by 0.1 percentage

Also the Czech economy and GDP is much smaller than Germany's so I would expect Germany to contribute there share with much less objection

we are talking about percentages against GDP. Germany gives much more in total for sure

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yes I am familiar with how the  contribution works but my point is the same 

For example the impact if a street sweeper and a millionaire have to give 10 % of their monthly earning as an additional tax the long term  impact will be much harder on the street sweeper as his pool of money is less so this will have a more direct impact on his standard of living 

So there should be more expectation on Germany paying its 2 % :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

In other politically related news the Student Union at Duquesne University wants Chick-Filet banned from the campus. The reason being Chick-Filet is apparently guilty of Human Rights violation because it's owner is a devout Christian and his religion makes LGBTQ (I think those are all the letters) feel unsafe. Human rights violations huh? From a US based company that sells chicken sandwiches and soft drinks? Poultry rights maybe... bur human right?

Well, look at this way, Chick-Filet is closed on Sunday so they won't feel bad that day. Meanwhile I'm going to Chick-Filet for lunch!

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

And the Democrats have turned on the one Democrat left with anything resembling integrity: Tulsi Gabbard. The want here thrown out of Congress for opposing attacking Syria. This was the one Democrat I might have supported in a run for national office.

She always was about 50% libertarian.

Edit: forgot the link http://dailycaller.com/2017/04/10/prominent-democrats-call-for-anti-war-congresswoman-to-be-ousted-from-office/

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

OK, one more and I'm done for a while. Apparently this rural vs urban thing happening in the US is happening elsewhere. In Canada it's been going on for a while now. They call it Western Alienation. It's happening in France too: https://www.yahoo.com/news/forgotten-rural-france-seethes-over-big-city-bias-033716144.html

Thomas Sowell

Have at thee!  Last post from previous topic was...

http://www.dw.com/en/germany-wont-spend-2-percent-on-defense-says-spd-candidate/a-38368346

even worse than Merkel, oh my god why Germany always have to eff up Europe :/

How Germany is effing up Europe if they don't want spent their money to strengthen their own defense? I understand that Nato countries maybe angry if they think that Germany don't do as what has been agreed on, and they are free to kick Germany out if nothing else helps.

What? There is so many reasons I can't force myself to point them all out. But at least the basics - If we have agreenment both sides should honour it. Its manners 101

Yes this is what all NATO members should do yet only 5 NATO members are paying what they should and contributing fairly, this includes the U.S., Greece, the United Kingdom, Estonia and Poland. So its not just Germany that needs to pay more

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/NATO-Member-Countries-Trump/2017/01/25/id/770363/

I know, thats why USA requested recently that all members should pay their agreed share, and as far as I know some states responded positively - even tho they stated taht it will take few years. Some may not do it, but at least they are not shouting it into media ffs

Considering that Czech uses less of their GDP to military than Germany, I would say that you should complain to your own politician first how your country don't do what is agreed on.

I am, but our government promised to raise our funding, besides we are behinde Germany by 0.1 percentage

Also the Czech economy and GDP is much smaller than Germany's so I would expect Germany to contribute there share with much less objection

we are talking about percentages against GDP. Germany gives much more in total for sure

Germany is spending 47 billion dollars in their military, where Czech is spending only 2 billion dollars.

So Germany is spending over 23 times what Czech, even though they only have 8 times the population that Czech has. 

But any way Czech would need to increase their military spending with about 2 billion dollars to be in agreed 2% where Germany needs to increase their military spending with about 21 billion dollars, ten times what Czech is currently spending.

Germany is currently spending in their military about same amount money as Albania, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia spend together.

So it isn't like Germany don't invest in Europe's defense, especially when you take in consideration that they give financial aid for several above mentioned countries.

In other politically related news the Student Union at Duquesne University wants Chick-Filet banned from the campus. The reason being Chick-Filet is apparently guilty of Human Rights violation because it's owner is a devout Christian and his religion makes LGBTQ (I think those are all the letters) feel unsafe. Human rights violations huh? From a US based company that sells chicken sandwiches and soft drinks? Poultry rights maybe... bur human right?

Well, look at this way, Chick-Filet is closed on Sunday so they won't feel bad that day. Meanwhile I'm going to Chick-Filet for lunch!

This seems so low down I am unsure why you care. Well, unless it's the insidious culture war or something. They want that, sure, and I want to have a date with Monica Bellucci but that doesn't mean much :p

Gabbard shouldn't get kicked out for that, though I guess her solo "fact finding" mission to Syria miffed some. I would think it would be okay politically to doubt Assad being to blame for the attack.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Germany is spending 47 billion dollars in their military, where Czech is spending only 2 billion dollars.

So Germany is spending over 23 times what Czech, even though they only have 8 times the population that Czech has. 

But any way Czech would need to increase their military spending with about 2 billion dollars to be in agreed 2% where Germany needs to increase their military spending with about 21 billion dollars, ten times what Czech is currently spending.

Germany is currently spending in their military about same amount money as Albania, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia spend together.

So it isn't like Germany don't invest in Europe's defense, especially when you take in consideration that they give financial aid for several above mentioned countries.

What part about 'its tied to GDP' you don't understand?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

This seems so low down I am unsure why you care. Well, unless it's the insidious culture war or something. They want that, sure, and I want to have a date with Monica Bellucci but that doesn't mean much :p

Gabbard shouldn't get kicked out for that, though I guess her solo "fact finding" mission to Syria miffed some. I would think it would be okay politically to doubt Assad being to blame for the attack.

The Chick-Filet thing is just too absurd not to comment. But I don't care. The do have really good sandwiches though.

Thomas Sowell

The CEO of Chik-Fil-A was pretty vocal during the gay marriage controversies a few years back, and their foundation supports some pretty vocal anti-LGBT charities. I'm a big fan of voting with your wallet on stuff like this. The safe place stuff is ridiculous though. It's a just a business, if people don't eat there, then it goes away. End of story.

• Like 2

The CEO of Chik-Fil-A was pretty vocal during the gay marriage controversies a few years back, and their foundation supports some pretty vocal anti-LGBT charities. I'm a big fan of voting with your wallet on stuff like this. The safe place stuff is ridiculous though. It's a just a business, if people don't eat there, then it goes away. End of story.

Do you have an idea of how much hate-speech and such those charities commit? I'm completely clueless on that.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Oh sure I'm with you there. Don't like a business politics? Don't use them. Seems like a silly reason to me because political opinions are like nose... everyone has one. Starbucks is pretty left of center in terms of it's politics but Cafe Verona and Yukon Gold taste really good to me so I don't care. It would be a lot easier for me to boycott a company over it's politics if it's products sucked. But good coffee is where you find it.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

And the Democrats have turned on the one Democrat left with anything resembling integrity: Tulsi Gabbard. The want here thrown out of Congress for opposing attacking Syria. This was the one Democrat I might have supported in a run for national office.

She always was about 50% libertarian.

Edit: forgot the link http://dailycaller.com/2017/04/10/prominent-democrats-call-for-anti-war-congresswoman-to-be-ousted-from-office/

Given her fight with the DNC higher-ups and leaving it to endorse Bernie Sanders, I imagine that the Democratic leadership and insiders will look for anything they can to use against her.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well I can guarantee you one thing, I definitely wouldn't spend one red cent on that franchise. And most of my friends would have the same stance. I refuse to knowingly support any business that is involved in that type of discrimination 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well I can guarantee you one thing, I definitely wouldn't spend one red cent on that franchise. And most of my friends would have the same stance. I refuse to knowingly support any business that is involved in that type of discrimination

What a responsible capitalist you are :p

• Like 1

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

What a responsible capitalist you are :p

Means he gets more money to spend at the tittybar. :yes:

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Do you have an idea of how much hate-speech and such those charities commit? I'm completely clueless on that.

I haven't followed it too closely because I don't eat fast food anyways, but I think they prop up some Christian Athletic Organization that is discriminatory.

edit: It just seems dumb for any CEO to really take political stances. You are the face of the company, if it doesn't benefit the company, you shouldn't be presenting it. At least with celebrities I get it, most of them are self absorbed and clueless, but I expect more from a CEO.

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

If you're talking deterrence factor and salami slicing then there has been no deterrence yet even with the US alone spending more than 10x what Russia does on the military. Few billion more won't make a difference- and there have never been salami slices against anyone already in NATO anyway. NATO is meant to be a defensive alliance for the North Atlantic, not an extension and projection of imperial power.

It's also pretty apparent that the salami slices happen as a response to and in order to block further NATO expansion.

No deterrence because the previous president didn't believe in deterrence or in supporting the military, and probably wasn't even on our side. The Russians are after the Baltic countries now, which are in NATO, and also NATO is supposed to maintain stability in Europe, not just directly within NATO boundaries. A few billions will make a lot of difference on readiness, ours has deteriorated tremendously and German readiness was shown to be laughable during maneuvers a couple of years ago. As far as spending more, it's a lot more expensive to maintain a military in US than in Russia, as a percentage of GDP I doubt that's true.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Oh, and I don't know who it was, but I think someone posted some 4 hour documentary about Putin; Thanks for that, it was interesting to watch.

My post was just to put things in perspective for people who are saying that Germany don't contribute in for Nato and general defense for Europe. Because speaking about GDP percentages has bad habit to hide which countries actually pay for things and who are mostly freeloaders.

My post was just to put things in perspective for people who are saying that Germany don't contribute in for Nato and general defense for Europe. Because speaking about GDP percentages has bad habit to hide which countries actually pay for things and who are mostly freeloaders.

Well, if half of the companies employing people in Czech didn't payed their taxes in Germany maybe our GDP would be better

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

It's on: http://hotair.com/archives/2017/04/11/trump-north-korea-plan-of-action/

I hope we don't get into a war with China.

• Like 2

Poor Spicer gnawing on his foot again today. I get what he meant though, poor guy must be cracking dealing with Trump.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, if half of the companies employing people in Czech didn't payed their taxes in Germany maybe our GDP would be better

Amount of Czech's monthly exports to Germany is about 108 billion CZK (~4 billion euros) and its monthly imports from Germany is about 67 billion CZK (~2.5 billion euros), so annual trade surplus with Germany for Czech is about 40 billion CZK (1.5 billion euros).

So like Trump would say Czech is bad trade partner for Germany.

Edited by Elerond