Well, I guess this United thing isn't so bad. After all, this poor guy in Mexico was removed from the plane in mid-flight: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/mans-body-seen-tossed-from-plane-found-on-roof-of-mexican-hospital/ar-BBzLVoh?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

:lol: I am not laughing at the death of the Mexican I am just imagining some sort of  " US  Bizarro Plane company " where passengers do indeed get kicked off the plane in mid-flight but this would be considered  a normal part of the legal seating process ....its funny if you have my  sense of humor 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, I guess this United thing isn't so bad. After all, this poor guy in Mexico was removed from the plane in mid-flight: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/mans-body-seen-tossed-from-plane-found-on-roof-of-mexican-hospital/ar-BBzLVoh?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

:lol: I am not laughing at the death of the Mexican I am just imagining some sort of  " US  Bizarro Plane company " where passengers do indeed get kicked off the plane in mid-flight but this would be considered  a normal part of the legal seating process ....its funny if you have my  sense of humor 

It's not funny... but it is. Life is all about perspective I guess.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

What did Pepsi do?

Edit-okay saw the commercial but tbh while it's a bad commercial, I don't see what the big deal is

Yeah, it's a non-scandal really, not least considering how issuetainment and socially aware commercial campaigns have increasingly become a thing in the last two decades or more. To me that advert just reflects a very wrong aspect that has been there for a while more so than being something new and shocking all of its own.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Quite frnakly, it is one of the best commericals simply becaus eof all the misplaced butthurt it caused. Too bad Pepsi didn't have the balls to stick with it.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Anyway the prediction is he's gonna get millions of dollars in settlement money out of this. The feeling is that most potential jurors would love to stick it to the airline. 

American dream baby, ka-ching. 

I wonder if their strategy was to have everyone hoping to get rich quick fly United.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Anyway the prediction is he's gonna get millions of dollars in settlement money out of this. The feeling is that most potential jurors would love to stick it to the airline. 

American dream baby, ka-ching. 

the american dream is largely a fantasy.  the goal is to make the person whole.  so, count up actual damage to dao and pay.  wrongful death sometimes gets big dollars.  class actions get big money, but rare does an individual get much. punitive damages is a big source, but punitive is tough.  'course again, the big issue is it were not united but law enforcement who dragged the guy off the plan and injured him, so even in contributory damages situations...

*shrug*

plus even if you win or settle, lawyer gets a big cut.

is always the assumption that folks get rich on lawsuits, and rare does it work out that way.  yeah, there is possibility that 'cause o' the public nature o' this, everybody will wanna make it disappear 'cause is no-win for united and law enforcement.  assume for a moment dao gets very little and such is reported. united would again looks like bad guy even if law doesn't entitle dao to much.  am actual doubtful united is concerned 'bout actual lawsuit damages. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Sure they are. that's why they went from 'we are 100% innocent it was thyat evil little asian druggie doctor's fault' to 'we are 100% sorry, we screwed up, pleawe forgive us we beg you and we pinky swear we won't be so unprofesisonal an dbreak the law again'. In fact,  his lawyer should use their admission of wrongdoing against them. :)

Sure they are. that's why they went from 'we are 100% innocent it was thyat evil little asian druggie doctor's fault' to 'we are 100% sorry, we screwed up, pleawe forgive us we beg you and we pinky swear we won't be so unprofesisonal an dbreak the law again'. In fact,  his lawyer should use their admission of wrongdoing against them. :)

volo you seem very angry at United, what legal punitive punishment do you think they should pay?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

you are being volish. united apologized for what happened to the guy, and not for anything they actual did.  previous to united ceo public hand wringing, the cops had already announced how an officer involved were on administrative leave pending an investigation.  cops admitted the event were handled outside scope of policy, which ain't same as saying it were illegal, but is unusual. 

so, the situation is unusual as passengers were already boarded... you ain't gonna find consistency o' united knowing they were violating law.  even vol can do a quick search and find aviation lawyers who has defended united's position, so the legal issues ain't clear-cut and sure weren't obvious to the united personnel at the terminal or on plane.   you ain't gonna find some kinda personal reason why united were trying to screw dao. punitive for united is most unlikely. 

farmer bob oversells space for some kinda music festival.  has been doing music festival for many years.  'ccording to the tickets, he can do oversells 'cause o' no-shows.  no-shows for reservations don't actual pay, so bob initial lost a whole lotta money every year 'fore he instituted his overbook policy.  folks gain access before the festival, but 'ccording to curious ny state festival law (not real) a ticket holder is not actual considered admitted to a festival until 30 minutes before start o' first attraction/act/whatever. a mere hour before start of festival, farmer bob realizes he has overbooked and accidental admitted multiple folks to be sharing tent areas.  farmer bob needs space for some employees who will be working concessions, so he asks if any ticket holders for tent space wanna give up their space.  desperate, farmer bob offers ticket value and hotel space, and then sweetens the deal a couple times.  no takers.  

farmer bob runs outta ideas.  in the past he has always stopped oversell reservation ticket purchasers before they enter the festival area. what to do? well, farmer bob is an old d&d fan, so he has ten sided dice, which is convenient as there is 100 tent space reservations which would work for the carnies.  bob rolls dice and it comes up 37.  plot 37 is a dr. dao from louisville, ky.  bob asks dr. dao to give up his tent space while offering him vouchers and hotel room accommodations and whatnot.  dr. dao won't leave.

*poop*

when folks get unruly and angry 'bout ticket issues, bob calls the local sheriff. the local sheriff maintains a presence at the festival, but is not actual employees o' farmer bob. so bob calls sheriff and explains how he needs to have dr. dao removed 'cause o' an overbooking issue.  

next thing you know, the sheriff is dragging an asian doctor out through the front gate o' the festival.  the dr. is bloodied and screaming as he is dragged past festival goers and concession stands; bystanders is taking pictures and video with their cellphones.

farmer bob, looking like a poleaxed steer as he witnesses the debacle, is heard to utter, "what the &%#k?"

is situation different 'cause is farmer bob and not a big and evil corporation? why?

so what damage did real dao suffer?  don't tell us 'bout evil corporations, 'cause such ain't the basis for damages or a cause o' action. don't expect monetary windfall or tell us 'bout pain and suffering, cause those is largely imaginary. medical expenses. plane fare. lost wages.  what money does dao need to be made whole?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

To be honest it is a UAL **** up. you simply don't remove a seated person from the plane, you can deny them boarding, but if they are boarded, you ****ed up. Bump up the pay, 1000, 5000, 15000, does not matter. even get a private jet for your employees if they need to be in other place. you ****ed up, you pay - simple as that.

I could support UAL in the "leggins" stuff as it was a clear case of someone not abiding to the policy, which they agreed to.

Here, it's the airlines **** up and aviation guards **** up

On some level it is also people's **** up. If you see a doc, who claims he needs to be at destination, someone could ****ing think and offer their seat in exchange for extra money, but nope, everyone cares for their own butt, but when something happens, they make lots of noise and immediately record stuff (in their own self interest)

Edited by Darkpriest

All i read from Grom's defense of this nonsense is that it is okay for corporations to be unprofessional, steal money, and then get the cops to beat up any rnadom person they choose because in Grom's mind  businesses and companies trump people. It is okay to beat up people because because the airline screwed up. LMAO

Not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV but I'm pretty sure a judge can throw out a guilty verdict and so can the appeals court which I don't think even has a jury. It's beside the point though because it seems to me (though I haven't been following closely) that Grom and Volo are just talking past each other as one is talking law and the other is talking right and wrong.

United has now changed its policy so while you can still get bumped for crew you're now safe after boarding which is probably how most people assumed it already was. I know I did.

United Airlines crew members will no longer be able to bump a passenger who is already seated in one of the airline's planes.

The policy change was first reported by TMZ. A spokesperson for the airline confirms that United has updated its policy "to make sure crews traveling on our aircraft are booked at least 60 minutes prior to departure. This ensures situations like Flight 3411 never happen again."

If the crew member is not booked an hour before the flight, then he or she will have to wait for the next available flight.

The policy change effectively means that if there is a need to displace a passenger from a flight, the decision is made before boarding begins.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Yeah and this legal mumbo jumbo Gromnir tries to pull doesn't matter simply because in US the verdict is made by jury not judge. All Dao's lawyer would need to do is play the video in response to any statement by United.

That's not entirely true, you don't need to go with a jury. Also about 95% of cases don't even go to trial, so the odds are good this will be settled.

I watched Jimmy Kimmel a few days ago he said stock had plummeted to the point where United could have bought all three passengers their own jet instead of kicking them off and the cost would have been the same.

I don't think that a settlement will necessarily help United that much though, they may not be able to kiss and make up with a large bag of money, the damage to public perception will still be done. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Guys is this not becoming an example of " lets make the big corporation suffer because we dont like them " ?

John Milton 

Well sure. It's another example of how crucial it can be to be on top of an internet ****storm before you run out of options to affect the outcome. They failed spectacularly. 

Fair enough they were terrible in their response but surly to now fine them tens of millions of dollars is egregious? 

John Milton 

Why are people feeling sorry for an unprofesisonl thuggish lawbreaking coropration/ Would there be sympathy for me if I sold my car twice to two different people then told one of them after they got the car, paid me that they couldn't have the car bvecause my brother gets it and when he says 'npo i i bought the car fair and square' and I proceed to beat the crap out of hiim? Or worse yet yet I call the cops and tell them he is 'stealing' the car so they proceed to beat him up?Would I get sympathy if people demanded I get punished severely for that crime? I guarantee you there'd be none so why sympathy for 'poor misunderstood' UA? LMAO

Guys is this not becoming an example of " lets make the big corporation suffer because we dont like them " ?

Corporation and highly capable individuals or in high positions are only good when they do good for everyone, or at least the majority. People are right to chase down both individuals and corporations that act against their interests.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif