Sad thing is people are defending their actions.  EVIL. the airline was 100% in the wrong, were unprofessional, were evil, were nazis, were pieces of crap. PERIOD.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yeah but the cops, or air marshals or whatever were the one's who manhandled him. That's law enforcement ; the government. I bet United are kicking themselves about the cost of all this negative publicity. Overbooking is worth a lot of money, they aren't going to give that up though. 

Anyway how is it that you can get on a plane and they have the right to kick you off because they made a mistake. They should be forced to give serious compensation in that instance, not just a few hundred bucks. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

They really should outlaw over booking

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

At first I was like "Why would you resist?" but then I read that he was a doctor and had patients to get to, which seems like a pretty dang legitimate reason to not be the one to lose your seat. Crazy. Just another reason I take my RV everywhere.

Honestly if I was on the plane, instead of filming, I'd probably be the one to give up my seat. I can't imagine sitting on that plane for hours after watching that. That is some bad karma to begin a trip on a magical flying machine.

• Like 5

At first I was like "Why would you resist?" but then I read that he was a doctor and had patients to get to, which seems like a pretty dang legitimate reason to not be the one to lose your seat. Crazy. Just another reason I take my RV everywhere.

that's a reason you drive an rv instead o' flying?  

getting bumped happens .62 for every 10,000 passengers.

Gromnir don't drive an rv 'cause roller skating deer, hopped up on ecstasy and listening to air supply tracks from their ipods, tends to throw themselves at our vehicle.

*shrug*

the situation with united were a bit unique as passengers had already boarded, but for purposes o' the contract o' carriage, airlines got extreme broad discretion insofar as bumping folks.  rule o' thumb is airlines can bump you up until the moment the plane has left the terminal. worse, what constitutes "interference with the flight crew" is viewed even more broad, and as soon as the passenger refused to comply with instructions to disembark, force from law enforcement likely became appropriate. 

regardless, folks is once again learning the wrong lesson from the video. refusing to comply with law enforcement instructions beyond a certain point is all kinda stoopid.  how often does we need see video o' folks getting bloody lips or a faceful o' glass or even shot before folks realize it is a bad idea to refuse to comply with police instructions? wanna fight cops?  do so in court, with a lawyer to help you.  fight cops on a darkened city street, in your car or on a crowded airplane is gonna end up bad for you.  fight in court.  you might lose in court, but you could win.  you will lose on street, in your car or on a plane.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps united stock went up yesterday on an otherwise flat trading day.  stock is up considerable for the year as well. 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Gromnir don't drive an rv 'cause roller skating deer, hopped up on ecstasy and listening to air supply tracks from their ipods, tends to throw themselves at our vehicle.

*shrug*

the situation with united were a bit unique as passengers had already boarded, but for purposes o' the contract o' carriage, airlines got extreme broad discretion insofar as bumping folks.  rule o' thumb is airlines can bump you up until the moment the plane has left the terminal. worse, what constitutes "interference with the flight crew" is viewed even more broad, and as soon as the passenger refused to comply with instructions to disembark, force from law enforcement likely became appropriate. 

regardless, folks is once again learning the wrong lesson from the video. refusing to comply with law enforcement instructions beyond a certain point is all kinda stoopid.  how often does we need see video o' folks getting bloody lips or a faceful o' glass or even shot before folks realize it is a bad idea to refuse to comply with police instructions? wanna fight cops?  do so in court, with a lawyer to help you.  fight cops on a darkened city street, in your car or on a crowded airplane is gonna end up bad for you.  fight in court.  you might lose in court, but you could win.  you will lose on street, in your car or on a plane.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps united stock went up yesterday on an otherwise flat trading day.  stock is up considerable for the year as well. 

Well, the cops don't seem to think so. They uncharacteristically issued a statement that this was not reasonable force and not standard procedure.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

You know what is ironic as hell? The very DAY this happened the United CEO Oscar Munoz was given an award for community outreach. :lol:

In all seriousness though, they were were offering $800 and a free night in the Airport Hilton as well as a seat on the next flight to give up a seat voluntarily. I'd have been all over that.

You know something else funny? After they dragged that doctor off kicking and screaming (and beat the tar out of him apparently) those four United employees got to sit with the people who just watched it happen. Now THAT'S awkward!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

*shrug*

Geez Grommie, it's not like I said it was my top reason. No need to attack my lifestyle choices. :p

There is a laundry list of reasons why I prefer to take an RV on a trip over a plane. The only two advantages to plane has is speed and travelling over water. Everything else is worse. So as long as I'm not is a rush to get somewhere and I'm happy visiting the two American continents, I'm in good shape.   :thumbsup:

You know what is ironic as hell? The very DAY this happened the United CEO Oscar Munoz was given an award for community outreach. :lol:

In all seriousness though, they were were offering $800 and a free night in the Airport Hilton as well as a seat on the next flight to give up a seat voluntarily. I'd have been all over that.

You know something else funny? After they dragged that doctor off kicking and screaming (and beat the tar out of him apparently) those four United employees got to sit with the people who just watched it happen. Now THAT'S awkward!

Apparently they just got verbally harassed, nothing more sadly.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

Well, the cops don't seem to think so. They uncharacteristically issued a statement that this was not reasonable force and not standard procedure.

you are misreading.  force to compel compliance is appropriate.  the degree of force used and the steps taken before force were applied may not have been appropriate in this case, but the use o' force is warranted when passengers interfere with the flight crew.  

and again, wrong lesson is learned.  as gd noted, the airline made a generous offer and in virtual all cases, somebody on a flight will accept such alternative offers made by the airline. sadly, once law enforcement arrives and makes demands, monty haul is no longer possible. the passenger were gonna leave the plane even if a few de-escalation steps were skipped by law enforcement. yeah, law enforcement has been known to resort to excessive force. is all the more reason to avoid possible confrontation, no?  given dr. dao's past, avoiding confrontations with police woulda' been all the more advisable.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You knew this one was coming:

0411-memes-promo-400x300.jpg

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Legally "can" is different from morally "should" or PR-wise "should". All info seems to suggest that airline exercised its legal powers in an unnecessarily cruel way, while the police's excessive force will no doubt be written off as "OK" in the great Chicago police tradition. Good thing he was brown not black, huh?

Unfortunately, almost all American airlines have been rude and inferior service for a long time, and they know perfectly well that most of their customers have no choice but to put up with it. (So, I suppose, it's not that stupid of them, just dickish.) 

P.S. Grom is right that in the moment, if you're facing police command, then you're best off not resisting. Precisely because America's police cannot uniformly be trusted to exact appropriate amount of violence, and you don't want to give them any reason to go on one of their regular violence binges. (And because legally it just becomes very hard to defend your case.)

What's more crucial is the poor handling before the dude resisted removal. A lot rests on how competently the airline handled the voluntary bumping part of the procedure - in most cases it's just common sense to do it before everyone's boarded, and then chances are you aren't bumping an old doctor who has to see his patients. 

Edited by Tigranes
  • Like 1

They really should outlaw over booking

An alternative would be to require sufficient refund to cause the airlines to reconsider the business practice. It's a calculated gamble on their part, since they are weighting the risk of overbooking vs. risk of profit loss from empty seats. If the international community were to require, say, a minimum x3 ticket price refund for each passenger being bounced, the airlines should, in theory, alter their practice to include a larger buffer of potential empty seats.

That was a really ugly scene. It could have been anyone in that position.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

United CEO implies to his employees that the 'belligerent' passenger deserved what he got

United stock drops sharply

United CEO apologises for 'truly horrific' removal of passenger

:biggrin:

"the airline made a generous offer"

No, they didn't. You cna get more than that for being a victim of ovebrooking. Also, this wans't a case of overbooking. Victims of overbooking never get to go on the plane at all. And, this was about employees wanting/needing seats not other paying customers so not overbooking.

The airline screwed up. Anyone who uses any logic or common sense or believes in professionalism knows this.

• Like 3

Notes on airlines overbooking:

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

And, the smear job begins. I wonder if we listed all of the legal problems of this airline and their employees what would wouold be found. More evidence of their evil.

"the airline made a generous offer"

No, they didn't. You cna get more than that for being a victim of ovebrooking. Also, this wans't a case of overbooking. Victims of overbooking never get to go on the plane at all. And, this was about employees wanting/needing seats not other paying customers so not overbooking.

The airline screwed up. Anyone who uses any logic or common sense or believes in professionalism knows this.

it were a case of overbooking, but yeah, rarely does folks actual get on the plane in such situations.  'ccording to the contract of carriage all ticket purchasers agree to, folks can be removed at airline discretion up to the point which the plane leaves the terminal.  don't like being bumped? fly an airline which don't bump, or do as hurl and risk road travel. 

the airline did screw up and they handled the screwup poorly.  even so, the airline screwup were a minor thing. a handful o' passengers were inconvenienced. delayed to a later flight and compensated. annoying, but hardly the evil folks is pretending it to be.  the situation actual spun outta hand when the passenger refused to comply with directives from the airline and from law enforcement.  law enforcement clear made worse by by handling the passenger removal in a seeming excessive manner.

Gromnir ain't defending law enforcement excess, but honestly, who are these folks who when confronted by armed police officers decide it is better to risk a physical confrontation... a physical confrontation over a plane seat?  if dr. dao were defending his wife or kids or a stranger from police brutality, we could understand his behavior.  if dr. dao were standing up for democracy, or civil rights or even puppies we could understand risking a police confrontation.  inconvenience.  dr. dao can't see patients w/o another doctor's supervision, so is not as if those patients with runny noses and sore backs were gonna be going w/o medical care. ultimately the guy were willing to risk police confrontation to avoid inconvenience.

airline made a mistake.

the passenger's behavior in the situation were unreasonable.

law enforcement acted with excessive force.

is plenty o' blame to go 'round.  

HA! Good Fun!

The passenger's mistake was to act in a way that is strategically unsound given the legal context, influenced by his anxiety to reach his patients. 

The airline's mistake was to handle legally permissible procedures in incompetent and unwise ways, seemingly for no good reason.

The law enforcement's mistake was to use excessive force and cause unnecessary physical harm on an elderly doctor. 

I know that as far as I'm concerned, that's three qualitatively different kinds of mistakes, and some of them are far, far worse.

Edited by Tigranes

"Gromnir ain't defending law enforcement excess, but honestly, who are these folks who when confronted by armed police officers decide it is better to risk a physical confrontation... a physical confrontation over a plane seat?  if dr. dao were defending his wife or kids or a stranger from police brutality, we could understand his behavior.  if dr. dao were standing up for democracy, or civil rights or even puppies we could understand risking a police confrontation.  inconvenience.  dr. dao can't see patients w/o another doctor's supervision, so is not as if those patients with runny noses and sore backs were gonna be going w/o medical care. ultimately the guy were willing to risk police confrontation to avoid inconvenience."

Agreed. When someone  tries to rob, assault, or rape you.. you better comply... and, if you don't.. and you get beat up worse or mrudered it is 100% your fault. Not the perpetrator.

The airline is 100% wrong. Anyone who thinks otherwise is 100% wrong.

The blame is 100% on the airline for their evilness, unprofessionalismn, bullying, intimidations, threats of violkence, use of violence, physical, emotional, and verbal abuse, rape, nazism, and insanity.

The victim did ntohing wrong. He defended himself from nazis. PERIOD.

Also, the airline knows they screwed up and are now begging for emrcy because they now understand what they did was not only morally wrong it broke the law. That is the only reason for the now apology - they are fearful of a lawsuit that could cost them a lot more money than if they had just handled this PROFESSIONALLY and HUMANELY.

Edited by Volourn

am doubting the airline is particular worried 'bout lawsuit.  the passenger agreed to the possibility o' being kicked off the plane when he purchased his ticket. the airline didn't actual drag the passenger off the plane either.  nobody from the airline laid hands on the passenger.  united might very well lose patronage from folks who see united as the ultimate evil doer, and perhaps united would rather settle than deal with a public legal battle, but we can't see much potential liability for united.

'course any discussion with vol is doomed from the start.

HA! Good Fun!

WRONG.

But, we get it. Gromnir loves it when violence is used against innocents. Maybe the airline will hire you to defend them. I mean youa re already defending the undefendable FOR FREE. Might as well get paid for it.  They are evil nazi warmongering violent unprofessional,, selfish, piece of crap psychopaths., Why defend them?