Hey guys,

Haven't played pillars for a while, but the hype for P2 is sucking me back in and Tyranny doesn't do it for me. I see so many awesome creative builds on this forum - i love the list of stickied builds and love trying different ones! What has been your favorite combination that makes not only a really effective party, but also a very fun one? Personally I don't like 'fire and forget' characters like rangers or ranged rogues, which really don't have many 'active' abilities, but prefer casters and multitalented characters like Monks and Paladins. 

Particularly interested in those experts I see in here with thousands of hours played - (i.e. Boeroer callin you out!) whats your favorite party composition and build for each member?

Krim

[Edit: typo in title!]

Edited by Krim

When building a party I usually have 4-5 main priorities:

1. Sturdiness

2. Consistent non-rest AoE DPS

3. Single Target Damage

4. Hard Crown Control

5. Support

To that extent, I suppose my "ideal" party is:

1. Dragon Thrashed Chanter Main Tank (Extremely tanky, strongest consistent AoE DPS in the game, Good Single Target Damage with Seven Nights)

2. Marker Paladin (Support, Tanky, Alpha Strike Damage, Dual Marking weapons, consistent AoE DPS)

3. DW/2H Fighter (Great Single Target Damage, Much Tankier than Rogue/Monk, Great Speed)

4. Wizard (Strong AoE CC, Single Target CC and Damage)

5. Cipher/Druid (Either of these is fine and fulfils different roles. I try not to use druids because it always turns in to a relentless storm fest, though Defensive Mindweb later in the game is just as much a GG ability)

6. Priest (Buffs/AoE Damage)

Edited by Livegood118
  • Like 1

Hi!

Hm, there are so many good and fun party compositions that I can't say which I like best. Also - with every new playthrough my parties feel more powerful than those before - but I guess it's not because the compostition is so good but because one gets better and better at this game the more often you play it.

But I can say how I like to build the official companions lately. :)

Aloth:

Aloth is good as the usual implement+Blast-wizard of course. But I also build him the following way and it was a lot of fun:

- Main idea: combining Combusting Wounds with quichswitching blunderbusses (=tons of hits which trigger CW) for gorgeous alpha-strikes

- critical spells: Combusting Wounds, Expose Vulnerabilities, Eldritch Aim and all missile spells

- important items: blunderbusses, Ryona's Vambraces, Ring of Searing Flames, Coil of Resourcefulness

- important talents: Marksman, Arms Bearer, Penetrating Shot, WF Ruffian

- basic strategy: cast Eldritch Aim, cast Combusting Wounds, shoot three blunderbusses in quick succession. Follow up with missiles or other spells which profit from DR bypass (Rolling Flame, Crackling Bolt and whatnot)

Lot of micro but also lots of fun! With Expose Vulnerabilites and all the stacked DR bypass (combined with Comb. Wounds) he is a really good alpha striker. This shifts a wizard away from AoE damage to single target damage (i mean when looking at his weapon attacks). Lead Spitter and Silver Flash are great...

An alternative I tried which was also fun:

Aloth as Mr. Fireball:

- Main idea is to get 17 Fireballs per rest (and 1/encounter) and other fire spells and nuke everything with fire spells all the time without giving a shart about resting.

- critical spells: Fireball and other fire based spells, Pull of Eora, Alacrity, Citzal's Martial Power

- important items: Flames of Fair Rhian (2 times), Taluntain's Staff, Curoc's Brand, Helwax Mold, Amulet of Summer Solstice, Suntouched Mail, Ring of Wizardry A and B

- important talents: Scion of Flame, Bonus Spell 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th level, WF Ruffian, Two Weapon Style

- basic strategy: with all the items you will have TONS of spell uses, most prominent are 17 uses of Fireball per rest and one per encounter (spell mastery). Good thing about spell bindings is that those don't get deactivated when you use Citzal's Martial Power. So you can use 6 Sunbeams per rest and up to 10 Fireballs per rest with Citzal's Martial Power activated. Together with Scion of Flame that will make thos spells rather devastating. Good strategy is to buff up and then start casting those spells. Starting with Sunbeam makes a lot of sense because the blind affliction will hekp to land more crits with fireballs. Citzal's will give you +8 MIG and also +20 ACC which is rather nice when combined with the inherent +10 ACC of most wizard spells and the +1 ACC per char level. You will have so many spells per rest that you can't cast them all during one encounter if you are with a full party. It's impossible. I think I never ran out of spells before resting because other party members had to rest because of health or other reasons first.

Pallegina:

Fire based alpha striker

- Main idea: build around Wrath of the Five Suns and add more features that are like it and an snipe enemies at the start of combat. Then follow up with "support mode".

- critical abilites and talents: Sworn Enemy, Wrath of the Five Suns, FoD, Intense Flames, Scion of Flame, Penetrating Shot, Marksman, Prestidigitator's Missiles, WF Ruffian or Soldier (blunderbuss or arquebus/arbalest, I prefer arquebus), Coordinated Attacks, Sacred Immolation, Arms Bearer

- important items: Cloak of Minor Missiles, 2 arquebuses or arbalests (will most likey prone on crit because of Sworn Enemy + FoD = tons of ACC) OR 2 blunderbusses (when concentrating on squishy targets), scrolls with missile spells, Ryona's Vambraces, Outworn Buckler, Shame or Glory or Cladhaliath with marking enchantment.

- basic strategy: use Sworn Enemy with Wrath and follow up with Prest. Missiles, then both FoD-Shots. Usually this will kill one to four enemies (depends on their endurance pool). Switch to melee setup an support your main melee guy/gal with +20 ACC and herald aura. Use Sacred Immolation then, too. Great alpha strike character and also very useful after that.

Edér:

"Behind the Lines"

- Main Idea: stack regeneration effects to be very sturdy even when going the full dps route, then get behind enemy lines and cause trouble with good single target dps and CC.

- critical abilites and talents: survival 12 (+2 from Sanguin Plate) for +60% healing, Two Weapon Style, Spirit of Decay, Savage Attack, Disciplined Barrage, Armored Grace, Knockdown & Bonus Knockdown, Rapid Recovery, WF Ruffian, WS Ruffian, WM Ruffian, Confident Aim, Charge (what did you think? ;)), Apprentice's Sneak

- important items: Sanguine Plate, Bittercut & Resolution or Bittercut + Bittercut, Cape of the Cheat, Boots of Speed, Belt of Bountiful Healing,

- basic strategy: use Escape to get behind enemy lines asap after buffing, then use Knockdowns and Charge and go on their nerves. Alse great char to "carry" Ectopsychic Echo from a cipher.

Hiravias:

Batsh!t Crazy or the usual Spiritshift build

Griving Mother:

War bow cipher or two hander cipher mostly (using estocs or great swords or pikes - love Firebrand on ciphers with all the fitting talents!)

Kana:

He's best in full tank mode with Little Savior in one setup and a single weapon in the other with 100% Dragon Thrashed. I also like to use Ancient Memory + Beloved Spirits + Veteran's Recovery, combined with high survival for awesome automatic self healing (and healing others). Also works well with the Chillfog build, although that can be easily developed out of the common Dragon Thrashed build.

Maneha:

Hours of St. Rumbalt with focus on crits. Using Frenzy + Bloodlust + Blood Thirst. This is really powerful after a few levels because carnage get +1 ACC per level - and with Accurate Carnage it soon catches up with your normal ACC. Crits which cause prone n an AoE and also are annihilating just rock.

Another nice "quirky" build which is fun is Drake's Bell with Vulnerable Attack & Ryona's Vambraces, also with Frenzy + Bloodlust + Blood Thirst. DR bypass of 16 with carnage is fun. :)

For late game it's always better to use dual wielding, Ring of Searing Flames and focus on Heart of Fury though...

Zahua:

All about the Long Pain. :) Especially with Anitlei (= 0 recovery with Swift Strikes and durganized robes) this is a lot of fun. Rest like Witch Doctor build basically.

Sagani:

Stormcaller or Persistance - nothing fancy. The Golden Gaze is fun, too. The spell chance works with Driving Flight (= more procs) and Dangerous Implement + Vicious Aim + Outlander's Frenzy add up nicely. Also fun with Swift Aim in order to get near 0 recovery. Stunning Shots with two projectiles is also good.

Devil of Caroc:

Godansthunyr + Badgradr's Barricade + Binding Rope. This is quite awesome. The stun from the hammer + stuck lead to Deathblow-crits all the time - also with Thrust of Tattered Veils from the shield. This is one of the few builds where Riposte is not too bad, too.

Durance:

Fire priest build basically. Or giving him Inspired Flame and WF soldier, Runner's Wounding Shot and Firebrand. Firebrand works with Inspired Flame as well as with WF Soldier so you can use it with very high ACC (like a fighter) and it's really good with Aggrandizing Radiance + Minor Avatar (if you don't want to waste spells).

All those are not necessarily the best builds when the game ends, but they are rather good in the mid game because you won't have to rely on end game gear - when the game is supereasy anyways.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

In the playthrough I've almost finished, I always brought Eder along as a tank, since I could never manage to replace him with anyone. Pallegina and an adventurer barbarian I made lacked something. Beyond that, I liked to pick people who could stack conditions that set up my crossbow rogue's deathblows.

I have to ask: how do you build Kana Rua as a tank? He's always felt fairly fragile to me, but getting him to replace Eder in the role sometimes sounds tempting.

I'm also surprised that Blast is considered useful... the damage dealt by implements has always felt negligible.

When building my own party, not using in game NPCs, I like the MC Barb, Druid, Druid, Rangers (x3) with Bears. Barb wielding Firebrand then Tidefall. Druids releasing lightning death then shifting and charging, Rangers with Bows and Sword n Board setups. This party is both woodland themed and very effective. Not big on buffs but hits hard from round 1.

When using the in game NPCs it al depends on your choice of MC. I like using Rogue as my MC, with Eder, Durance, Aloth, Sagani and Kana. Usually dumping Eder for Meneha. She is my favorite warrior NPC. High level Barbs rock in this game. They only struggle with bosses but that is what your MC is for!

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

I have to ask: how do you build Kana Rua as a tank? He's always felt fairly fragile to me, but getting him to replace Eder in the role sometimes sounds tempting.

You skill survivial up to 14 and use Fulvano's Amulet or a Belt of Bountiful Healing and give him Ancient Memory + Beloved Spirits + Veteran's Recovery + Weapon & Shield + other defensive talents like Cautious Attack and Superior Deflection and start the game with March of the Kamoa until you get Dragon Thrashed. :) Or you skip the regeneration part altogether and put all talent points into defensive talents like Bear's Fortitude and stuff.

I'm also surprised that Blast is considered useful... the damage dealt by implements has always felt negligible.

That's because you didn't know that Blast works with on-crit effects like stunning and overbearing and also works well with spell chances like that from the soulbound sceptre or the Golden Gaze, making it proc its spell a lot more often (depending on how many enemies you hit with one shot - Pull of Eora helps).

You maybe also didn't know that Kalakoth's Minor Blights will work very well with Blast, creating cascading explosions which lead to a lot of hits. This can be used with Combusting Wounds to deal tons of damage. Blast can also be awesome if you combine Penetrating Blast + Expose Vulnerabilites. It'll overcome 10 DR then which makes it powerful against mid-DR mobs, too.

It used to be even better: Blast worked with Envenomed Strike so that all enemies which got hit by Blast also got poisoned. Sadly, that got nerfed recently. :(

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Having two dedicated tanks early to mid game helps ALOT on POTD.

I don't really have a favourite party comp I just don't roll with chanters or monks purely because I don't enjoy playing with them. Barbarians take along time to find there feet but are fun once they hit the higher levels 10+

If I could rank classes in order of fun factor:

1. Cipher melee

2. Cipher ranged

3. Melee wizard

4. Casting wizard

5. Priest

6. Barbarian

Druids are powerful but there storm spells make the game to boring for me so I try and avoid them. Relentless storm; the last true overpowered spell in the game.

• Like 1

1. Cipher melee

2. Cipher ranged

3. Melee wizard

4. Casting wizard

5. Priest

6. Barbarian

Huh, that's pretty much my favorite composition so far.

Although instead of melee wizard I used paladin sup/tank.

• Like 1

You skill survivial up to 14 and use Fulvano's Amulet or a Belt of Bountiful Healing and give him Ancient Memory + Beloved Spirits + Veteran's Recovery + Weapon & Shield + other defensive talents like Cautious Attack and Superior Deflection and start the game with March of the Kamoa until you get Dragon Thrashed. :) Or you skip the regeneration part altogether and put all talent points into defensive talents like Bear's Fortitude and stuff.

That's because you didn't know that Blast works with on-crit effects like stunning and overbearing and also works well with spell chances like that from the soulbound sceptre or the Golden Gaze, making it proc its spell a lot more often (depending on how many enemies you hit with one shot - Pull of Eora helps).

You maybe also didn't know that Kalakoth's Minor Blights will work very well with Blast, creating cascading explosions which lead to a lot of hits. This can be used with Combusting Wounds to deal tons of damage. Blast can also be awesome if you combine Penetrating Blast + Expose Vulnerabilites. It'll overcome 10 DR then which makes it powerful against mid-DR mobs, too.

It used to be even better: Blast worked with Envenomed Strike so that all enemies which got hit by Blast also got poisoned. Sadly, that got nerfed recently. :(

Interesting! I'll keep it in mind for future runs. Although I suppose I could test it out on high-level bounties when I'm done with Concelhaunt on this run.

In fairness, the point in the game where wizards, priests and druids start surging ahead of everything else is also around the point where you both start out-leveling encounters and money stops feeling restrictive (AKA time for DAoM Potions / Confusion and Paralysis Scrolls for everyone).  At that point pretty much any well constructed party is going to just run over most non-dragon fights.

Don't get me wrong, a steady diet of Devotions / Shadowflame / Storms on top of whatever else you're running is still a non-trivial step up, but it's not essential.

Ciphers are a very big deal in the early to early-mid game, before those casters come online, with a steady diet of Whispers and Bindings - to the point where the scariest things in act 1 are random Forest Lurkers that are immune to both.

• Like 1

In fairness, the point in the game where wizards, priests and druids start surging ahead of everything else is also around the point where you both start out-leveling encounters and money stops feeling restrictive (AKA time for DAoM Potions / Confusion and Paralysis Scrolls for everyone).  At that point pretty much any well constructed party is going to just run over most non-dragon fights.

Don't get me wrong, a steady diet of Devotions / Shadowflame / Storms on top of whatever else you're running is still a non-trivial step up, but it's not essential.

Ciphers are a very big deal in the early to early-mid game, before those casters come online, with a steady diet of Whispers and Bindings - to the point where the scariest things in act 1 are random Forest Lurkers that are immune to both.

You don't "out level encounter's" what you are describing is experienced players getting better at beating the game.  

On my first 3 play throughs I found the game very difficult and only started playing path of the dammed after that. It probably took me another couple of play throughs on POTD to get to the point where I don't play the game anymore because I find it to easy.

So taking this into consideration first time players would find wizards, druids and priests extremely invaluable right through  out the game. So "in fairness" I must disagree with the above.

Ciphers are my favourite class but they are not on the same level as wizards, druids, priests at any stage of the game. Ciphers have whisper of treason early and mental binding but the durations are very short. 

At early levels Wizards have: parasitic staff, hardned veil, chillfog, haste, fireballs, blights,

Priests have: holy power, iconic projection, painful interdiction, healing, armor of faith, dire blessing, circle protection

Druids have the all powerfull spirit shift at level 1! this is a game breaker power so early especially the hasted cat. Then they get firebrand, insect swarm, blizzard, retuning storm

Edited by firkraag888

I'm min-max offense minded around synergy. Barb has 18 CON, everyone else has 3 base CON. Everyone has 3 RES. Barb DR, and this party's ability to disable everything with statuses makes both those stats fairly irrelevant.

5 hirelings

Barb, pale elf dueling vial loner lance and the club that debuffs RES by 5

Druid, crit orlan, stag, with soulbound wand

Paladin, aumua, Darcozzi, with marking wand

Chanter, boreal dwarf, with golden gaze. (I can't pass up fire lash buff chant)

Cipher (MC), wood elf, with fire wand-usually opens in stealth from max range "casting" confusion

Priest, moon godlike, Skaen, with little savior

The 2 would-be-nices I miss from no wizard is level 4 spell master of the OP tentacle tank summon and win-button prismatic wall.

Edited by MasterCipher

My last PotD playthrough was by far my favorite party. I don't have particular builds, I just go by gut. I usually start off choosing defense skills/talents then go heavy into damage choices. After that I just gauge if I am mostly dying... er being knocked out... or mostly staying alive, but not killing fast enough to decide what to choose next. I do try to keep with an eye to synergies to maximize where I can.

Charname: Wizard

built Chanter/Thief (ranged mostly, but great sword capable)

built melee-ish Priest

built Fighter

Grieving Mother (ranged)

Hiravias (kind of bounced back and forth ranged/melee)

My front line was fighter and swapping out between my priest and chanter depending on how each fared at any given levels. And sometimes I was just lazy enough that I wanted my thief to deal with traps and locked chests up front instead of walking all the way from the back of the group.

Joe

Oh, I also had a rogue in the party until I came across GM and H. So I was at 5 party members for much of the early game. I used the 6th slot to pickup NPCs, level them up for the hell of it, and then use them for stronghold quests whenever I got the stronghold.

Edited by JFutral

You don't "out level encounter's" what you are describing is experienced players getting better at beating the game.  

Two points on this.

First, there's the ability of an experienced player to 'out-build' the game that increases as you progress through it.  When you are going through chapter 1, you certainly have some options for optimizing your build, but those levers are limited - you only have a couple skills and traits per character, and your gear choices are very restricted.  Cash is a limited resource, and even with cash basic stuff like plants for crafting isn't widely available until Defiance Bay.

At level 16 with optimal builds and picking between all the items in the game, an experienced player can make builds that just roll over everything in sight without trying very hard.  You just don't have the tools to do that at level 4, and you need deep knowledge of the game and tight tactics to win instead.

Second, the nuance that experience comes from quests, not fights, and the non-linear nature of the chapters lets you pick and choose the easiest quests at any time to level, and only go back to the fights once they are easy.  This also becomes easier as you get deeper into the game - unless I have been missing some early experience somewhere, you're going to crash into Caed Nua or Raedric's Hold at level 4 no matter what you do, but you don't have to fight much, if at all, in chapter 2 until you're level 6 with a much wider variety of gear, at which point you can go back and start rolling over the easier encounters to progress.

This combination of dynamics, the proliferation of choices, ends up making the game progressively easier as you advance for the experienced player.

So taking this into consideration first time players would find wizards, druids and priests extremely invaluable right through  out the game. So "in fairness" I must disagree with the above.

They are, for sure, valuable throughout the game and always provide a bunch of power tools for overcoming a particularly difficult encounter.  I do not mean to imply those classes are 'bad' early game.  I will 100% grant you that heavy use of wizards, druids, and priests, micromanaged properly with resting after every encounter, will have a higher theoretical power than other classes, even early in the game.

At the same time, a properly specced party of paladins, chanters, and ciphers will just run over an awful lot of the early game under nearly full AI control, and can full clear entire maps that way without much rest.

I totally get that if you want to really optimize for maximum peak power, setting all your consumables up and taking full advantage of every little edge available while picking and choosing your encounters that you're going to love the vancian casters.  If you're playing a PotD + Trial of Iron game where you need to be super cautious and aware of what peak possible power is you want to make heavy use of those classes - inconveniences like rest spam aren't a luxury, but a way of life.

On the other hand if you are trying to streamline your gameplay to simplify combat and minimize dead time, those same vancian casters are a liability until much later in the game.

While the culture of this game (at least of the hardcore community that posts on boards!) is very much about the former and really milking performance out of optimized parties in the hardest fights, in a broader sense the demand is for fast, consistent, and forgiving builds or strategies.  You can vastly simplify your play and beat every encounter in the game pretty handily without using any of the above - and there's a lot of power in the simplicity of that.

• Like 2

It is quite easy to out level the game. Just clear the first act and Raedrics, then tackle the paths. By the time you emerge from the paths the rest of the game is a breeze except for the Cancelhaunts a few select encounters in the WM/WM2.

Or go back the opposite route and just level up like crazy in act II. Either way it is EASY lo iut level the game. The addition of WM/WM2 makes it even easier to do so.

I hope PoE2 corrects this.

BG2 was the same.

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

• 5 months later...

When building a party I usually have 4-5 main priorities:

1. Sturdiness

2. Consistent non-rest AoE DPS

3. Single Target Damage

4. Hard Crown Control

5. Support

To that extent, I suppose my "ideal" party is:

1. Dragon Thrashed Chanter Main Tank (Extremely tanky, strongest consistent AoE DPS in the game, Good Single Target Damage with Seven Nights)

2. Marker Paladin (Support, Tanky, Alpha Strike Damage, Dual Marking weapons, consistent AoE DPS)

3. DW/2H Fighter (Great Single Target Damage, Much Tankier than Rogue/Monk, Great Speed)

4. Wizard (Strong AoE CC, Single Target CC and Damage)

5. Cipher/Druid (Either of these is fine and fulfils different roles. I try not to use druids because it always turns in to a relentless storm fest, though Defensive Mindweb later in the game is just as much a GG ability)

6. Priest (Buffs/AoE Damage)

What kind of set-up exactly doe the "Marker Paladin" have? In particular, by "dual Marking weapons," do you mean 2 switching guns or dual wielding two Marking melee weapons?

My favorite party comp today:

Paladin (for the stackable single target ACC boost and the good burst damage)

Monk (for the awesome single target CC and AoE damage)

Barbarian or Chanter (for the great AoE damage without needing resources)

Priest (for the stackable AoE ACC boost, the prayers and the damage spamming if needed)

Wizard (for the good CC and good AoE damage spamming if needed)

Druid (for the awesome combined AoE CC/damage and the insane single target damage in the backline if needed)

Besides the obvious synergies between things like priest's ACC buffs + casters' CC and paladin's ACC buff + monk's Force of Anguish there are also those hidden gems like Combusting Wounds + Heart of Fury or priest's Withdraw + chanter's Dragon Thrashed.

Another plus: all those classes can be effective in melee as well as ranged (with the exception of the barb who is awful in ranged combat). So you can vary the formation as you see fit.

That's my ideal party when it comes to pretty standard class builds.

But I also like to play other (sometimes gimmicky yet great) class builds like that 1-INT-rogue with Tidefall or a high INT rogue stuffed with spell binding gear to make use of Deathblows + AoE damage or a quick-switch-cipher or a dual flail fighter with 3 PER. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

I don't really play pillars anymore because I've played it so many times it has become to easy for me. But if I did play again my fav party comp would be probably an mix of ranged and melee of the following four classes

1. Cipher (awesome class, startling originality from OBS, so much fun to play)

2. Wizard ( Great fun to play, so versatile, never a dull moment with a wiz)

3. Barb ( interesting class, I wouldn't say they are all that powerful or effective but they are fun)

4. Pally (again good fun to play, OBS pulled of the paladin extremely well IMO)

I have kind of lost faith in these classes for the following reasons:

1. Priest ( they make the game to easy for me with there powerful buffs and you can beat just about any fight in the entire game be using minor avatar, abydons hammer, maegfolc skull then raining fire on everything)

2. Druids (relentless storm is ridiculously powerful and should be nerfed)

3. Rogues ( they have no good mid/ late game talents to choose from)

4. Ranger (again the stormcaller bow make the game to easy with the storms summon)

5. Chanter (don't like the idea of dragon thrashed being such a core centre piece of one class, eg one super powerful ability that defines all)

6. Monks. BORING. The most boring class in pillars of eternity.

Edited by firkraag888